Announcing Mechwarrior 5: Clans

149 replies to this topic

#61 IronClaws

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:23 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 17 September 2023 - 08:09 PM, said:

It was a Smoke Jaguar Khan who spearheaded the invasion as ilKhan. Also MW2 covered the Wolves and Jade Falcons in the main campaign and the Ghost Bears were featured in the expansion pack so the Jags were due our time in the sun. I am so glad that the Clan I won my Bloodname with is finally getting featured. The children of Kerensky have returned.

They were a great Clan when Khan Osis was in charge, but then the later Khans turned them into basically just a gang.

#62 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 18 September 2023 - 03:36 AM

View Postmartian, on 17 September 2023 - 08:51 PM, said:

And those filthy mercenaries destroyed the last hope for the survival of the Clan Smoke Jaguar.

That sucks. Posted Image

Actually they didn't. The Jaguars were resurrected. Posted Image

#63 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 06:27 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 18 September 2023 - 03:36 AM, said:

Actually they didn't. The Jaguars were resurrected. Posted Image

Clan Smoke Jaguar was Annihilated in 3060 and died with the death of ilKhan Osis. Afterwards, the Grand Council of the Clans accepted this Annihilation. It is immaterial how some stragglers and survivors decided to call themselves.

#64 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:46 AM

I hope it has a good story, an amazing soundtrack (get Timothy Seals on it) a more complicated and rich mech lab than MWO, and multiplayer.

Please don't dumb the game down for console users.

Good luck!

#65 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:33 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 15 September 2023 - 05:39 PM, said:

Maybe you missed the STEAM link. Posted Image

When will it appear on other game sites like GOG and EGS? I prefer to buy my games from the places that give the developers the highest percentage. Steam's 30% "tax" is horrible.

#66 Cheri Entop

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:17 AM

Yay, Space Fascists. Are there going to be significant gameplay updates? Since it's still MW5 I'm guessing not?

#67 AmbidXtrousGNOME

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:47 AM

Super excited. Good MechWarrior / Bad MechWarrior experience, I at least like that there is new things for the IP coming out (even thou I very much hope they are good). PGI, are you willing to answer some questions about the new title?

1. Why MechWarrior 5 Clans? and not something like MW6 Clans or MW Clans? I know when I first saw the PC Gamer piece I thought "Cool, a Clan DLC for MW5 finally". Choosing to name it MW5 Clans, I could see people who didn't really dig MW5 see the title and just think that same thing and not give it a try.

2. Can you at least say if there will be more mech chassis than are currently in MW5/MWO??? If not more, than different?

3. How was the mech lab "revamped" (using the word from the Steam Store description)? Can you tease that out a little bit?

4. Just out of curiosity, is this game being made with unreal engine 4 or 5?

#68 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 18 September 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

1. Why MechWarrior 5 Clans? and not something like MW6 Clans or MW Clans?

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries was also a standalone game, but since it used the same game engine as the original MechWarrior 2 and took the place in the same period, it got the same designation.

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was also a standalone game, but since it used the same game engine as the original MechWarrior 4: Vengeance and took the place in the same period, it got the same designation.

So it makes sense that MechWarrior 5: Clans gets the same designation as MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 18 September 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

2. Can you at least say if there will be more mech chassis than are currently in MW5/MWO??? If not more, than different?

The upcoming expansion pack "The Dragon's Gambit" for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will include the Longbow assault BattleMech.

Posted Image

I guess that it is a quite safe bet that will see the Longbow in MechWarrior 5: Clans too.

#69 AmbidXtrousGNOME

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:36 PM

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 11:58 AM, said:

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries was also a standalone game, but since it used the same game engine as the original MechWarrior 2 and took the place in the same period, it got the same designation.

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was also a standalone game, but since it used the same game engine as the original MechWarrior 4: Vengeance and took the place in the same period, it got the same designation.

So it makes sense that MechWarrior 5: Clans gets the same designation as MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.

Good point, my fault for not thinking through my question and doing my homework. I just don't want the people who have a negative opinion of MW5 to write off the new title on name alone.

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 11:58 AM, said:

The upcoming expansion pack "The Dragon's Gambit" for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will include the Longbow assault BattleMech.

Posted Image

I guess that it is a quite safe bet that will see the Longbow in MechWarrior 5: Clans too.

I'm assuming recent tradition dictates that the Longbow will show up in MWO eventually so I was already grouping it presumptuously with the 'current' roster. I was wondering (hoping) that we will get to see something brand new not currently in either MW5/MWO. Couldn't you just read my mind and know that's what I meant? (JK, thanks for the reply)

Edited by AmbidXtrousGNOME, 18 September 2023 - 12:37 PM.

#70 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:19 PM

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 18 September 2023 - 12:36 PM, said:

Good point, my fault for not thinking through my question and doing my homework. I just don't want the people who have a negative opinion of MW5 to write off the new title on name alone.

I guess that the people who have a negative opinion of MW5 would write the new game off on the name of its developer, i.e. Piranha Games Inc. anyway.

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 18 September 2023 - 12:36 PM, said:

I'm assuming recent tradition dictates that the Longbow will show up in MWO eventually so I was already grouping it presumptuously with the 'current' roster. I was wondering (hoping) that we will get to see something brand new not currently in either MW5/MWO. Couldn't you just read my mind and know that's what I meant? (JK, thanks for the reply)

There has been no official announcement regarding possible new 'Mechs in MW5:Clans.

But considering that the new 'Mech that would appear in MW5:Clans should be sellable to the MWO players as well, and that the MWO powercreep is real and many MWO players seem to prefer assault 'Mechs ...
  • Phoenix Hawk IIC
  • Iron Cheetah or Turkina
  • Crockett - this one would have the advantage of being available as the Crockett to the Clans and as the Katana to the DCMS (if we are talking about MW5:Clans).
  • and many other possible 'Mechs Posted Image
Of course, PGI can always offer their own homegrown 'Mech such as when they offered the Sun Spider.

So just wait and check the MW5:Clans web page from time to time. Posted Image

#71 Airmikee

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:49 PM

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 06:27 AM, said:

Clan Smoke Jaguar was Annihilated in 3060 and died with the death of ilKhan Osis. Afterwards, the Grand Council of the Clans accepted this Annihilation. It is immaterial how some stragglers and survivors decided to call themselves.

No, the clan gets resurrected wholly in 3151.

From SARNA:

After being released by the Republic of the Sphere, the Fidelis revealed their Smoke Jaguar origins to Khan Alaric Ward. The aging Custos known as Paul Moon, came to an agreement with Khan Ward that would allow for the eventual rebirth of Clan Smoke Jaguar upon Clan Wolf's ascension to ilClan. Following the total victory of Clan Wolf over the forces of Clan Jade Falcon in the ilClan Trials, Khan Ward honored his agreement and the Smoke Jaguars were born anew.

#72 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 03:29 PM

It was basically announced months ago, actually pretty surprising it took this long to go froward to announce it officially and then with a 30 second barely even a trailer for the game.

#73 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:31 PM

View PostAirmikee, on 18 September 2023 - 01:49 PM, said:

No, the clan gets resurrected wholly in 3151.

From SARNA:

After being released by the Republic of the Sphere, the Fidelis revealed their Smoke Jaguar origins to Khan Alaric Ward. The aging Custos known as Paul Moon, came to an agreement with Khan Ward that would allow for the eventual rebirth of Clan Smoke Jaguar upon Clan Wolf's ascension to ilClan. Following the total victory of Clan Wolf over the forces of Clan Jade Falcon in the ilClan Trials, Khan Ward honored his agreement and the Smoke Jaguars were born anew.

Clan Wolf was declared Abjured by the Grand Coucil of the Clans long before it arrived to Terra.

#74 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:31 PM

View Postsycocys, on 18 September 2023 - 03:29 PM, said:

It was basically announced months ago, actually pretty surprising it took this long to go froward to announce it officially and then with a 30 second barely even a trailer for the game.

"Yes, thank you, PGI, I know what a Timberwolf looks like."

#75 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:35 PM

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 06:27 AM, said:

In Children of Kerensky and Hour of the Wolf, Clan Smoke Jaguar was resurrected from those same stragglers and survivors. It's canon.

#76 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 08:46 PM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 18 September 2023 - 08:35 PM, said:

In Children of Kerensky and Hour of the Wolf, Clan Smoke Jaguar was resurrected from those same stragglers and survivors. It's canon.

The Grand Council of the Clans does not care about what some non-Clan does or does not.

It's canon. Posted Image

#77 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:02 PM

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 08:46 PM, said:

The Grand Council of the Clans does not care about what some non-Clan does or does not.

It's canon. Posted Image

And the ilClan does not care what anyone else thinks. Might makes right. It is Canon. Posted Image Additionally, since the "Annihilation" was not official as it was not done by the other Clans, meaning every single bloodline being wiped out, other Clans laid claim to and integrated Smoke Jaguar genetic legacies which means they never really died out in the first place. It is Canon. Posted Image

#78 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:05 AM

Will MW5 Mercs and MW5 Clans be part of the same package? IE. MW5 Clans is a major add-on to the current available MW 5 Mercs? That way, when the campaign is done, all the improvements, mechs, gear, etc, will be available to the main open world game without modders needing to port the assets over to MW5 Mercs. Or vice versa.

#79 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:40 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 18 September 2023 - 09:02 PM, said:

And the ilClan does not care what anyone else thinks. Might makes right. It is Canon. Posted Image Additionally, since the "Annihilation" was not official as it was not done by the other Clans, meaning every single bloodline being wiped out, other Clans laid claim to and integrated Smoke Jaguar genetic legacies which means they never really died out in the first place. It is Canon. Posted Image

That former Clan Wolf did not dare to refuse the decision of the Grand Coucil of the Clans, thus accepting the decision Abjuring it.

As you said 'Might makes right' ... and it was the mighty Grand Coucil that Abjured the Wolves and the weak Wolves were too weak to contest the decision.

#80 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:50 AM

View PostRacerX, on 19 September 2023 - 07:05 AM, said:

Will MW5 Mercs and MW5 Clans be part of the same package? IE. MW5 Clans is a major add-on to the current available MW 5 Mercs? That way, when the campaign is done, all the improvements, mechs, gear, etc, will be available to the main open world game without modders needing to port the assets over to MW5 Mercs. Or vice versa.

If I understand it correctly, MechWarrior 5: Clans is a standalone game, not some add-on or expansion pack for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.

So wait and check the MW5:Clans web page from time to time to get the official info. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users