Unit Coffers Ideas

General

3 replies to this topic

#1 Captain ACAB

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 06:36 AM

So I've heard discussion of what, other than recruiting members, C-Bills in Unit coffers could be put to use for, and we know exchange of mech between accounts would be disruptive t= the PGI monetization model, so I have a couple ideas...

1. Would it be too disruptive to the PGI profit model to allow units to unlock past Trial mechs that are owned by the unit, but not any accounts? Unit would pay a C-Bill fee to unlock additional trial mechs housed in unit owned bays (also purchasable) and any member can field these mechs, but they cannot be customized or have skills added. widens the choices of mechs for unit cadets or those considering purchases to try out, doesn't add mechs to any accounts, and they're non customizable.. seems fairly harmless.

2. Could units have stocks of weapons and engines that any members can use stock from for customizinig mechs... although, there would have to be something in place to prevent them from being resold as a workaround to transferring C-Bills between accounts. Maybe bind them to the unit and prevent any resale on these items?

#2 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:06 AM

I don't think the problem is whether any particular idea of this kind would be disruptive or not, but rather that the game, and CW/FW/FP in particular, is full of abortive features that linger from a time when PGI had a more ambitious design in mind (or pretended to have one)

Community warfare as it was called back then had future purposes laid out for features like the galaxy map, the unit coffers and so on. It was supposed to become a much bigger and more complex game mode, but then somewhere along the line they gave up on it and made it what it is today. A game mode with dropdecks, but no macro game where the galaxy map can be influenced or where faction affiliation or unit coffers etc matters.

You'd need a new commitment to Community warfare as originally imagined, or a new vision with similar scope, to have any hope of meaningfully discussing changes to features that are connected to it.

#3 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,689 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 August 2023 - 12:35 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 08 August 2023 - 07:06 AM, said:

I don't think the problem is whether any particular idea of this kind would be disruptive or not, but rather that the game, and CW/FW/FP in particular, is full of abortive features that linger from a time when PGI had a more ambitious design in mind (or pretended to have one)

Community warfare as it was called back then had future purposes laid out for features like the galaxy map, the unit coffers and so on. It was supposed to become a much bigger and more complex game mode, but then somewhere along the line they gave up on it and made it what it is today. A game mode with dropdecks, but no macro game where the galaxy map can be influenced or where faction affiliation or unit coffers etc matters.

You'd need a new commitment to Community warfare as originally imagined, or a new vision with similar scope, to have any hope of meaningfully discussing changes to features that are connected to it.

I'd add my own thoughts but you've pretty much pointed everything out already. Open shut.

#4 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:02 AM

They never bothered to develop the playable portion of CW so it really doesn't matter what the coffers do.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users