Archer Builds?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Rachear ordain

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 12:06 PM

really want to get into archers but dont want to go about it the wrong way any good builds for lrms+ short range defense?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 December 2023 - 05:08 PM

You're going to love LRMs in laser range. No TAG required, just get your own locks by raking the target with lasers. This is the one I run all the time. When the range is too short for LRM's, don't fire them and keep torso twisting, the LRM doors provider 20% damage reduction to incoming against your side torsos!

https://mwo.nav-alph...=9e993d63_ARC-T

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 December 2023 - 06:53 PM

Optimal engagement range for LRMs has always been ~300m. It's just that it's also the optimal engagement range for angry people who hate LRMs, so it's tempting to hide - and if your team has locks, you should definitely whale away. Just remember that indirect LRM fire spreads more and takes longer to hit.

#4 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2023 - 08:03 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 23 December 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

I run a very similar build but with Artemis, and probably fewer lasers. I used to like it a lot, but Huntsman Pakhet does more damage than this, and is much more consistent. Catapult A1 with Artemis is probably better, too.
I shall try your exact build, hopefully I was Archering the wrong way and it will be better with your build.

So you're saying not to keep door bays open all the time?

Edited by DavidStarr, 25 December 2023 - 08:03 AM.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 08:20 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 08:03 AM, said:

So you're saying not to keep door bays open all the time?

First, the missile bay doors provide additional protection only when they are closed.

Second, they open and close automatically when you are firing your missiles. You do not have to open them manually.

#6 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2023 - 08:58 AM

I do have to open them manually if I want to fire on command, not 5 seconds later when the target may already be going into cover. Catapult also has missile bay doors and the same problem that comes with them. There's a button to toggle them permanently open ('/', IIRC) that solves the problem as long as you don't forget to toggle it when the battle starts.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 09:46 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

I do have to open them manually if I want to fire on command, not 5 seconds later when the target may already be going into cover. Catapult also has missile bay doors and the same problem that comes with them.
This is no longer true. Do you own the Catapult or the Archer?

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

There's a button to toggle them permanently open ('/', IIRC) that solves the problem as long as you don't forget to toggle it when the battle starts.
Using this button will only result in you forgetting to close those missile bay doors.

#8 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2023 - 09:48 AM

I do own them, what has changed with regards to the bay doors?

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 09:56 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 09:48 AM, said:

I do own them, what has changed with regards to the bay doors?

There is no firing delay. Try those 'Mechs in the game.

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 11:03 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 December 2023 - 09:56 AM, said:

There is no firing delay. Try those 'Mechs in the game.

Yup, as of the patch in August 2021, there is no more missile door firing delay. And the damage reduction kicks back in 3 seconds after you fire the missiles.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 11:10 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 25 December 2023 - 11:03 AM, said:

Yup, as of the patch in August 2021, there is no more missile door firing delay. And the damage reduction kicks back in 3 seconds after you fire the missiles.

And yet, he insists that his Archer and Catapult fire their missiles "5 seconds later".

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 December 2023 - 12:21 PM

It's hyperbole; it's fine - he could also have simply left off the "point" in ".5 seconds." What's interesting is whether he's tried missiles on his Archers and experienced that non-existent delay as a cognitive artifact.

That sort of thing can happen, and it's fascinating to see.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 02:14 PM

View Postmartian, on 25 December 2023 - 11:10 AM, said:

And yet, he insists that his Archer and Catapult fire their missiles "5 seconds later".

More like he’s still in the habit of manually opening the doors to avoid the delay, and if he does that he wouldn’t know they removed the delay two years ago.

#14 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2023 - 02:56 PM

Yes, I usually don't forget to open the bay doors so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info!

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 11:28 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 02:56 PM, said:

Yes, I usually don't forget to open the bay doors so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info!

Try using SRMs or MRMs instead of LRMs.

#16 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2023 - 11:35 PM

Could you share specific builds that work well?
I tried SRMa on Catapult A1, it can be fun but the damage is sub-par. Didn't try MRMs on Catapult or Tempest, though.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 11:38 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 25 December 2023 - 11:35 PM, said:

Could you share specific builds that work well?
I tried SRMa on Catapult A1, it can be fun but the damage is sub-par. Didn't try MRMs on Catapult or Tempest, though.

Just use MRM-40s and lots of ammo, or use MRM-30s and add some medium lasers. Pretty simple.

#18 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 26 December 2023 - 06:24 AM

There are two version I will run with LRMs

ARC-2R 2LRM20, 4ML in the arms(ERML if you prefer), TAG in the Torso, BAP in the torso, Endo, 255 LFE, 1DHS, 10 tons of ammo.

The other version will play around with the engine and go with 3 LRM 15 which I will chain fire.

Neither are fast, moving just under 60 kph but the Archer isn't a front line brawler so the reduced speed isn't too bad. It will often be hanging near the slower moving assaults providing direct fire LRM support which the TAG helps with and using the ML as needed.

In the lower tiers you may be able to farm those not experienced enough to use cover and break locks with indirect fire, and even in mid to high you can get lucky from time to time. Too many low tier LRM boats think they can stand back and hurl missiles over the horizon with impunity. It works some times but any smart player who sees the stream is going to flank and close at which point you are one more missile boat crying for help as the lights eat you. LRMs can be great when used properly, especially with smart teammates who bring along a NARC, but have definite limits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users