Exe-B-A Omnipods: The First Time Battlepasses Have A Noncosmetic Effect On Gameplay?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Jonzay

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:22 PM

In the patch notes, I noticed this:

NEW EXECUTIONER OMNIPODS:
New Left Arm and Right Arm pods from Executioner-B-A OmniMech are added for use with the Executioner chassis. These arm pods offer two ballistic hardpoints each.
The new arm pods are obtainable through reaching Tier 20 of the SOVEREIGN Legend mech battle pass

This means that the arm pods won't be available via MC/C-Bills unless they are put into the store at the same time as the 'mech's introduction into the store.

Is this the first instance of a Legends battlepass having a non-cosmetic effect on gameplay? Either way, if their stance on the arm pod availability does not change when the mechs become available for MC, I feel like this is a step in the wrong direction when it comes to monetisation of MWO.

#2 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 17 February 2024 - 04:43 PM

They were added because the Legendary by itself was underperforming.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 05:19 PM

i think it would be a good way to move mc if you put up hero omnipods up for sale for mc. of course at a price point where its cheaper to buy the mech than all the omnipods.

on the other hand im fine with this and there are more profitable ways to appease the masses. for example putting up the stock config and a config with the new omnis when it comes out for mc. so you could buy the config you like, but you would have to buy both to get all the pods.

frankly the exe is the only one of the last four im remotely interested in buying when i get the funds so for me the whole point is moot.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 February 2024 - 05:20 PM.

#4 Valec

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 03:57 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 17 February 2024 - 04:43 PM, said:

They were added because the Legendary by itself was underperforming.

But won't they underperform without those pods for people who buy them with MC later when they become available? As far as I can see it, the OPs point remains an issue.

#5 Jonzay

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:53 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 February 2024 - 05:19 PM, said:

frankly the exe is the only one of the last four im remotely interested in buying when i get the funds so for me the whole point is moot.

And what would your thoughts be if it was a mech you preferred more, and the omnipod battlepass rewards were even more favourable compared to existing offerings?

for example putting up the stock config and a config with the new omnis when it comes out for mc. so you could buy the config you like, but you would have to buy both to get all the pods.

If the pods are, one way or another, available via MC once the legendary mech is (at the very latest), then I have no issues (that is, after all, how current hero mech omnipods work). But there isn't any indication that that will be the case at this point.

#6 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:52 AM

Maybe they will simply release another MC variant when it goes to MC sale. Simple solution which gives them an excuse for another Hero.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:56 AM

View PostValec, on 19 February 2024 - 03:57 PM, said:

But won't they underperform without those pods for people who buy them with MC later when they become available? As far as I can see it, the OPs point remains an issue.

OP's 'point' is OH NOES PAY 2 WIN!!! Which isn't the case. The pods weren't added so that owners of the Legendary would get the upperhand over regular EXE pilots, they were added to make the Legendary suck less. Thus even if there's no mechanism to gain the pods when the 'Mech is available for MC, this is hardly a situation PGI wanted to be in, so it's unlikely it will be repeated.

#8 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:39 PM

Dang, I miss Mechwarrior4 we mostly called the executioner a Gladiator I used them on short range city maps, and they were the Trex of the game mine had 3 Clbx20 and 4 medium lasers with full armor and jump jets with plenty of ammo. The fun was doing what we call in MechWarrior DFA's =Death from Above moves then blasting them which resulted in them falling over then finishing them off for good.

In MWO you can still make a few good builds but there a little slow and unagile and lack the same firepower as in MechWarrior 4.

#9 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:28 AM

My sense for inequality made me stumble when i read through the patchnotes regarding this.

I hope PGI will make those Omni-Pods available to everyone after some time (how someone somewhere else suggested).

If not it really can rally be said it will be a "pay-to-win" thing and opener of a new and unpleasant monetization scheme.

Let's wait and see how they re-act and get the forks and torches ready just in case nothing will happen towards equality Posted Image

#10 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:31 PM

View PostDaniBot, on 22 February 2024 - 08:28 AM, said:

My sense for inequality made me stumble when i read through the patchnotes regarding this.

I hope PGI will make those Omni-Pods available to everyone after some time (how someone somewhere else suggested).

If not it really can rally be said it will be a "pay-to-win" thing and opener of a new and unpleasant monetization scheme.

It makes 2 x cUAC10 + 2 x cUAC5 builds possible. Like a bunch of other assaults, just with really low mounts that you have to expose the whole mech to use.

For contrast, there is the MadCat II-B, with cockpit mounts. Bloodasp, with above cockpit mounts + ECM. Direwolf, with 2 x cUAC10 + 3 x cUAC5 + ECM.

Things get awkward when you mention "pay" and then you can start looking at things like the Moonwalker with 3 cAC10 + 2 cUAV5 at cockpit height. What you definitely don't want to do is start looking at the Aksum with 4xcUAC5 + 2 x cUAC10, the lowest pair at cockpit height and the rest above. Here, try it in training grounds. It's got as JJ too. AFiE4:g1|2f|l^|l^|LGp?1|fB|eB|eBq?1|fB|eB|eBrD0|l^|QR|RR|l^|l^sD0|l^|QR|QR|l^tY0|RR|QRuY0|RR|QRvB0|RRw505050

Some of the legendaries are kind of wet blankets. A few were released with "features/bugs" that made them a little spicy at first. Moonwalker and LAA. Scattershot not actually scattering. Aksum with heat quirk. Some need some loving... and I don't think those pods on the EXE are gamebreaking at all.

#11 Magrowl

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:21 PM

Anyone talking about how strong or weak the mech/Omni pods are is entirely ignoring the issue which is if monetization. Every other legendary has been functionally the same for the MC purchasable version so far and PGI has said that there are no current plans to make these arm pods available outside of the battlepass. Seems to me like a bad precedent to set.

#12 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:13 PM

When they announced a bunch of the Clan Wave II/III heroes way back when, they ended up creating a bunch of made up variants to offer alongside the heroes due to the heroes offering strong hardpoint in comparison to free options that sparked a bit of backlash. This is worse than that because at least MC is handed out such that you could at least get those heroes just by playing events. PGI not thinking things through with monetization strikes again (ideally hero pods should have been available for MC long before).

#13 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:33 AM

I still don't get what's the Sovereign's gimmick even supposed to be.
A jump jet ballistic+energy clan assault? There are other Clan assaults for this, and the Sovereign even ditches the entire gimmick of the Executioner: a Clan assault with MASC+JJ.

Edited by Ttly, 24 February 2024 - 01:36 AM.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:46 AM

Considering the plethora of mechs to choose from, as long as there's cbill versions that can counter MC or paid versions of something with the same relative performance, I think we're OK, especially this many years in. Kinda like the first Hero was the Yen Lo Wang and it was the only Centurion that could carry an AC20 at the time. But it wasn't OP because there was the hunchback 4G that could perform about the same, the Yen Lo Wang's hardpoints didn't really make it different than the other Centurions. (The main problem there was PGI removed the -AH? variant that later got re-added. This effectively prevented you from being able to fully skill centurions unless you bought the hero--so that was a legit issue, but also early on when PGI wasn't sure how monetization would pan out to be, and in the IGP days).

#15 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:15 PM

View PostTtly, on 24 February 2024 - 01:33 AM, said:

I still don't get what's the Sovereign's gimmick even supposed to be.
A jump jet ballistic+energy clan assault? There are other Clan assaults for this, and the Sovereign even ditches the entire gimmick of the Executioner: a Clan assault with MASC+JJ.

Smaller engine, no MASC, fewer JJ. Means a lot more pod space and weight to make use of the hard points on other omnipods, then add some extra heatsinks.

#16 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:17 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 24 February 2024 - 07:46 AM, said:

Kinda like the first Hero was the Yen Lo Wang and it was the only Centurion that could carry an AC20 at the time.

I mean the CN9-AH that they removed from the game to make room for the Yen Lo could. You could still level up the Centurion just fine though because the Cent had 3 other variants outside the YLW and AH: A, AL, and the D.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 24 February 2024 - 01:17 PM.

#17 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 04:46 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 24 February 2024 - 01:15 PM, said:

Smaller engine, no MASC, fewer JJ. Means a lot more pod space and weight to make use of the hard points on other omnipods, then add some extra heatsinks.

What no endosteel does to a clan mech.

#18 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:20 PM

To be fair, part of the reason it seems to overlap with other assaults is even part of the lore of the Exe-B (which the variant is based on): Executioner B

TL;DR, it was technically the original Executioner design that Ghost Bears used for their project to design a totem Omni that resulted in both the Executioner we know today and the Kodiak. Given it is an older clan design (older than the Whale by 9 years it seem), yeah it should probably be expected.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 24 February 2024 - 09:23 PM.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:19 AM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 24 February 2024 - 01:17 PM, said:

I mean the CN9-AH that they removed from the game to make room for the Yen Lo could. You could still level up the Centurion just fine though because the Cent had 3 other variants outside the YLW and AH: A, AL, and the D.

You're right, we still had 3. Did they add one when they removed on maybe? It was so long ago and I was just starting to play and could only afford a Commando in those days.

#20 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:45 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 25 February 2024 - 07:19 AM, said:

You're right, we still had 3. Did they add one when they removed on maybe? It was so long ago and I was just starting to play and could only afford a Commando in those days.

I think they added the D later on but it was still before they removed the AH, pretty sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users