Mwo Status Update And Known Issues - Update 2 - Dec 1St

326 replies to this topic

#281 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 04:50 PM

View Postnopempele, on 04 December 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

Status update: the current game state is trash.

Sorry to say this, but you managed to really wreck stability, for both server and client. This is the most buggy update that I can remember. Every so often I am getting "Cannot find a server" error and my mech gets locked. I have even started getting BSODs now on my new PC while playing MWO, no other app managed to achieve that so far.

Please consider rolling back whatever you did until you have good understanding of what went south. This is an old game on an ageing engine, so it is too easy to wreck havoc by trying to "optimise" or "improve".

*laughs in Linux being run on a 5yo computer*

#282 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 04:57 PM

View PostBuguser, on 04 December 2023 - 03:07 PM, said:

Entitled rant

View PostBuguser, on 04 December 2023 - 04:15 PM, said:

Marx farting in the wind

All jokes aside, you are an end consumer of a service pal, not an asset holder in a company, realize the difference and swallow your entitled words. MWO is a free to play game, with some digital transactions monetized available, their liability outside of delivering on those digital transactions is zilch, zero. The in game purchases they can reimburse, delay and toil with as much as they need to, key word being need there.

The current issues they are experiencing is something they could not stress test on their own, and the limited use and functionality of dev branch in games like this deny them the opportunity to do so.
Like most players, I too have been struggling to get into a game, annoying, surely.
But suck it up champ, and bite the bullet, PGI is quite the exemplary studio when it comes to their Cx support efforts.
Got a list of games dev teams that could learn a thing or two from these guys, given the state of the game, longevity of it and their supportive efforts: Ye no theyre ranking rather high.

In terms of their monetization and your critique: Go and build a game yourself, you'll find out just why and how PGI is rather respectable, and not worthy of your silly attitude.

#283 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:11 PM

Rather than complain about this situation, try to do something productive instead. Here is a list of things you can do while waiting to get into a match:
  • Shampoo your carpets
  • Get ahead of tax season by going through all your receipts
  • Learn to play a musical instrument
  • Write a novel
  • Try out that new diet to lose that extra weight you picked up over Thanksgiving
  • Read War and Peace
  • Watch all the Batman movies
  • Change your car's oil, replenish the wiper fluid
  • Binge watch all 10 seasons of Suits
Honestly, you can change this minor inconvenience into an opportunity to accomplish tasks you've been putting off.

Edited by Eurystheus, 04 December 2023 - 05:11 PM.

#284 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:18 PM

View Postnopempele, on 04 December 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

Status update: the current game state is trash.

Sorry to say this, but you managed to really wreck stability, for both server and client. This is the most buggy update that I can remember. Every so often I am getting "Cannot find a server" error and my mech gets locked. I have even started getting BSODs now on my new PC while playing MWO, no other app managed to achieve that so far.

Please consider rolling back whatever you did until you have good understanding of what went south. This is an old game on an ageing engine, so it is too easy to wreck havoc by trying to "optimise" or "improve".

You getting BSOD's is most likely (the most common cause for it) your PC running out of RAM. MWO is rather RAM friendly, without digging on you: I implore you to clean up your PC and make sure your pagefile is large enough to carry the strain your OS and external services require you to run your system.

The latest update has most certainly caused the MM issues we are experiencing right now, other issues YOU alone experience, are not tied to this update. An ID cleanup will not cause your RAM to spike, I run a 10 year old system, 8gb of ram DDR3 low bitbus, 3.2ghz CPU with only 4 physical cores: Trust me, it's your maintenance of your PC that is causing BSOD's, not this recent update.
In case your cracktop is getting hot, there's more than just poor housekeeping software wise at play.

Edited by S Ringeck, 04 December 2023 - 05:24 PM.

#285 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:39 PM

View PostS Ringeck, on 04 December 2023 - 05:18 PM, said:

You getting BSOD's is most likely (the most common cause for it) your PC running out of RAM. MWO is rather RAM friendly, without digging on you: I implore you to clean up your PC and make sure your pagefile is large enough to carry the strain your OS and external services require you to run your system.

The latest update has most certainly caused the MM issues we are experiencing right now, other issues YOU alone experience, are not tied to this update. An ID cleanup will not cause your RAM to spike, I run a 10 year old system, 8gb of ram DDR3 low bitbus, 3.2ghz CPU with only 4 physical cores: Trust me, it's your maintenance of your PC that is causing BSOD's, not this recent update.
In case your cracktop is getting hot, there's more than just poor housekeeping software wise at play.

just like download more RAM

Depending on his Windows version, it's hilariously prone to memory overflow and MAV **** because Microsoft got some headass idea about how to load things into memory a while back

#286 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:48 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 04 December 2023 - 05:39 PM, said:

just like download more RAM

Depending on his Windows version, it's hilariously prone to memory overflow and MAV **** because Microsoft got some headass idea about how to load things into memory a while back

Che, sadly most PC users are as clueless about THEIR product that they're using and somewhat responsible for, as drivers are of their cars. The "well I dont know how it works" argument being the very backbone of their argument, whilst their poor experience with the product is rooted in their lack of knowledge of the damn thing.
With PC's running on automated updated OS'es and all kinds of needless strain added with updates over time (bloat like all the services required to make your pc run like a Tablet, which people barely use in the first place).
Joe Schmuck thinks hes shooting fish in a barrel and still misses, calls the game rigged instead.

#287 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:52 PM

View PostKavaSutra, on 04 December 2023 - 05:08 AM, said:

Props to openly admitting you're violating the TOS. Something tells me they have bigger fish to fry.

Lulz?

As pointed out, it is explicitly allowed. Before you start with the insults, it's also pegged at the top of tier 1, so feel free to skip the accusations of seal clubbing and leaderboard stacking.

#288 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:22 PM

Even last week the game ran better. Now it's only getting worse. Even the wallpaper on my walls peeled off and two light bulbs in my apartment burned out at once. Wallpaper had to be put up and light bulbs had to be changed. How long will this continue, PGI?

Please forgive me for the possibly inappropriate humor :)
This was an attempt to defuse the situation a little.
But seriously...
Yesterday I sat down to play. Server only NA.
I managed to enter the first battle only after an hour and a half. During this hour and a half, I was kicked out three times due to an unsuccessful attempt to load the map. The first fight was lost with a score of 2:12 (thanks to my team, thanks to the “balance” of MM).
The next successful loading into the game happened another half hour later. In total, in more than two hours spent in the game, I took part in only two battles, one of which was absolutely disgusting due to the level of the players on my team.

#289 Type ZERO

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:24 PM

My sympathy to the sysadmins and software engineers trying to fix this.

#290 nopempele

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:30 PM

View PostS Ringeck, on 04 December 2023 - 05:18 PM, said:

You getting BSOD's is most likely (the most common cause for it) your PC running out of RAM.

I think you are right, thanks! I just checked the Event Log and it appears that MWO did ran out of RAM. Which was a bit surprising, considering that I have 32 Gb and not a lot of other stuff was loaded. What I was missing at the time is a paging file. It appears that MWO might require it as otherwise it seems to run unstable.

So apologies for my quick judgement, this is more related to my PC and might have only indirectly related to the patch.

However, the server issues are still very valid.

The other issue which I never had before is actually a funny one: I got stuck in an Urbie inside the walls on Solaris. Well, not actually stuck, but more like passed through a looking glass into another world. I could actually move inside the buildings and shoot, but could not get out our actually hit anyone.

#291 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,677 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:33 PM

View Postnopempele, on 04 December 2023 - 06:30 PM, said:

I think you are right, thanks! I just checked the Event Log and it appears that MWO did ran out of RAM. Which was a bit surprising, considering that I have 32 Gb and not a lot of other stuff was loaded. What I was missing at the time is a paging file. It appears that MWO might require it as otherwise it seems to run unstable.

So apologies for my quick judgement, this is more related to my PC and might have only indirectly related to the patch.

The other issue which I never had before is actually a funny one: I got stuck in an Urbie inside the walls on Solaris. Well, not actually stuck, but more like passed through a looking glass into another world. I could actually move inside the buildings and shoot, but could not get out our actually hit anyone.

Been there. Done that.

#292 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:39 PM

Have seen that happen a few times on Solaris City, it's always a light mech IIRC. Saw a PIR manage it once, he doesn't even have JJs to do weird things with the collision, how tf he do that

#293 LilMissWiz

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:39 PM

Been trying to catch up on this. So those of us that cannot get into a single game are just SOL until the 13th?

#294 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:43 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 04 December 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

Sadly seems to be the average experience as of late

Yup, it's more up and down for me, peak times my experience is like yours, low time seems to be more games.
Got 4 games in a row, that was a streak. But generally I'd say my effective time IG is currently around 30%, when lucky.
Tis what it is, lets pray to the omnisiah so he might find himself emboldened enough to lift the curse affecting the machine spirit at large. RAM&

#295 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:52 PM

It's becoming worse and worse as it goes... I've had about 5 locked mechs at one point... it's almost so bad I'm about to give up on MWO...

#296 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:01 PM

I've gotten so used to not getting into matches or waiting forever I ended up actually dropping and not realizing it until I heard VOIP comms and frantically switched back to MWO from Telegram, my entire team was already in position

#297 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:03 PM

Much appreciated considerate post

Ye 32gb's of RAM should not ever reach BSOD stages, pagefile should certainly help prevent that. Sadly it can with how poorly some software is optimized nowadays.
However that much breathing room for your OS/Services + Active programs should easily run smooth as butter at all times.
I suspect RAM management might lead to choking in your set up, I recommend looking into, or considering software like "Processor Lasso" as well as ISLC (Intelligent Standby List Cleaner) and familiarizing yourself with Lasso in particular.
For PC cleaning purposes there's much available, personally I've been reliant on "CCleaner".

Question: Do you run a single partition? (Single Virtual drive, like C:, or multiple).

Edited by S Ringeck, 04 December 2023 - 07:04 PM.

#298 S Ringeck

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:08 PM

View PostBig-G, on 04 December 2023 - 06:52 PM, said:

It's becoming worse and worse as it goes... I've had about 5 locked mechs at one point... it's almost so bad I'm about to give up on MWO...

Considering you are somewhat of a hardcore Vet I suspect, might be a good time to pick up on something gathering dust on the shelf; Hobby, other game or something new entirely.
Patch is planned for the 12th of December it seems, so another week of instability is very likely.
Stay strong brother, whilst hard to appreciate, a forced break can be good at times.

#299 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:32 PM

I got the WHK for whatever it's worth, the Blight's battlepass will be there later and the rest is just grinding XP on mechs.

I'm pretty okay with finding another diversion for a bit.

#300 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:21 PM

View Postc0ldn3s5, on 04 December 2023 - 08:20 PM, said:

funny i dont use bolt ons and i still cant play.. THEY ARE LYING TO YALL

It has nothing to do with them being equipped this has been repeated over and over

It's the item IDs clown-carring into a database that finally decided it had too many clowns in it

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users