326 replies to this topic

#161 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:59 AM

View PostMajor_T, on 02 December 2023 - 08:20 AM, said:

Compensation events does not equal compensation for people who have paid or planned to purchase active time while the servers are down. In fact, planned events on servers that are not currently preforming constantly before the patch comes out is a pretty bold move I’d say.

Re-read that part of the quoted text where PGI says that all things are going to happen AFTER the confirmation that everything is okay again.

#162 Justin_Xiang

• Pip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:17 AM

So 4 drops in a row cancelled because no available servers,,WTF!! Email me when you get your shut together.

#163 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:20 AM

View PostJustin_Xiang, on 02 December 2023 - 09:17 AM, said:

So 4 drops in a row cancelled because no available servers,,WTF!! Email me when you get your shut together.

Read this update, please: Mwo Status Update And Known Issues - Update 2 - Dec 1St

The planned game patch date is 13. XII. 2023.

#164 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:37 AM

EU Servers still buggy, can't even get a match, now tried to do NA servers only, also have mechs locked into games and can't connect to play..

This game is totally on the fritz..

#165 Iliyena

Rookie

• The Scattershot
  • The Scattershot
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 01 December 2023 - 11:47 PM, said:

I ignore any Premium Time that I win in any event of any kind.

It is always the same: Typically I get it on Sunday. The Premium Time ticks away over the week uselessly. On the next Friday it is all but gone.

One good and carefully selected Hero 'Mech with its bonus that I get every time I use it is more useful for me than some Premium Time that disappears without giving me any good.

I tend to not redeem 7-days of premium until dead last moment in the events, to stack it over a few weeks ^_^ Still got my 7 days from the DWF-event to redeem. Just a tip; if it isn't in a lootbag-event you can save it, all you need is to play a match/test drop/restart game and its activated. ^_^

#166 Alphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:15 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 November 2023 - 01:23 PM, said:

My situation is not that bad.

You could try the MWO Repair Tool. Probably it will not help, but it should not hurt.

This has worked for me. Unfortunately, after running the repair tool I've gotten 2-3 good drops, then there's a "No Server" error again.

Thought I had after reading ALL THE THREADS:

What if, to reduce server load, we all stripped skins, colors, decals, bolt-ons, and cockpit crap? Think we'd see more reliable drops?

#167 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:32 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 December 2023 - 09:37 AM, said:

EU Servers still buggy, can't even get a match, now tried to do NA servers only, also have mechs locked into games and can't connect to play..

This game is totally on the fritz..

I play on the Oceanic server only. It has worked for me relatively well.

View PostIliyena, on 02 December 2023 - 09:54 AM, said:

I tend to not redeem 7-days of premium until dead last moment in the events, to stack it over a few weeks Posted Image Still got my 7 days from the DWF-event to redeem. Just a tip; if it isn't in a lootbag-event you can save it, all you need is to play a match/test drop/restart game and its activated. Posted Image

After a week I would probably forget to redeem those rewards.

View PostAlphaeus, on 02 December 2023 - 10:15 AM, said:

This has worked for me. Unfortunately, after running the repair tool I've gotten 2-3 good drops, then there's a "No Server" error again.

Thought I had after reading ALL THE THREADS:

What if, to reduce server load, we all stripped skins, colors, decals, bolt-ons, and cockpit crap? Think we'd see more reliable drops?

First, you would probably see lots of players not doing that.

Second, the problem is the huge database of all game assets that the server has to load "just in case" some player equips one such item.

So I am not sure that it would help.

#168 tenchugecko

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:53 AM

What we wanted back then: a new map
what we got: buggy bolt-ons that overload the database with a massive load of 23000lines

good luck with the patch!

#169 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:53 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 December 2023 - 10:32 AM, said:

Second, the problem is the huge database of all game assets that the server has to load "just in case" some player equips one such item.

This is the part that does not make any sense .

#170 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:54 AM

The anounced "we are sorry-event" better be dope!

#171 VaMPHuNT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 02 December 2023 - 12:34 PM

View PostBesh, on 02 December 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

This is the part that does not make any sense .

Not sure you've noticed, but in the real world, not everything makes sense or is done logically. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just how the servers and engine function. Simple as that, no reason to try overthinking it.

PGI has evaluated the problem, they've identified what the suspected issue is, and are working on fixing it. Just need to give them some time to get that fix implemented, nothing more.

#172 Poggle

• PipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:34 PM

View PostVaMPHuNT, on 02 December 2023 - 12:34 PM, said:

Not sure you've noticed, but in the real world, not everything makes sense or is done logically. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just how the servers and engine function. Simple as that, no reason to try overthinking it.

Component A + Code B does not always = C. Emergent properties of interactions are what catch people out...

#173 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostVaMPHuNT, on 02 December 2023 - 12:34 PM, said:

PGI has evaluated the problem, they've identified what the suspected issue is, and are working on fixing it. Just need to give them some time to get that fix implemented, nothing more.

Well, forgive me for thinking to be able to understand stuff . I realize its not everyone's cup of tea, but I kindof like doing it .

Here is a question : How is it anyhow feasable for the "the Server" to need to load "the entire item database" for every match to be able to "crossreference Items" ?

Edited by Besh, 02 December 2023 - 01:57 PM.

#174 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:09 PM

They did something on the backend. Players are reporting that when they receive the no server found and locked mech indicator, approximately 50% of the time they are able to drop in their next game, with the "locked" mech..

#175 SoulReaver7500

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:13 PM

No patience or understanding here. It has been nearly 2 weeks. I would highly suggest you put your programmers on 24/7 until solution is found.

#176 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:17 PM

View PostBesh, on 02 December 2023 - 01:50 PM, said:

Well, forgive me for thinking to be able to understand stuff . I realize its not everyone's cup of tea, but I kindof like doing it .

Here is a question : How is it anyhow feasable for the "the Server" to need to load "the entire item database" for every match to be able to "crossreference Items" ?

It does make sense when you consider everything you bring into the match is Data. and the Server needs to know what that Data represents.

Mechs have Item IDs
Armor Has an Item IDs
Infrastructure has an Item IDs
Engine have Item IDs
Weapons have Item IDs
Ammo Has Item IDs
Decals Have Item IDs
Cockpit Items Have Item IDs

Everything in the game has an ID and every account has Mech Loadouts with IDs that contain the IDs of all the Items that make up that Mech.

So we send the Player ID and Mech ID and all the loadout data which includes everything that is attached to that mech which are all Item IDs. Send that all to a Server which has to understand that Data Structure and properties and behaviors associated with those Item IDs.

The server needs to know what everything in the Database is and its purpose is in the context of the game. It then can construct a virtual world using the Data and Simulate everything based on that Data.

Think of it this way. In a restaurant you look at a menu and order a Dish to eat(Your Mech and Match). you don't order all the ingredients! You order the dish. The Kitchen (Dedicated Server) needs to know what all the ingredients are to make the Dish for it to taste good. The Kitchen brings all the right ingredients together and you get to enjoy your Meal (your Mech in the match)

Right now we seem to have exceeded the total number of possible ingredients in our kitchen, the Cooks can't prepare the meal in time due to the overhead of loading the ingredient list to build the meal correctly. Even if you come in to order a burger its still loading the full list of possible ingredients to assemble the burger correctly.

I guess the question then becomes why doesn't the Server have the Data all ready?
Why load all the Item IDS and Data at runtime rather than have that Data present within the server executable?
I don't know the answer to that but I would guess that there is a good reason. Executable size maybe?(I'll check and see if I can find out)

#177 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:21 PM

Could you please start considering a rollback of the changes? Anything that would work would be appreciated :) "No available servers..." game crashing, mech gets locked after trying to launch a search... The game has always been a big waiting game (for matches etc.) but this is now ridiculous. How many players will you loose because of this?

#178 Sheridan Mackison

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:26 PM

When I get "No Servers Available", most of the time my mech then says it is locked because it is in an active match!

#179 Major_T

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:27 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 02 December 2023 - 03:17 PM, said:

It does make sense when you consider everything you bring into the match is Data. and the Server needs to know what that Data represents.

Mechs have Item IDs
Armor Has an Item IDs
Engine have Item IDs
Weapons have Item IDs
Ammo Has Item IDs
Decals Have Item IDs

Everything in the game has an ID and every account has Mech Loadouts with IDs that contain the IDs of all the Items that make up that Mech.

So we send the Player ID and Mech ID and all the loadout data which includes everything that is attached to that mech which are all Item IDs. Send that all to a Server which has to understand that Data Structure and properties and behaviors associated with those Item IDs.

The server needs to know what everything in the Database is and its purpose is in the context of the game. It then can construct a virtual world using the Data and Simulate everything based on that Data.

Think of it this way. In a restaurant you look at a menu and order a Dish to eat(Your Mech and Match). you don't order all the ingredients! You order the dish. The Kitchen (Dedicated Server) needs to know what all the ingredients are to make the Dish for it to taste good. The Kitchen brings all the right ingredients together and you get to enjoy your Meal (your Mech in the match)

Right now we seem to have exceeded the total number of possible ingredients in our kitchen, the Cooks can't prepare the meal in time due to the overhead of loading the ingredient list to build the meal correctly. Even if you come in to order a burger its still loading the full list of possible ingredients to assemble the burger correctly.

I guess the question then becomes why doesn't the Server have the Data all ready?
Why load all the Item IDS and Data at runtime rather than have that Data present within the server executable?
I don't know the answer to that but I would guess that there is a good reason. Executable size maybe?(I'll check and see if I can find out)

Mechs have Item IDs
Armor Has an Item IDs
Engine have Item IDs
Weapons have Item IDs
Ammo Has Item IDs
Decals Have Item IDs

Why load all the Item IDS and Data at runtime rather than have that Data present within the Server executable?
I don't know the answer to that but I would guess it has a very real technical reason not too. (I'll check and see if I can find out)

Oh no.. even the devs have a memory leak! /s

Jokes aside, it’s a good analogy. I imagine that if all the data was server side, latency would start to get nuclear…

#180 HammerSmythe

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:34 PM

Any plans to unlock the CN9-AH(L)? Currently any attempt to play this mech results in the game crashing out to desktop.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users