Please Add A Quick Match Game Mode Without Lights

6 replies to this topic

#1 Zen Dragon

• PipPip
  • The Divine
  • The Divine
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 05:35 AM

I understand that some players enjoy the twitch aspect of lights. However, many of us enjoy mechwarrior for the slower paced gameplay that is more tactical in nature. The lag armor that lights have makes them very powerful when combined with the intense firepower they also posssess. As such they ruin the traditional mechwarrior gameplay for many of us. Please provide a more tactical slower paced quickmatch option for those of us that would like to enjoy classic mechwarrior WITHOUT the twitch based FPS noise that lights bring to the situation. ~ OR ~ fix their lag armor.

Before anyone jumps in here and says I am wrong. I am not suggesting you can't play without lights or that lights should be nerfed. I am suggesting a quickmatch filter that lets you select to join matches WITHOUT lights (or any type you would prefer, maybe you are the type that wants matches without assults, your preference)

My point is please provide a way for us to play matches without the lag armor nuisances that lights bring to the game. They are currently way to OP due to their lag armor and just make this game into every other FPS out there.

This would be completly optional and for those that enjoy playing with lights you could continue to do so. For those of us that find them frustrating and take away from the enjoyment of slow sluggish lumbering mechs with long drawn out exchanges of fire which WE FIND ENJOYABLE please provide an optional mode without lights (or fix their lag armor)

I play this game specifically because I do not like twitch fps. I know many others feel the same way. If i wanted that I would go play CoD.

thanks Posted Image

Edited by Zen Dragon, 12 October 2023 - 05:41 AM.

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 08:34 AM

I'll restrain the light pilot in me urging to troll you (bad! bad!) and answer with a practical mindset: we simply don't have the population to split queues.

#3 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 02:52 PM

Light mechs are the epitome of tactical. Also lights have plenty going against them. If they stop for a second, they are dead, if you look at them for 2 seconds, they are dead, if you have a moderately competent lance that stick together and watch each other's back, the light mech will have no resource other than to work with its own team or die playing the lone wolf.

Honestly I play light mechs, they can be fun, and it often correlates to how competent the enemy lance is at playing together.

Light mechs are fast, intense, high risk, very unforgiving gameplay, like nothing in the other weight categories.

Assault have it easy, you just need your lance around (and paying attention), and the next enemy that find you at the turn of a corner is dead.

A game mode without lights would get old fast imo

#4 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 05:14 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 12 October 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

Light mechs are the epitome of tactical. Also lights have plenty going against them. If they stop for a second, they are dead, if you look at them for 2 seconds, they are dead, if you have a moderately competent lance that stick together and watch each other's back, the light mech will have no resource other than to work with its own team or die playing the lone wolf.

Honestly I play light mechs, they can be fun, and it often correlates to how competent the enemy lance is at playing together.

Light mechs are fast, intense, high risk, very unforgiving gameplay, like nothing in the other weight categories.

Assault have it easy, you just need your lance around (and paying attention), and the next enemy that find you at the turn of a corner is dead.

A game mode without lights would get old fast imo

While i agree that a gamemode without lights would get old rather quickly, i think you are overestimating the difficulty of playing light mechs. It's definitely not as hard, and all the tactics that these epithomes of tactics have to use is to run run run and never stop. Or sit back and snipe. But anyway, the question under discussion is not that they are or aren't tactical, the problem TS mentioned the most is the lag shield, and i completely agree with him. Sure, if light doesn't move it gets killed very easily. But all other weight classes get killed easily even if they move as fast as they can, while lighs avoid not only the shots that legitimately missed them, but also like 60% of shots that actually DID hit them, but didn't registed due to lag shield.

THAT is the main problem, if all the damage would be registering normally then there wouldn't have been nearly as much desire to turn them off alltogether. They are far too tanky for both their size, speed and firepower. The armor quirks just break the logic sometimes, i had one of the urbie legendary mechs eating like 200 MRMs in face without even twisting all that much and he only went from yellow armor to orange. That's not really fair to all those people who have to endure through disgusting laservomit meta and get their CT into red armor levels in one shot because they pilot mediums, heavies or assaults.

I think we should get some events like the one going on right now, but the thing of that event would be just normal matches without the lights, just to test this mode out.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 31 October 2023 - 05:58 AM

View Postepikt, on 12 October 2023 - 08:34 AM, said:

I'll restrain the light pilot in me urging to troll you (bad! bad!) and answer with a practical mindset: we simply don't have the population to split queues.

I second this, just not being a light pilot. The population of the game results in long waits and high tier players sometimes dropping against low tier players. Dividing that population up further will make that worse.

#6 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:30 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 31 October 2023 - 05:58 AM, said:

I second this, just not being a light pilot. The population of the game results in long waits and high tier players sometimes dropping against low tier players. Dividing that population up further will make that worse.

I'll have to second that too, unfortunately. Even if light mech action can be seen as cancerous sometimes, it's still about 25% of playerbase of MWO, detracting these people from the queue pool would make matchmaking and match quality even worse, even if liught mechs wouldn't be there.

As a separate event queue, though - i dont see this as something unreasonable, at least just as a test of concept and feedback collection measure.

#7 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 213 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 05 November 2023 - 08:26 PM

I just find it hilarious that anyone would claim that Lights are less tactical than any other weight class. Sure, the lag-armor is a bit of a problem, but they still get deleted if they ever stop moving. Hells, they can even get deleted on-the-move if there is a skilled enough marksman!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users