21 replies to this topic

#1 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 614 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:09 PM

Atlas(the sides of the skull are now ST)

So now instead of rotating to the right or left an losing an arm an Atlas can be side torso'd by shooting them in the head?

You really don't understand the game do you?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:12 PM

Nope, the head is all CT and Head. Only the little baffles to either side of the head are side torso.

Posted Image

#3 Miriage

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:14 PM

Did.. did you think the skull was arm hitbox?

#4 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:50 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 04 December 2023 - 09:12 PM, said:

Nope, the head is all CT and Head. Only the little baffles to either side of the head are side torso.
Spoiler

Official Cauldron leaks from... Cauldron Discord:
"
Tiy0s / PGI Frostbyte — 12/01/2023 8:21 AM
The following mechs are getting CT size reductions in Dec patch:
  • Jenner IIC
  • Cicada
  • Atlas(the sides of the skull are now ST
"

So yes, sides of the head are going to be side torsos instead of center torsos soon, which IMHO is a good change.

IS Jenner would like CT reduction like IIC also.

Edited by Curccu, 04 December 2023 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 11:26 PM

View PostCurccu, on 04 December 2023 - 10:50 PM, said:

So yes, sides of the head are going to be side torsos instead of center torsos soon, which IMHO is a good change.

I second that. Atlas being less prone to be CT cored before the rest of the armour is even orange is a good change. Against the opinion of OP, I think they absolutely know what they are doing.

#6 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 11:34 PM

"
  • Jenner IIC
  • Cicada
"

Does that mean the mechs actual overall size is decreasing with the CT getting physically smaller? Or is it just that they’re adjusting the hit box so some of what was CT will now be side torsos and the mech will still be the same overall size?

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 01:13 AM

View Postand zero, on 04 December 2023 - 11:34 PM, said:

Does that mean the mechs actual overall size is decreasing with the CT getting physically smaller? Or is it just that they’re adjusting the hit box so some of what was CT will now be side torsos and the mech will still be the same overall size?

Just hitbox adjustment.

#8 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:04 AM

View PostSolCrusher, on 04 December 2023 - 09:09 PM, said:

So now instead of rotating to the right or left an losing an arm an Atlas can be side torso'd by shooting them in the head?

now twisting to the left or right will protect the CT, instead of it being hittable from virtually any angle. the STs will end up taking more damage on average as a result, but the important part is that you now have greater ability to actually spread damage and utilize more of your total HP.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:17 AM

"
  • Jenner IIC
  • Cicada
"

Ah, silly me for only looking at the game/company official website.

That said, yes I can see where this would be a beneficial change, as torso twisting would allow you to actually shield the CT somewhat.

#10 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:13 AM

In short, these 3 mech chassis may be getting the infamous "Fafnir Treatment".
Might need to increase LT/RT armor to compensate, just like what they did to the Fafnir...

View Postcougurt, on 05 December 2023 - 02:04 AM, said:

now twisting to the left or right will protect the CT, instead of it being hittable from virtually any angle. the STs will end up taking more damage on average as a result, but the important part is that you now have greater ability to actually spread damage and utilize more of your total HP.

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:19 AM

View Postw0qj, on 05 December 2023 - 05:13 AM, said:

Might need to increase LT/RT armor to compensate, just like what they did to the Fafnir...

Well if atlas head is only change in that mech, then no...
Jenners are walking CTs so this cannot make them worse really...
Cicada has possibility of that if change isn't subtle enough.

#12 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:08 AM

View Postw0qj, on 05 December 2023 - 05:13 AM, said:

the fafnir's shape is such that it's going to have problems no matter how you delineate the hitboxes, but i'd still say that larger side torsos are preferable to a practically unmissable CT. the atlas has much larger arms that shield the sides fairly well when twisting, and the affected area is also quite a bit smaller than it was in the fafnir's case, so i don't really see it having the same issue.

#13 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

#14 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 614 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:36 PM

View Postcougurt, on 05 December 2023 - 02:04 AM, said:

I usually take around 900 damage before my atlas drops. The atlas, direwolf, and king crab are the chassis I prefer. I like the Atlas overall just because I've been piloting it from beta.

That hitbox thing is gonna be like the giant head hitbox of old on the old founder Atlas. Side torsos will start popping left and right you'll be a walking stick too quick.

#15 Sneaky Snek

• Pip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:59 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 05 December 2023 - 02:36 PM, said:

I usually take around 900 damage before my atlas drops. The atlas, direwolf, and king crab are the chassis I prefer. I like the Atlas overall just because I've been piloting it from beta.

That hitbox thing is gonna be like the giant head hitbox of old on the old founder Atlas. Side torsos will start popping left and right you'll be a walking stick too quick.

I guess you can feel like that in tier 4 land where nobody can aim. But against anybody competent it is extremely easy to CT core out an atlas, since even when they twist to the side you can shoot the skull to hit CT. This hitbox change is meant to help that so that it can spread damage better.

#16 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:06 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 04 December 2023 - 09:09 PM, said:

Please climb to Tier 1 so I can HAG80 your Atlas' head to drill your CT with absolutely nothing you can do about it gets through your skull about what this change actually means.

Against good players Atlas' regularly die with yellow on every component except CT because the CT is effectively unshieldable from any angle via the head.

Edited by Evan20k, 05 December 2023 - 04:06 PM.

#17 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:32 PM

You can use that to your advantage. Play the early game without twisting at all. If a laserburn hits you in the ST, quickly reposition so that the damage is dealt to your CT instead. Then, once your CT is bright red, your wrist weights come off. The enemy will be conditioned to only hitting your CT, so once you start twisting like a maniac, all the shots hitting the side of the head will be redirected to your ST. Suddenly your HP pool just became massive, as if you had 3 CT's. Enemy shoots a 2hag40? Twist, BAM, all in the right ST. Enemy tries to burn you with 2gauss 3HLL 2LPL 6ERML? Twist, BAM, all in the left ST. Sneaky Snek tries to backstab you with SRMs? Lmao, you had 20 back armor, so you turn around and insta-gib the little bugger. You are a TANK. Embrace the role.

Edited by Llyranor, 05 December 2023 - 04:33 PM.

#18 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:17 PM

View PostSneaky Snek, on 05 December 2023 - 03:59 PM, said:

I guess you can feel like that in tier 4 land where nobody can aim. But against anybody competent it is extremely easy to CT core out an atlas, since even when they twist to the side you can shoot the skull to hit CT. This hitbox change is meant to help that so that it can spread damage better.

Listen here you filthy toxic tier one compie, do I waltz into your life with a well known and demonstrated problem to butt blast you with reality?! No.

So kindly leave me to my peaceful dreams of matrix dodging weapons fire in my stationary atlas.

(Please note: this is humorous heavy sarcasm and is intended purely to make Snek laugh. That is all)

Edited by Temporary Axis, 05 December 2023 - 06:21 PM.

#19 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 614 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:37 PM

if you look at Jarl's you can see I just came back to the game. The Tier system doesn't seem to mean much. I'm close to T3 now and I've been just having fun.

https://leaderboard....ch?u=SolCrusher

#20 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:53 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 05 December 2023 - 09:37 PM, said:

if you look at Jarl's you can see I just came back to the game. The Tier system doesn't seem to mean much. I'm close to T3 now and I've been just having fun.

https://leaderboard....ch?u=SolCrusher

I'm sorry but that's worse than I imagined.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users