I'm The Last One Left What Do I Fafniring Do!?!?

16 replies to this topic

#1 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:35 AM

I've been in games where i was the last one left in a highly damaged mech or even a light mech with absolutly no chance of winning and if it's assault or domination i just let the other team win, but then I see this game where a pirates bane is hiding from My team nobody calls him out and reveals his position.

Yet when I do the same I get called out called a coward position revealed so which is it? Do i hide or do i just march blindly into the enemy?? tell me.

#2 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:41 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 24 August 2023 - 06:35 AM, said:

I've been in games where i was the last one left in a highly damaged mech or even a light mech with absolutly no chance of winning and if it's assault or domination i just let the other team win, but then I see this game where a pirates bane is hiding from My team nobody calls him out and reveals his position.

Yet when I do the same I get called out called a coward position revealed so which is it? Do i hide or do i just march blindly into the enemy?? tell me.

Do whatever you want, mute the whiners. If they didn't want to watch you scurry about frantically looking for a few more cheap shots for MS they shouldn't have ******* died first. Don't just hide though, that doesn't get you anything. Drag it out for a few more shots, but don't just hide for muh kdr.

Edited by the check engine light, 24 August 2023 - 06:44 AM.

#3 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:58 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 24 August 2023 - 06:41 AM, said:

Do whatever you want, mute the whiners. If they didn't want to watch you scurry about frantically looking for a few more cheap shots for MS they shouldn't have ******* died first. Don't just hide though, that doesn't get you anything. Drag it out for a few more shots, but don't just hide for muh kdr.
pretty sure the pirates bane did just that though.

I mean yes I did hide but i hid in the shadows hopeing that someone would come buy and i could ambush them, but since my team gave my position away i couldn't do that.

Edited by KursedVixen, 24 August 2023 - 06:59 AM.

#4 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 04:54 PM

When you hide and power off, make sure you're facing a wall or something so your teammates can't tell where you are.

#5 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 05:29 PM

View PostRisen Trash, on 25 August 2023 - 04:54 PM, said:

When you hide and power off, make sure you're facing a wall or something so your teammates can't tell where you are.

F11 gives exact coords on spectated mechs. Just saying.

#6 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 05:35 PM

1. Running and hiding as a light mech is a reasonable strategy, and a well-piloted light is probably the most capable thing at clutching games. Maybe he wasn't actually doing that, but it can be hard to tell whether a light pilot is preserving their KDR or just looking for an opening.

2. It takes a lot more effort to tell the enemy team where a light mech is, 'cause they'll just move. Even if you go to the effort of constantly updating the enemy team on their position, there's no guarantee they'll have anything capable of catching them.

3. Not everybody does this, you just got unlucky. Play however you want as long as you're trying to win, and tell them to shut up and that you're actually playing the game.

#7 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 August 2023 - 07:10 PM

It depends on how many of the enemy is left, how much time is left in the match and the type of match. For assault you could try capping but the tick rate is so slow you're almost better off just rambo-ing it. Conquest it really comes down to points and if any fast moving enemy left. I've seen the dead team as in all 12 on a team dead but got the win since they hit 750 first. Try and cap the outer points ignoring theta to get 750. Skirmish is pretty much just yo lo into the enemy with the 70-90 alphas out there now. Sure you can try and run n gun hoping to separate the enemy to kill off the wounded ones that are shot up most first but the days of a light clutching a game like that are done for. Thanks cauldron and pgi weapon bloat/higher alpha.

Even the few that do try the power off/on trick are bird called from idiot spectators that don't know what its for or how to pull it off successfully. The best way is to have a rock or corner to use along with a uav. Launch the uav and go a bit into cover waiting a bit to power down to see if any pursuers get under uav then power down.

Some times its just better to go meh and take on the nearest enemy and drop an arty on both of you. Die fighting. No one wants to put up with a hiding loser powered down even if you have no weapons/ammo left. If you got no weapons left then hell with it. Hit the "1" on number pad yell out to the enemy your location and then ram the nearest one. There's no rule about giving out your location to the enemy if it is done by you.

#8 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 07:14 PM

You're supposed to keep trying to win and not just stretch the game out. If you just powerdown in a corner during Skirmish and drag the match out, your team will be mad at you and its actually against the rules. You'll get reported for non-participation.

Keep trying to win and get match score. Even if there's no chance, you can still deal damage or something and get yourself some more MS. You don't have to throw your mech away or anything. Just don't drag out a Skirmish match. Any other game mode they'll just win on points and you can save yourself the death if that even matters to you. But Match Score is the main thing that matters even for rankings, so just go for that.

#9 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:55 AM

go down swingin i say. its alright if a light disengages and then comes back from another angle but just sitting in one spot and hiding is a whole other story. if you have no weapons and there is still a teammate left be a distraction, get in the enemy's face or hug their legs to hamper their movement. lots of things you can do even if you don't have weapons or are the last mech on the field. if you are the last mech and have no weapons then cap. if its skirmish then run in and get killed or something i don't know as long as you aren't dragging out the match. (i have had a couple times where i am last mech standing but have no weapons so i just run in and see how long it takes them to take me out. sometimes its surprises me how long it takes them)

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 11:48 AM

i usually look for a kill on my way out. best way to preserve kdr is to take another one out with you.

i can understand trying to break up a murder ball or taking time to find an easy target. of course some people claim they are doing this and never even fire a potshot.

#11 CherokeeRose187

• PipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 07:21 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 25 August 2023 - 05:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Why do you just have to go and ruin it for everyone?

#12 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:36 AM

Hiding without the intention to fight is non-participation and against the rules. Some people still break the rules. If someone else does it and it bothers you, click the report button. If you want to do it, you risk being reported but nobody is technically stopping you. Hard to say if anyone is going to care enough to report or if PGI is going to care enough to do anything about it. But unless you're going out of your way to keep track, you don't know if that guy you just reported for it will still be allowed back in the game tomorrow, and I sure don't want to risk any sort of ban on my account filled with mechs I spent real money on.

#13 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:40 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 25 August 2023 - 05:29 PM, said:

someone once told me they changed that so you couldn't

#14 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 10:35 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 29 August 2023 - 07:40 AM, said:

someone once told me they changed that so you couldn't

someone is wrong

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:46 PM

If you have no chance to win, drawing out the game is just being a **** to everyone else whose mechs are locked into the match.
And also is against the Code of Conduct.

#16 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:28 PM

If you're winning, hide! My team won a match and we out numbered the enemy team. Our mechs were very damaged, all of us one shot or no weapons (like me.) So, we hid. We ran the clock out with them trying to find us. One walked so close to me that I could hear the stomping of the mech!
If you're losing or want to go out in a blaze of glory; attack!! Have fun with it!
If people are calling you out for hiding, do like other have suggested and mute them or block them. I was in a match the other day when a brawling Fafnir decided he was going to sit at our base and wait for the enemy to come to him. People were calling him out, including me. I didn't call him a coward, but I said he was a brawling mech and should be up front fighting. He said we aren't paying his C-bills, so we weren't his boss. He died shortly afterwards.
If your team calls out your hiding spot, report them. The only time you should report your own team is if they are AFK or disconnect.

#17 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 07:05 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 02 September 2023 - 01:28 PM, said:

If you're winning, hide! My team won a match and we out numbered the enemy team. Our mechs were very damaged, all of us one shot or no weapons (like me.) So, we hid. We ran the clock out with them trying to find us. One walked so close to me that I could hear the stomping of the mech!
If you're losing or want to go out in a blaze of glory; attack!! Have fun with it!
If people are calling you out for hiding, do like other have suggested and mute them or block them. I was in a match the other day when a brawling Fafnir decided he was going to sit at our base and wait for the enemy to come to him. People were calling him out, including me. I didn't call him a coward, but I said he was a brawling mech and should be up front fighting. He said we aren't paying his C-bills, so we weren't his boss. He died shortly afterwards.
If your team calls out your hiding spot, report them. The only time you should report your own team is if they are AFK or disconnect.

Winning is one thing, sometimes hiding can be a strategy. I think we're mostly talking about people who are about to lose anyway and hide just to preserve their K/D ratio. And that keeps all the rest of us from being able to move on to the next match. In most sports we use the phrase "unsportsmanlike conduct." I don't care whose team they're on, get them reported. The game as a whole is better for everyone if people like that aren't allowed to play.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users