First Contact Faction Play Event

77 replies to this topic

#61 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 October 2023 - 03:06 AM

I had 10 fights and never saw any premade. Or may be I experienced more bad things in QP, so FP is ok with me.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 02 October 2023 - 03:06 AM.

#62 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:28 AM

View PostFabint, on 01 October 2023 - 10:24 PM, said:

Also, I've been pretty amazed at how poorly designed the matching mechanisms are. I sat through a few different launches when I tried to play IS, but I guess the premades get shoved through and the pickup players are left out? Watching the number of players go from like 5/6 to 30/24 while sitting in the queue, just for it to drop back down to 6/0 because two large groups got prioity really feels pretty bad.

tl;dr this game mode is bad and whoever designed it should feel bad for being bad at their job.

I believe that the premades have priority.

#63 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:40 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 30 September 2023 - 07:42 PM, said:

Yesterday in one of my games the situation reached a ridiculous absurdity.
I get in line for the battle for the Smokе Jaguars and see the following picture: in ten minutes of waiting, 10 people added up for my faction, during the same time about 30 people added up for the House Kurita.
I immediately realized that at least two large and strong groups behind the Dragons. Obviously, they joined one faction on purpose so as not to get into battle against each other. Those they exclude the very possibility of getting unpleasant emotions from a possible defeat. They don't need interesting fights. They need fights in which they can assert themselves at the expense of weak players and satisfy their sadistic lust.
It also became obvious to me that these strong groups have already scared the players so much that single players do not want to join the Smoke Jaguar clan. Therefore, these single players also switched to the House Kurita.
And when the teams were formed, I actually saw random players on my team (more than half of whom were extremely weak players), and on the enemy team I saw a premade of six strong players.

On purpose?.... well....if there arent that many ppl playing this game...I guess, yes it is too much of a coincidence....right? it isnt like back in the day (so I heard, I wasnt there) when the game had several hundreds of active players, and one could objectively call it a coincidence.

#64 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:57 AM

Really the problem with FP are the premade (organized) teams? Guys in general terms, this game if meant to be played as "a team" I might be a hypocrite for saying this, but you loners have to form units, plan and work strategies together.

At the very (very!) least try to work as a cohesive lance.

The only players who have a business roaming around on their own, are very fast lights that have the benefit of being able to pull out when running into an enemy lance at the turn of the corner.

#65 Cheeks Akimbo

• PipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 11:03 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 02 October 2023 - 08:57 AM, said:

Really the problem with FP are the premade (organized) teams? Guys in general terms, this game if meant to be played as "a team" I might be a hypocrite for saying this, but you loners have to form units, plan and work strategies together.

At the very (very!) least try to work as a cohesive lance.

The only players who have a business roaming around on their own, are very fast lights that have the benefit of being able to pull out when running into an enemy lance at the turn of the corner.

The issue is expecting people to form a group for a week or two and do all the effort of coordinating, for not much of a prize.
Personally I play games to enjoy myself and relax after work, not make the game a new job of person wrangling.
Also the groups people are being matched against are often comp stack teams who play together for years sometimes, I doubt most starter groups are going to beat that level of coordination.

#66 Yllirion

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:43 PM

View PostCheeks Akimbo, on 02 October 2023 - 11:03 AM, said:

The issue is expecting people to form a group for a week or two and do all the effort of coordinating, for not much of a prize.
Personally I play games to enjoy myself and relax after work, not make the game a new job of person wrangling.
Also the groups people are being matched against are often comp stack teams who play together for years sometimes, I doubt most starter groups are going to beat that level of coordination.

So whats a problem? You had a tonns of QuickPlay's events for years. But PGI made only 2 (two) FP's events for last 4-5 years. And both times people crying about "premades". Hey, its 2023 now, all units are literally dead. Don't like this gamemode? Keep running around in circles in QP.

#67 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:11 PM

For anyone who hasn't gotten enough salt from the people who don't understand FP here, it's even better on the other socials.

If you're not used to playing well built mechs in a coordinated team, then you're not going to enjoy faction play. It's not the other teams fault that you set out deliberately crippling your team with your mech and play choices.

I know I'm not good enough to compete in the FP arena, so I don't handicap teams by trying and failing to play the mode. Others mileage may vary.

#68 Cheeks Akimbo

• PipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:05 PM

View PostYllirion, on 02 October 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

So whats a problem? You had a tonns of QuickPlay's events for years. But PGI made only 2 (two) FP's events for last 4-5 years. And both times people crying about "premades". Hey, its 2023 now, all units are literally dead. Don't like this gamemode? Keep running around in circles in QP.

Well they're using them to try and revive this dead mode, so asking for changes doesn't exactly hurt. Units being dead is a straight up lie, or you might not be paying attention to the scoreboard/comp scene IDK. If I didn't like the game mode again I wouldn't ask for changes.

View Postcrazytimes, on 02 October 2023 - 01:11 PM, said:

For anyone who hasn't gotten enough salt from the people who don't understand FP here, it's even better on the other socials.

If you're not used to playing well built mechs in a coordinated team, then you're not going to enjoy faction play. It's not the other teams fault that you set out deliberately crippling your team with your mech and play choices.

I know I'm not good enough to compete in the FP arena, so I don't handicap teams by trying and failing to play the mode. Others mileage may vary.

While I agree people should learn the game and communicate better before entering FP, there is a reason they stopped letting more than 4 people group in QP. Those groups had tended to dominate matches and it's the same in FP. Both have 12v12 so more drops wasn't going to help stop a steamroll, which in FP means spawn camping often. Not much skill can do about it if they're setting out to do that, as many people attest in this very thread. You also seem to fall into the trap of gatekeeping with what one can only consider as "Meta builds", the most boring of ways to play a game about customized robots. The idea is to get people playing the game mode not avoid it because they're not some top tier ganker. Also what a weird way to say get good, while turning right around and claiming you also suck?

#69 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:08 PM

View PostCheeks Akimbo, on 02 October 2023 - 02:05 PM, said:

Also what a weird way to say get good, while turning right around and claiming you also suck?

Imagine having self awareness of actual relative skill in an online game right? Crazy.

#70 Cheeks Akimbo

• PipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:51 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 02 October 2023 - 02:08 PM, said:

Imagine having self awareness of actual relative skill in an online game right? Crazy.

Sure, if it wasn't at the same time mocking others that they don't know how to play. How would you know? Seeing as you admit to not being good enough for it. Hell why are you bothering to get into the conversation if you don't even play it?

#71 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:39 PM

View PostCheeks Akimbo, on 02 October 2023 - 11:03 AM, said:

The key word here is "team" work. You can expect pugs to won a match if isn't by accident or by virtue of the other team just being as bad.

Edited by simon1812, 02 October 2023 - 07:56 PM.

#72 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:48 PM

Do you think the people such as Russ Bullock or Daeron Katz actually play the Faction Play?

#73 DirtyDevver

• Pip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:35 AM

well id like to say ive enjoyed the faction play event, its a good chance to mix things up and tweak some mechs and line up your favourites to try them out in a different environment to the usual quick play

#74 Phil Myaz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:05 PM

Good event PGI, had plenty of balanced and tight competitive games. Saw some strong groups but they were the majority of the enemy and we didn't have many games like that because so many games were dropping at the same time. In any case, most of us were able to give them a good run for their money because almost every solo player I dropped with had the common sense of taking up decent positions. Only needed to tell them which grid square to attack towards or defend from.

View PostCheeks Akimbo, on 02 October 2023 - 02:05 PM, said:

While I agree people should learn the game and communicate better before entering FP, there is a reason they stopped letting more than 4 people group in QP. Those groups had tended to dominate matches and it's the same in FP. Both have 12v12 so more drops wasn't going to help stop a steamroll, which in FP means spawn camping often. Not much skill can do about it if they're setting out to do that, as many people attest in this very thread. You also seem to fall into the trap of gatekeeping with what one can only consider as "Meta builds", the most boring of ways to play a game about customized robots. The idea is to get people playing the game mode not avoid it because they're not some top tier ganker. Also what a weird way to say get good, while turning right around and claiming you also suck?

Whats wrong with playing with friends? Skills help but its not essentially. There are so many different playstyles, viable builds and build resources out there to get the best of out of any playstyle. Every map supports a long range, medium range or short range playstyle. Some of them are hotter and some of them are colder, just like QP. This time you get to actually get to decide your playstyle and hot/cold build before the start of the match instead of having some random votes decide if for you AFTER you have selected your mech. Having random maps like QP just leads to people bringing medium heat medium range builds all the time in QP which is even more boring.

#75 Ch0c0L4t3m1Lk

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 04:53 AM

for some reason i had remembered faction play as a different game mode where one team played defence at a base while other attacked, then it switches sides?

this was basically casual but your team can get rolled by pre-made faction teams, and when your team is getting destroyed you cant leave after you blow up, you have to stay and walk 3 more mechs out to slaughter before you can do something else with your life. if youre lucky the other team will camp your spawn and blow you and your team up as you drop to save you the trouble of walking all the way to the middle to instantly get swarmed again.

please make mad-9m(s) an october mech. its my bday

thanks for having the colors and camo on sale, it really made a huge difference in matches, everyones mechs looked much better. could you run a sale on the camo patterns for the mechs that werent in the last sale? or all of them would be nice, the sale ended before i could blow all my MC

#76 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 06:30 AM

View PostYllirion, on 02 October 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

Sweatlordisim will make you these kinds of friends. See how smug he comes off?
This is the exact kind of willful ignorance that got us where we are.

#77 shadow cat

• Pip
  • The Arges
  • The Arges
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 08:52 AM

FP usually doesn't worth for a single solo player, some times was awful to meet 12 coordinated players will 12 Craels. Sometimes was nice to fall in a good team.

But most awful is to play siege mode as attacker,( with you know already will be as one faction is attacking the planet).
It's almost difficult to win as coordinated group, and impossible with a random group.

For the defender is a pleasant duck shot gallery.

Remove Siege until you manage to balance the play or leave only for organized teams.

PD. To avoid the other team waiting at the spawn points , increase the damage of the dropship weapons when a mech drops.

That weapons can blow a mech in a single shot.

Edited by shadow cat, 08 October 2023 - 08:55 AM.

#78 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:23 AM

We need more such events! Breathed some life into FP, our beloved lobby-simulator...

That weapons can blow a mech in a single shot.

That's a Leopard, a dropship! Dropship rarely have better weapons than mechs or aerospace crafts. You missed it with the warships and their naval weapons (Naval PPCs are f**king cool BTW)...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users