Electronic Warfare, What Can Be Done.

48 replies to this topic

#41 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:36 AM

By the way, sometimes I have the feeling (lol), that AMS works against MRM. Though it shouldn't.

#42 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 04:22 AM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 10 August 2023 - 02:36 AM, said:

By the way, sometimes I have the feeling (lol), that AMS works against MRM. Though it shouldn't.

It shoots down some missiles from MRM salvos, quad ams with skills probably shoots quite many.

#43 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:53 PM

it does and it should, its Anti-Missile-System not Anti-one-kind-of-Missiles-System. even works on SRMs if they are fired far enough away.

but yeah some good ideas so far and some i think are horrible but any idea is worth at least looking at for a moment. the game sadly has a LOT of equipment that just never gets used. oh there is stuff i don't personally use like Flamers, AC/UAC2s, and regular SLs, but most or because i don't play Light mechs and prefer mid range play (hell i rarely use SRMs for that matter).

#44 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:41 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 10 August 2023 - 02:36 AM, said:

It does and it should. AMS works on every kind of missile, up to and including NARCs; it's just most effective against LRMs, which are the slowest ones and which usually have the longest distance to cover. And I think also have the least health per-missile, as well. But it'll still put a noticeable dent in MRM salvos, particularly if there's stacked systems around.

#45 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:25 AM

yea but mrm usually gets through by shear tube count. 40 missiles will hit stuff even if you manage to kill 30 of them.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 August 2023 - 05:25 AM.

#46 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:20 AM

true its why with most IS LRM boats i shoot for 40 tubes if you can (30 on a Medium usually). hell even with my MRM 60 Marauder (and a few other mechs that i field mass MRM) i have had a good bit of my damage eaten up if there is just one Corsair-7A on the field near where i am shooting. though i honestly don't mind that so many people refuse to use AMS, it just means i get to do more damage when i pull out one of my LRM boats, just don't cry when i rain on you if you aren't carrying one.

#47 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:37 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 11 August 2023 - 06:20 AM, said:

true its why with most IS LRM boats i shoot for 40 tubes if you can (30 on a Medium usually). hell even with my MRM 60 Marauder (and a few other mechs that i field mass MRM) i have had a good bit of my damage eaten up if there is just one Corsair-7A on the field near where i am shooting. though i honestly don't mind that so many people refuse to use AMS, it just means i get to do more damage when i pull out one of my LRM boats, just don't cry when i rain on you if you aren't carrying one.

1 AMS is waste of tonnage if LRM boat is trying to kill you (even that Corsair-7A won't stop LRM boat killing it, I have killed many with lurms and I have eaten a lot lurms running one.) that's why I don't run AMS almost ever, 1 is pointless many starts doing something meaningful specially if your buddies are doing same... That is if there are even lurmboats shooting me, so mostly running those during events requiring missile damage.

#48 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 07:01 AM

they took away much of the score from missile farming. it used to be you could ams your way to a top score if you could counter enough lerms. for awhile i was equipping ams for score alone. now if you more or less dont get hit much by lerms, because you are good at cover or positioning, then go ahead and throw those ams units in the trash.

#49 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 August 2023 - 07:19 AM

meh to each their own i guess. i see it as a team game so if say half your team has one AMS each and they are staying within that bubble so they overlap you can do a lot of missile negating. yeah you can damage a Corsair with say an LRM-40 but it takes a LOT of ammo to do it and you have to gt way to close. but yeah they got rid of a LOT of the reward from using AMS but at the same time they nerfed the hell out LRM and any equipment that helped it at around the same time (while i think even buffing AMS). i don't mind the not getting Match score for AMS to much but i think you should still get good C-bill payout if you shot down a bunch, after all you did prevent you entire team from taking damage.

but yeah we are starting to get into an LRM discussion here. so lets try to get back on the EW conversation. (i know i was part of starting it, I'm Ex US Army Artilleryman (13-M, MLRS operator) so i do love me some indirect fire)

so what do we have so far. some good suggestions on TCs, some alternate ways of doing ECM, and extra features for BAP. a few on C3s something i don't personally like as its hard enough to get people to use the R key let alone coms to give enemy location data but its still worth mentioning.

the conversation on AMS does bring up another TC type we could add to the weapon specific ones and that is a support equipment TC. something that improves AMS performance as well as boosts to other things that would fit that group. (can't think of anything past the normal sensor boosts at the moment though. perhaps increasing AMS Range and/or damage. maybe even having greater sensor range boosts that the weapon TCs but not having the boosts for weapon systems.)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 11 August 2023 - 07:27 AM.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users