Jump to content

Mouse Recommendations


22 replies to this topic

#1 Reburn

    Rookie

  • The Virulent
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:42 AM

Greetings!

Looking for mouse recommendations.

I'm using a corsair M65, which I've been generally happy with. It has enough buttons for 4x weapon groups, scroll zoom, a consumable (I usually keep arty strike on the mouse), and 3x DPI controls (up/down/sniper).

I'd REALLY like just one or two more to map Coolshot and a 5th weapon group for some of the more technical builds.

So I bought a Corsair Nightsword. VERY comfortable mouse for my large hands, btw. Turns out, MWO will NOT recognize the buttons originally designed for DPI or Preset control, so it actually has LESS buttons than the M65. I've remapped them with the Corsair iCUE software. The only way MWO recognizes it is if I assign them a keyboard input key. MWO crashes when I do that, and I can only speculate it's assuming I'm cheating somehow.

So Corsair Nightsword is out. Returning. :/

Anyway, I'm interested if you USE a mouse for MWO that MWO registers buttons on for at least:

Right/Left Click
Scroll Wheel/Scroll Click
4x additional buttons MWO recognizes
Sniper DPI button

I'm looking at the Logitech G502 line and the Razer Basilisk V3, but I don't have any way of knowing if they're going to have the same problems as the Corsair Nightsword.

#2 ImaginaryFireball

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 01:36 PM

I have a G502, those two buttons next to the left click are DPI control only and can not be mapped. If you want something with more than two clicks and two side buttons, you'l probably need to get one of those mouses that are meant for MMORPGs that have a full keypad on the side of them. I think that the extra buttons on those are just detected as a keyboard number pad, but I've never really tried one.

#3 w0qj

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 December 2023 - 01:43 PM

I just use my trusty Logi MX Anywhere mouse ;)

BTW, did you also buy your corsair M65 for the macro capability? :)

I personally consider using macro in gaming (in general) something akin to nightshade...

#4 Meep Meep

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 05 December 2023 - 01:43 PM

OG MX518 if you can find one. Original mouse not the cheaply made 'lengendary' when they started production of them back up. Not that the legendary isn't a good mouse it is but its not near awesomeness of the OG. I got lucky a few years back and best buy had a huge sale and there were three of them left for $20 each. Nabbed em all.

#5 SolCrusher

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:46 PM

I use an old razer naga, I haven't bought a new mouse yet even though the LEDs have basically burned out.

12 side buttons and 6 others basically. MWO doesn't mind the razer software running.

#6 Curccu

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:17 PM

View PostImaginartFireball, on 05 December 2023 - 01:36 PM, said:

I have a G502, those two buttons next to the left click are DPI control only and can not be mapped. If you want something with more than two clicks and two side buttons, you'l probably need to get one of those mouses that are meant for MMORPGs that have a full keypad on the side of them. I think that the extra buttons on those are just detected as a keyboard number pad, but I've never really tried one.


Got same mouse, IMO excellent bang for buck, I have seen them on same as low as 30€.
For me at least Logitech Gaming Software allows me to bind what ever I want to DPI buttons.
You can bind total 11 different clicks on this mouse..
M1,2,3,4,5,6, mouse wheel sideways to both sides, DPI buttons and one under mouse wheel click button.
Not all of those are easy to use with normal grip but...

#7 ImaginaryFireball

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:41 PM

View PostCurccu, on 05 December 2023 - 03:17 PM, said:

Got same mouse, IMO excellent bang for buck, I have seen them on same as low as 30€.
For me at least Logitech Gaming Software allows me to bind what ever I want to DPI buttons.
You can bind total 11 different clicks on this mouse..
M1,2,3,4,5,6, mouse wheel sideways to both sides, DPI buttons and one under mouse wheel click button.
Not all of those are easy to use with normal grip but...

When I tried to use the software to bind the DPI buttons and scroll wheel tilt, it messed up my ability to use the mouse in games. It wouldn't even let me bind the normal mouse buttons to game functions anymore. If it works for other people, it must've just been a problem with how I had things set up. Oh well, still works perfectly fine for my needs even without the extra buttons.

#8 CFC Conky

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:22 PM

Trackball user here, Logitech MX Ergo.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 aardappelianen

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:51 PM

once you go 12 side buttons you can never go back, i even have a button that spits out my mwo password its glorious.

i have a red dragon m908 you can set 5 dpi's upto 12k or somthing but i only play at 2k and minimum sensitivity in game, i wonder if there's a optimal dpi considerd for mwo

Edited by aardappelianen, 05 December 2023 - 04:51 PM.


#10 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:47 PM

had good luck with my g604. cat proof, lots of extra buttons, good macro software (with lua scripting), programmable dpi switch.

View Postaardappelianen, on 05 December 2023 - 04:51 PM, said:

once you go 12 side buttons you can never go back, i even have a button that spits out my mwo password its glorious.

i have a red dragon m908 you can set 5 dpi's upto 12k or somthing but i only play at 2k and minimum sensitivity in game, i wonder if there's a optimal dpi considerd for mwo


until you hit the button in game and someone steals your password.

#11 Reburn

    Rookie

  • The Virulent
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:56 PM

View Postw0qj, on 05 December 2023 - 01:43 PM, said:

I just use my trusty Logi MX Anywhere mouse Posted Image

BTW, did you also buy your corsair M65 for the macro capability? Posted Image

I personally consider using macro in gaming (in general) something akin to nightshade...

No, I actually got the M65 before starting MWO. MWO recognizes Mouse1 - Mouse5 on it native. I'd love an Mouse6, but you can't remap the DPIs to do that as far as I can find.

#12 aardappelianen

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:05 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 December 2023 - 06:47 PM, said:

had good luck with my g604. cat proof, lots of extra buttons, good macro software (with lua scripting), programmable dpi switch.



until you hit the button in game and someone steals your password.

its on the last row bewteen my volume buttons, besides it doesnt include the chat button ofcourse and i always need to press enter to send, i played thousands of matches already and my thumb always rests on the buttons so its fine :P

#13 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:16 PM

View Postaardappelianen, on 05 December 2023 - 07:05 PM, said:

its on the last row bewteen my volume buttons, besides it doesnt include the chat button ofcourse and i always need to press enter to send, i played thousands of matches already and my thumb always rests on the buttons so its fine Posted Image


the g604 has a sixpack on the side and i have trouble hitting the two in the rear. unless i jam it into the corner of my keyboard. they are usually turbo buttons. when this happens on match start, the guy in front usually doesn't appreciate it, and the fact that you used a macro rubs salt in the wound.

#14 Curccu

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:10 AM

View PostImaginartFireball, on 05 December 2023 - 03:41 PM, said:

When I tried to use the software to bind the DPI buttons and scroll wheel tilt, it messed up my ability to use the mouse in games. It wouldn't even let me bind the normal mouse buttons to game functions anymore. If it works for other people, it must've just been a problem with how I had things set up. Oh well, still works perfectly fine for my needs even without the extra buttons.


Have you tried making game specific profiles?

#15 Moadebe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:25 AM

The Logitech G502 Hero is a beast of a mouse at a fraction of the price.

https://www.amazon.c...C92&sr=8-2&th=1

You CAN map the buttons to anything you want. The mouse wheel can be clicked left or right to add two more. The DPI settings below the wheel.

Currently have mine setup as the usual left/right click for groups 1 and 2.
3 side buttons for thumb for groups 3/4 (not using one)
Two buttons next to left click groups 5/6
Mouse wheel left and right click are different visions (thermal and night vision)
Mouse wheel up is advanced zoom
Mouse wheel down is target
I dont use the buttons below the mouse wheel but they are set for my DPI

Its also one of the cheapest mice that I've used that actually comes with weights to help adjust its feel (which imo does matter.)

The software is a bit wonky however. I have had to use almost all my keybinds on the mouse as iterations of hotkeys. Specifically as the NUM pad + - / * and numpad numbers. Since I dont use those outside of things. I could remap them to ALT+CTRL+<insert outta the way key here>. So the software and button recognition could use some help. (I saw a previous comment talking about this issue....try keybinds to outta the way keys or combos to bypass any games not recognizing the mouse buttons.)

Hope this helps

#16 w0qj

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:52 AM

It was a light-hearted remark; no offense was intended! ;)


View PostReburn, on 05 December 2023 - 06:56 PM, said:

No, I actually got the M65 before starting MWO. MWO recognizes Mouse1 - Mouse5 on it native. I'd love an Mouse6, but you can't remap the DPIs to do that as far as I can find.


#17 Mark Yore

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:24 AM

I just use my Logitech G203 because it has great ergonomics. I do have a G503 but it doesn't sit well in my (medium sized) hand.

I have a Redragon M913 but it's a bit of overkill for what I actually need. The M811 version looks a bit more useable and I might try that.

I run a fairly stripped-down set of keys with the mouse in my right hand and a mechanical keypad (with replacement keys) in my left, meaning that there are some commands I can't use.

My perfect mouse would be based on the G203, with an extra centre button and the scroll wheel (for zoom) directly below it. It would have a lockable side button for switching tag on and off and that's about all I need.

#18 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:22 PM

wires, ick. not cat proof.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2023 - 12:22 PM.


#19 ImaginaryFireball

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:44 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 December 2023 - 12:22 PM, said:

wires, ick. not cat proof.

I prefer wires to having to worry about batteries.

#20 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:45 PM

View PostImaginartFireball, on 06 December 2023 - 12:44 PM, said:

I prefer wires to having to worry about batteries.


you also dont have a 25 pound cable chewing catzilla that is also very clingy. ive had two cable chewers, both tuxes.

battery life is like 3 months now. i think this one even supports an in-pad charging coil (sold separately of course).

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2023 - 12:51 PM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users