I Suspect Pgi Had Migrated The Servers

3 replies to this topic

#1 Tepmnthar

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 03:26 AM

Things became weird since last month. This official website and game login server became unreachable sometimes from maybe Oct. 15th. Connected to the server directly without any network optimization tools lead to huge package loss. Unavailable to login, very long loading time into mechlab, latency in the game.
Now after the november patch, everyone suffered from the issue. I highly suspect they have shut down the old servers and switched to the new one completedly. With maybe wrong configurations or something else, the server reached the bottleneck very quickly, then everyone was crashing and kicked out from the server.
Totally a guess without any evidence, didn't inspect the network connections by wireshark before October. Tested to ping the login server `ping 192.99.109.129` and `nslookup a23-221-110-169.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com` last month and got a over 50% package loss at that time.

Edited by Tepmnthar, 01 December 2023 - 03:30 AM.

#2 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 03:41 AM

That is what I suspect.

The easiest way to increase profits, is to cut corners. Finding a cheaper server service looks good on paper, but bean counters rarely understand 'you get what you pay for', for if they were that aware, they'd have a more productive career. This is why, every company ever, over time, becomes absolute garbage, as if it's publicly traded, it is the actual law to always increase profits. Eventually they hit a critical point where quality is gone and the people stop buying the service or product, and that company ceases to exist.

Making a better product more people would want is a difficult gamble. Cutting corners always works and is easy.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,468 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 December 2023 - 03:50 AM

Yeah, that’s what I’ve suspected also.

EG7 did have a habit of eventually forcing its subsidiary companies’ gaming servers to relocate to Sweden.

Or at least that was my impression, after doing brief research into past EG7 action.

Whether or not this is the case for MWO remains to be seen.
(I’m OK with moving servers as long the gaming QoL does not suffer!

#4 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,795 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 December 2023 - 03:56 AM

Since the game is fairly ping tolerant moving the servers to sweden wouldn't be a huge issue for the bulk of the active players. Most of the NA would get more than good enough ping with the west coast getting into the 100~200 ping range and of course the EU would be more than fine. The south pacific would be screwed though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users