Framerate Is Unplayable At Times

16 replies to this topic

#1 Casey Bat

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:38 PM

Before anyone questions my setup, I can confidently say it's not my PC, as other games haven't been affected. This issue started occurring immediately after the Nov 21st patch dropped, with framerate on maps I normally hover around 60 FPS dropping to 30 with frequent lower drops that cause screen tearing. On maps I normally get somewhat lower performance on, like Free Worlds Colosseum and Solaris City, it's almost a powerpoint slideshow. Not all matches are like this, but it's often enough that it's not enjoyable whatsoever.

I can't find any setting I can lower more to help this, so playing be damned I guess.

THREAD UPDATE:
Gameplay seems fine now since the hotfix, it may have been the server issues causing performance problems.

Edited by Casey Bat, 07 December 2023 - 03:33 PM.

#2 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 11:40 PM

I've heard some have had luck with running the repair tool, or manually deleting the shader cache in C:\Users\"username"\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online.

#3 Casey Bat

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 11:46 PM

View Postdario03, on 25 November 2023 - 11:40 PM, said:

I've heard some have had luck with running the repair tool, or manually deleting the shader cache in C:\Users\"username"\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online.

I just tried that before you mentioned it and it might have worked, but I will need to play more matches to confirm. No idea why I didn't think of shadercache sooner because I had to do that before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:36 AM

corrupted shaders will do it.

#5 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:50 AM

Geeram's .cfg did the trick for me. I'm having constant 100+ fps, especially where i used to have below 50 on high end machine. You will need to give up on some high details, like shadows for example, but for a old game as is this one, i don't think its worth it to have pretty game with low fps.

Im not turning off trees and water though, having that as an option is bad althogether, and should be removed from it.

If you are interested, ill post a link below:

All file links are in the info section, all you need to do is following installation instructions (which also involve removing shaders) and you are good to go. The rest of the video is to guide you with addition settings tweaks , if you desired to have some shadows etc etc.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 26 November 2023 - 02:51 AM.

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 26 November 2023 - 04:02 AM

Hey, a warm welcome to MWO!
(Nice AoS BTW)...

If you have not already tried this (I myself swear by this, it works for me):
MrVaad's MWOconfig Cryengine Config Editor for MWO
http://mwomercs.com/...-editor-for-mwo
http://github.com/MrVaad/MWOConfig

#7 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:54 AM

For me, also massive lag and framerate drops lately.. Been playing in pictures..

#8 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:48 PM

View PostCasey Bat, on 25 November 2023 - 11:46 PM, said:

I just tried that before you mentioned it and it might have worked, but I will need to play more matches to confirm. No idea why I didn't think of shadercache sooner because I had to do that before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you have user.cfg or reshade or amd/nvidia filters installed before and/or after the repair/shadercache clearing?

Same question to anybody.
Are you having fps issues? And are you running user.cfg and/or reshade or amd/nvidia filters?

Edited by dario03, 26 November 2023 - 04:15 PM.

#9 Casey Bat

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:58 PM

THREAD UPDATE:

Clearing shadercache is not working, it still going back to sometimes giving me garbage FPS on maps that shouldn't. Must have been a placebo effect, as it's clearly a problem still.

View Postdario03, on 26 November 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

Did you have user.cfg or reshade or amd/nvidia filters installed before and/or after the repair/shadercache clearing?

Are you having fps issues? And are you running user.cfg and/or reshade or amd/nvidia filters?

I have user.cfg and set it up a long time ago with the optimal settings.

#10 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:46 AM

View Postdario03, on 26 November 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

Im having FPS Issues in the sense of [many people would probably consider playing MW:O at ~ 29-36 FPS borderline] . For me it means having gained 7-10 FPS doing most of the things suggested in GeeRam'S Video. I recently looked up Data's Video re *.cfg, since I want to get crispier contrast playing MW:O .

Am not using reshade or any software, am wary about allocating resources to anything when playing MW:O .

Edited by Besh, 27 November 2023 - 03:47 AM.

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 November 2023 - 11:32 AM

Yep getting slowdowns on many maps now when it was smooth as polished glass before. File verify and shader cache fix helped a bit but its still tanking fairly hard.

#12 Casey Bat

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 12:41 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 27 November 2023 - 11:32 AM, said:

Yep getting slowdowns on many maps now when it was smooth as polished glass before. File verify and shader cache fix helped a bit but its still tanking fairly hard.

Good (also unfortunate) to know it isn't just me. Most people blame my PC but I know for sure how my computer typically runs MWO and this is well below average. I just cannot play like this, especially playing fast mechs with lots of torso movement, it's completely disorienting.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:02 PM

Please post your systems config. Also MWO is not the only program that gets updated. Drivers updated, esp with if Windows does it, may be been furbar. And for Windows 11, there were updates that would have been installed around/after 11-15-23. As well as heat, and not heat that is always high but heat spikes that even exceeds threadhold of one core will have the system throttle the CPU as a whole, and that could be due to due to a combination of dust collection on heatsinks that have not been cleaned out + the weather+heating of homes, lack of air circulation.

With the recent patch that has furbar the EU server, not saying the client/server itself is not part of the issue but most do not run any sort of monitoring program that keeps logs.

And send tickets to techsupport. Its not like PGI actually reads the forums in any manner that could make a difference.

#14 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 06:10 AM

i am also getting significantly worse loading times and framerates after the patch. so far i've tried the repair tool, deleting the shaders folder, and removing my user.cfg, and seemingly none of it has had any effect.

i've loaded into the testing grounds a few dozen times trying to diagnose the problem, and what i've found is that maps will occasionally load as quickly as they did prior to the patch (no rhyme or reason to it that i can figure out), and i don't seem to get the framerate issues when this happens.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:05 AM

you didnt by chance change gpu did you? especially of a different manufacturer (nvidia to amd or vise versa). left over drivers can do this.

#16 Casey Bat

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 03:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 November 2023 - 09:05 AM, said:

you didnt by chance change gpu did you? especially of a different manufacturer (nvidia to amd or vise versa). left over drivers can do this.

I changed absolutely nothing about my PC before and after the patch.

#17 Hunboka

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:08 AM

I had the same problem, my fps droped to 15-20 while I had 50-60 before.
I also cleared the shadercache and I did another thing that changed my life.
I turned off the hyperthreading in the bios for testing, my fps became 80+
So I enabled hyperthreading and made a shourtcut file that limits the MWOclient to only use one thread per cpu core, now I have 70-90 fps. Thats a big difference.

You can test it by changing the processor affinity for mwoclient, and check every second "cpu" only. If that helps, then you can create a shortcut based on this guide: https://www.windowsd...-in-windows-10/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users