7 replies to this topic

#1 Senjustutech

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 11:45 PM

Hello guys, I tried to login to play mwo and this is what it gave me:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
at MWO_Portal.ViewModel.PortalViewModel.initialize_Task()
at MWO_Portal.ViewModel.PortalViewModel.<Initialize>b__90_0()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
at MWO_Portal.App.Main()

Devs any idea what this means?

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 February 2024 - 09:08 AM

Err... don't know what above error is...

Suggest to contact MWO Support directly; they are quite quick and helpful! Good luck!

technical@mwomercs.com
support@mwomercs.com
www.mwomercs.com/support

#3 Question Me

Rookie

• Cadet
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:52 PM

This keeps happening to me too, frankly, I can clearly see why the NEW-Player Retention is so abysmal.

Merely by trying to download the game itself from the official website, that is.

Edited by Question Me, 04 February 2024 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 February 2024 - 04:03 PM

Also review the following thread - the user never responded back but PGI had asked some questions

https://mwomercs.com...hes-on-startup/

Hrm, I've done a look through the Portal code and I can't find a smoking gun yet. Just a couple of questions while I continue looking:
-Did you get the Portal update that was pushed out a couple of weeks ago (specifically Aug. 13th)? (old thread)

-If you go to Apps & Features in Windows, and then select the MWO Portal, what version does it show? It should be 1.0.85.0 (Current version is 1.4.291.0 )

-Did you perhaps manually move your game to a different directory or drive?

Besides that, while I continue to investigate, I'll just offer the "top of my head" suggestions. First is the classic Roy maneuvre, "have you tried turning it off and on again?" (meaning reboot your computer). Another suggestion that might be of help is to try uninstalling the Portal (not the game, just the MWO Portal itself) and re-install it.

I'll let you know if I find anything else out.]

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 February 2024 - 04:04 PM.

#5 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 February 2024 - 01:58 PM

I myself use the Steam installation of MWO ;)
https://store.steamp..._Online_Legends

View PostQuestion Me, on 04 February 2024 - 02:52 PM, said:

This keeps happening to me too, frankly, I can clearly see why the NEW-Player Retention is so abysmal.

Merely by trying to download the game itself from the official website, that is.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 March 2024 - 09:53 AM

I use the organic client, basically because I didn't want to give Steam any more control over my games than it has already. But... I've downloaded the game a few times; it's probably not the website, I'm afraid.

#7 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:55 AM

View PostQuestion Me, on 04 February 2024 - 02:52 PM, said:

Why need new players when your losing old players too? PGI doesn't care about players only the cauldron.... it's why all the patch changes are hidden behind an unlocked but closed door of the cauldrons discord... untill the offical patch release.

View PostVoid Angel, on 04 March 2024 - 09:53 AM, said:

I use the organic client, basically because I didn't want to give Steam any more control over my games than it has already. But... I've downloaded the game a few times; it's probably not the website, I'm afraid.
Yet your fine with PGI having control of your game.....

Edited by KursedVixen, 05 March 2024 - 05:57 AM.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 March 2024 - 12:08 PM

Vix... I've literally rewritten this post several times trying to describe how nonsensical that idea is - whom do you imagine controls the state of a game, if not its developers?

As for the rest of that dreck, it's not terribly uncommon for a developer to use or sponsor a Discord server. It IS uncommon for a developer to have a pre-release discussion forum where patch changes can be previewed - in most cases, the devs may put out an announcement via a dev blog or something, but everyone finds out the patch notes when they're released. You are literally complaining about being given an opportunity to preview and discuss balance changes before they happen - and you've used that opportunity to smear PGI for doing things you dislike "not caring about the players."

None of this is no topic, however - so stop that. You can lie about how terrible PGI is for taking the advice of highly skilled players instead of just doing what you wanted on the general forums. We're trying to help people here; be helpful, or butt out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users