Crab-27 Advice?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:30 AM

I only get roughly 300 damage out of this mech in a battle, my rating is dropping a lot, I've tried a number of builds but nothing works that well, does anyone have any build advices I could try?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:44 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 01 October 2023 - 06:30 AM, said:

I only get roughly 300 damage out of this mech in a battle, my rating is dropping a lot, I've tried a number of builds but nothing works that well, does anyone have any build advices I could try?

PPCs do not work for you?

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:04 AM

Brios posted this video about the Crab. Granted, it’s not a -27 but the build works on it. I’ve tried it on a -27 and it’s not too bad.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:27 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 01 October 2023 - 07:04 AM, said:

Brios posted this video about the Crab. Granted, it’s not a -27 but the build works on it. I’ve tried it on a -27 and it’s not too bad.
Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Running Blazers on CRB-27 is certainly possible (even if it lacks one or two useful quirks), no problem here. But the CRB27 is specially quirked for PPCs. Posted Image

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:56 AM

All this talk has made me to take my old CRB-27B with MPLs to try it in the game again.

It seems that this old 'Mech still has its uses.

Posted Image

Of course, they killed me a few seconds before the end of the game, as usual. Posted Image

#6 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 12:33 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 October 2023 - 07:27 AM, said:

Running Blazers on CRB-27 is certainly possible (even if it lacks one or two useful quirks), no problem here. But the CRB27 is specially quirked for PPCs. Posted Image

It certainly is.

CFC Conky

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 October 2023 - 12:44 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 October 2023 - 07:56 AM, said:

Of course, they killed me a few seconds before the end of the game, as usual. Posted Image

Everyone needs a hobby.

As for the build, well... this might be one of those cases where it's best to simply ignore a large quirk.

See, quirks are a way to balance 'mech performance - this is why so many IS 'mechs are loaded with quirks, while some top-performing Clan 'mechs have few to none. Quirks are selected to give each 'mech a flavor (particularly Battlemechs, as opposed to Omnimechs,) but the degree to which a 'mech is quirked depends on its performance in PGI's game telemetry.

This means that an amazing quirk may be there to offset bad hardpoint placement, having too few hardpoints in the first place, or even to support the stock build. Many set-of-8 Omnimech bonuses are that way, and my Thunderbolts all have a 10%-15% missile cooldown quirk - while none of my TDR builds currently use missiles.

Now, the Crab is very much like the Stalker and Marauder in its architecture: it's very XL friendly - from the front. You only have to wiggle your nose at people to spread incoming damage around, making it harder to isolate your side torsos. But from the side is another story, and you're also a Medium with three energy hardpoints in the center-line of the 'mech, so going XL or LFE comes at the opportunity cost of losing your "zombie" potential.

So! If we want to run some kind of PPC, we have three options: ERPPC, LPPC, and SNPPC. Of the three, the LPPC option is the least optimized; the ERPPC is ok, but its use of arm mounts means you'll have to expose your whole upper 'mech in order to fire, and may have convergence issues hitting Lights close-in - I'd use the SNPPC as a corner-poke 'mech in support of other, larger teammates (find someone big with close-range guns and shoot what they shoot; just don't crowd behind them when they need to back up.)

However, at close range, you have another option: PULSE LAZARS! The linked build is for sustained combat, of course, but you can use normal MPLs for stronger poke at slightly reduced range. Depends on how you play, and how combat usually runs in your matches. This is my strongest recommendation. You lose out on a lot of the 'mech's potential if you allow yourself to be sidetracked by that amazing velocity quirk - the quirk is that big for a reason, after all. It's true that you can use it to great effect if you position yourself well with ERPPCs, but there are other 'mechs that will do ERPPC sniping more effectively (because of how much you have to expose yourself.)

Edited by Void Angel, 01 October 2023 - 12:47 PM.

#8 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 12:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 01 October 2023 - 06:44 AM, said:

PPCs do not work for you?

I've had better experiences with heavy ppcs lately, will try out the snub but ppcs feel a little awkward for me I don't use them that much, most of my builds have been the other lasers, including binary.

Edited by Will Hawker, 01 October 2023 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 October 2023 - 04:01 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about HPPCs! I wouldn't recommend them too strongly on that Crab, because of the same considerations as the ERPPC build. But if I tried them for the CRB-27, I'd make one that looks roughly Like This, with perhaps a TC1 exchanged for the heat sink in there.

On the other hand, if you're looking for Heavy PPC action, I'm having a lot of fun with my Thunderbolt 9S right now.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:28 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 01 October 2023 - 12:52 PM, said:

I've had better experiences with heavy ppcs lately, will try out the snub but ppcs feel a little awkward for me I don't use them that much, most of my builds have been the other lasers, including binary.

Have you tried X-Pulse lasers?

#11 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 11:49 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 October 2023 - 09:28 AM, said:

Have you tried X-Pulse lasers?

Yeah, I feel like it takes to long to do the damage, opens me up to much damage, been using three snubs to better effect now.

Edit: Will try the x-pulse build linked prior again.

Edited by Will Hawker, 02 October 2023 - 01:06 PM.

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:56 PM

For X-pulse, you have to be engaging alongside someone else to get the full benefit of the weapons; if you're looking at a poke-and-cover play style, MPLs are going to be the better laser.

#13 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:32 PM

I am doing better, after first couple of games got this. It doesn't feel like I am doing damage but I am, guess its just the way it takes longer to do the damagePosted Image

Edited by Will Hawker, 02 October 2023 - 01:35 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 October 2023 - 03:07 PM

Great match; you're spreading damage well, too. With PPCs of all kinds, it's important to keep them firing - and you simply must hit what you aim at in order to get your money's worth from PPCs.

#15 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 04:46 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 02 October 2023 - 03:07 PM, said:

Great match; you're spreading damage well, too. With PPCs of all kinds, it's important to keep them firing - and you simply must hit what you aim at in order to get your money's worth from PPCs.

The last screenshot was with the x-pulse build you suggested, I'm growing to like it more, just need to adjust my style a bit. I get what you mean with the PPCS tho, really hit or miss with me I have great games where I hit a lot or bad where I can't hit a barn door, think x-pulses are more consistent, just need to be less agressive and stay with people more often.

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 October 2023 - 05:54 PM

Oh, neat! Yeah, you can't usually roll people with the X-Pulses solo without taking a lot of damage. It's because you have to stare at them, which is a huge drawback to balance out their superior dps (33% higher than an MPL for the same tonnage with better range.) So someone with a SNAC mix can focus their damage. Try to move side to side, and wiggle your nose a bit to avoid getting cored out early. Your 'mech's architecture should make it easier to survive than most Mediums I own. =)

Edited by Void Angel, 02 October 2023 - 05:54 PM.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 October 2023 - 05:58 PM

But it's best to just play "Hunchbuddy" to a Heavy or Assault brawler, as well as being patient about trying to force an engagement at your range. If you can make enemies choose between shooting at you and engaging your angry Atlas friend, they'll usually try to eliminate the larger threat, leaving you free to go for open torsos and wreak havok yourself - using your Medium in the role most Mediums do best: as a mobile firepower platform.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users