My Atlas D-Dc Is Squishy, Can You Recommend A Tanky Build?

22 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:21 AM

I know Atlas is an iconic mech, and has a repuation of being a pretty a pretty good killing machine, even if not the best out there. But I'm not feeling it. A 75 ton Marauder is way tankier and deals more damage than my Atlas D-DC. And no, I'm not running an XL engine :)

So could you recommend a good D-DC build, a newbie-friendly one, perhaps?

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 02:34 AM

The classic is AC/20+3ASRM6. I'm not sure it's noob-friendly though, since it requires good timing and positioning. Though it might be easier in T5 drops, I'm not sure how that work.
If you want more range, MRMs can be your friends.
I strongly advise against going for LRMs, even if it looks easy: there are much more effective chassis for this weapons, like the Awesome.

#3 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 November 2023 - 03:24 AM

Thanks! Yes, LRMs on an Atlas sounds like a very bad idea. Besides, I have Cyclops 10Q for that.
My fit was 2xRAC5 + 2xMRM20 and the problem is that dies so quickly it's not even funny.

Edited by DavidStarr, 01 November 2023 - 03:25 AM.

#4 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:35 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 01 November 2023 - 03:24 AM, said:

My fit was 2xRAC5 + 2xMRM20 and the problem is that dies so quickly it's not even funny.

The problem with RACs is they force you to stare at your target, and it goes against how you tank with an Atlas: you alpha-strike, then you twist and let your beefy arms take the incoming damage (the arms are big, well armored and without significant weapons, perfect shields), and when your weapons have reloaded you flick and alpha again,... then repeat, etc.

That being said, you will die in your Atlas: your role is often to lead the charge, and you'll probably be a primary target.
(if you feel your team is not ready to charge, don't go alone, be patient, save your armor and wait for the situation to sort itself out)

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:31 AM

Another issue for you is available tonnage. Two RAC's forces you to use a standard engine, which is nice for survival but you're leaving tonnage on the table. So since you want to avoid RAC's to get away from the "Stare at them" playstyle, switch off to an Ultra AC/10 instead. This lets you pack in a light engine and leaves more tonnage for your other weapons.

Like this, for example. Not an optimal build, but you get the idea:

https://mwo.nav-alph...3d606e_AS7-D-DC

#6 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:41 AM

That's interesting too, thanks! Looks like a good option for versatility (not having to stick to close range 100% of the time).

Meanwhile, I've tried the suggested AC20 + SRM-A build, and it is indeed quite a bit better. It's amazing how well the AC and SRMs synergise (no coincidence, I'm sure). I still seem to do better with a 75 ton MAD-BH than 100 ton D-DC, but I no longer suck as much as I did.

Edited by DavidStarr, 01 November 2023 - 09:50 AM.

#7 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:21 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 01 November 2023 - 09:41 AM, said:

I still seem to do better with a 75 ton MAD-BH than 100 ton D-DC

Oh, tonnage doesn't do everything, maybe its just because you're more comfortable in this mech.
Personally I'm doing way better in a Firestarter than in any assault mech. It just fit my playstyle.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:31 AM

View Postepikt, on 01 November 2023 - 10:21 AM, said:

Oh, tonnage doesn't do everything, maybe its just because you're more comfortable in this mech.
Personally I'm doing way better in a Firestarter than in any assault mech. It just fit my playstyle.

Yup, that Marauder is a lower target priority than the Atlas, has a better silhouette from the front, and is a torso twisting BOSS. Love me those Marauders.

Playstyle is everything. Try different mechs as you can afford them, you'll figure out which ones just click for you.

#9 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:22 PM

I've checked my stats - I already have much better damage per game with Atlas than BH2 (380 vs 300). Memory and perception can be deceiving - it's easy to remember just the good games.But I do often have insane "damage taken" in BH2 (not always accompanied by an impressive damage dealt).

Edited by DavidStarr, 01 November 2023 - 04:22 PM.

#10 ForSclence

• Pip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:29 PM

You'll find what you like i'm sure! Make sure to experiment with different weapons, equipment, and mech sizes!

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,660 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:50 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 01 November 2023 - 03:24 AM, said:

Thanks! Yes, LRMs on an Atlas sounds like a very bad idea. Besides, I have Cyclops 10Q for that.

That is because you are using a waist-high staring weapon on your D-DC. That's a bad idea - the Atlas is a huge target, as well as a well-known threat. When you expose yourself to use those RACs, you'll end up being a target for multiple 'mechs - and frankly, those two RACs are essentially the armament of a Medium. Instead, Try This! And be patient.

Brawling often means waiting for your opportunity. If you walk out under the guns of three or four fresh enemy 'mechs, you'll just be killed or crippled, and the fact that it took more damage to do it than most other 'mechs in the game won't console you very well. Instead, stay close to the main body of the team, watch the flanks and your minimap, and try to find an enemy you can isolate. Once that happens, be sure to twist away from your target between shots, and melt them with your close-range firepower. Other 'mechs can carry more firepower, or boat long-range guns, or move faster. Heck, Annihilators are actually slightly harder to kill in a staring contest - but nothing takes a licking and keeps on kicking like a properly piloted Atlas.

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,660 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 November 2023 - 01:06 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 01 November 2023 - 04:22 PM, said:

I've checked my stats - I already have much better damage per game with Atlas than BH2 (380 vs 300). Memory and perception can be deceiving - it's easy to remember just the good games.But I do often have insane "damage taken" in BH2 (not always accompanied by an impressive damage dealt).

Also, the entire Marauder chassis can take amazing damage for their size, because of the 'mech's architecture. That front-on wedge profile allows you to spread damage with very little twisting, and this makes a huge difference in actual survivability (this is the same reason the Annihilator is one of the toughest Assaults; it's boat-like torso shape has the same effect.) But with RACs on that Atlas, you're not going to be able to twist away and maintain damage, so enemies just target your center torso and hold the trigger down - that's why you're dying so fast.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,676 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 November 2023 - 07:06 PM

And just to add about the CT, more seasoned/experienced players also tend to aim more for the cockpit location. Each mech varies but for an atlas, the cockpit/head has the largest surface area that can be hit from different angles. The other item is to front load the armor on mechs, meaning not to leave 20 armor points on the rear, and max out that armor, never remove total points from LT/CT/RT. And mechs with Armor quirks benefit more from Armor Skill points.

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Posted Image

#14 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the very solid advice! I barely have any skillpoints on my Atlas, so hopefully investing into it will make playing it more fun.

#15 Cog777

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:13 PM

My problem with almost all Atlas is that if you want to utilize all firepower, you need to use MRM but it makes the build too hot to shoot continuously.

Except Atlas Warlord. It is one of the best brawler in the game. 2xLB20X + 2 SnubPPC allows nice shoot and twist rhythm four times on a hot map before overheating. Additionally you can shoot two times with cool shot. It is also good against the faster mechs due to LBX.

On the Solaris City map I've done 1400+ DMG with it because my flank succeeded.

If you want to build similar build on DDC, maybe 2xSnubPPC + AC20/LB20x and some missile/rockets can do similar performance but it will be hot.

Edited by Cog777, 13 December 2023 - 12:17 PM.

#16 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,449 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 December 2023 - 01:47 PM

The Atlas (along with Jenner & Cicada) just had a hitbox tweak in this Dec 2023 Patch, made its CT much harder to hit.
ie: Twisting really helps protect your CT...

Not sure what the new hitbox looks like though, although guess we'll find out soon!
https://mwomercs.com...-localization-2

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,660 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2023 - 02:07 PM

View Postw0qj, on 13 December 2023 - 01:47 PM, said:

The Atlas (along with Jenner & Cicada) just had a hitbox tweak in this Dec 2023 Patch, made its CT much harder to hit.
ie: Twisting really helps protect your CT...

Not sure what the new hitbox looks like though, although guess we'll find out soon!
https://mwomercs.com...-localization-2

Really? Was that an undocumented change? Don't see it in the notes, but I'm happy about it.

#18 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,449 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 December 2023 - 02:11 PM

For Atlas, the sides of its head is now side torso (similar to the Fafnir fix), so twisting actually protect CT since you cannot shoot at the head for CT all of the time...

I cannot find the discussion thread that discussed this in detail anymore... hard to find stuff in forums...

Guess MWO should have put it into its patch notes... or make an announcement here:
http://www.mwomercs.com

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 December 2023 - 02:53 PM

Honestly my successful Atlas builds all start with an AC20 and MRM40, then pad that going AC->UAC (most of them), additional MRM launchers and/or Medium Lasers. It's not very sophisticated but it works.

Edited by Horseman, 14 December 2023 - 11:51 AM.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,660 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2023 - 03:01 PM

I've used double-stacked LB-10X on my D-DC. Not sure it's worth the lower engine any more, but it does a lot of damage close-in, even compared to (U)AC/20 + SRM6 builds.

Unfortunately, an MRM40 and UAC/20 will do the same DPS with a higher engine cap these days.

Basically, it's trading speed for midrange crit fishing on the LB-X (and increased durability from a STD engine.)

Edited by Void Angel, 13 December 2023 - 03:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users