Red Reaper Explosive Right Torso

16 replies to this topic

#1 Fitch Buckingston

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:55 AM

Okay, so for three games in a row I lost my right torso, the one carrying the shield, in less then a second. Literally in less than a second. That means more than 130 Damage, not even orange armor anywhere else. Is this a bug?

#2 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:59 AM

View PostFitch Buckingston, on 21 February 2024 - 10:55 AM, said:

Okay, so for three games in a row I lost my right torso, the one carrying the shield, in less then a second. Literally in less than a second. That means more than 130 Damage, not even orange armor anywhere else. Is this a bug?

what did you have in the RT? also are you using full armor hardening/structure quirks?

One minor issue with the RRII is that you can overtwist to expose your rear torso. happened to me a few times already. you might have taken a full alpha from something scary there and gotten one-shot.

#3 Fitch Buckingston

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, full armor and armor hardening, 2 in the back rest in front, makes 130 hp together with structure.
Got only a Snub and some lasers in this torso, even changed to light engine because of that :/

I just twist back towards the enemy, and get the damage even before my lasers stopped firing.

Edited by Fitch Buckingston, 21 February 2024 - 11:05 AM.

#4 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:53 AM

What I found in playing it is that if someone is sniping you from afar they can shoot right over the shield and blast that torso. Also if something gets in your back, as always, it's a rough go. Stick with teammates as they can cover your rear and help with lights. That shield is a massive target so use it while your teammates open fire with you providing some cover. But beware overrotating

#5 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like you might be over-twisting. It's got very large, high rear side torso sections, so if you're only slapping on 2 back armor and twisting past 90 degrees (or if someone was further along the flank than you expected) it's possible that you're getting popped like that. Even a relatively modest alpha of ~35-40 could do that, and there are people with builds doing twice that.

#6 Fitch Buckingston

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the answers, but I really don't think I am overtwisting. Sure, there are insane alphas out there, but there really seems to be something wrong with the mech. TTB also mentions it in his latest video "RED REAPER II has entered the chat!" (see minute 13), but he will explain that in a further video. Curious to see what he found out.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:09 AM

It really is as simple as the twisting angle. Say you're facing two opponents and twist to block. If you...

1 - Twist not enough, both opponents can still shoot your side torsos.
2 - Twist enough to block the mech on the right, the other opponent can still shoot your side torsos.
3 - Twist enough to block the mech on the left, the opponent on the right now has a shot at your back armor.

To play this mech well, you have to keep doing the defensive stuff you're already doing IN ADDITION to twisting the shield. Many folks substitute twisting for moving back around the corner, and they're finding the mech doesn't last as long as they thought it would.

#8 I am a Robot

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:39 PM

you can put a case in the shield arm. See if that makes a difference. not sure myself but never know. shrug

#9 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:31 AM

Might just be lag, the lagcomp for CryEngine is supposed to be shooter favoured. This means that if the shooter shot you before you twist your shield (even if from YOUR end they visually haven't) then they'll hit whatever they were aiming at.

#10 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:48 PM

View PostFitch Buckingston, on 21 February 2024 - 10:52 PM, said:

Thanks for the answers, but I really don't think I am overtwisting. Sure, there are insane alphas out there, but there really seems to be something wrong with the mech. TTB also mentions it in his latest video "RED REAPER II has entered the chat!" (see minute 13), but he will explain that in a further video. Curious to see what he found out.

The obvious solution to me is put some more armor on the back. I would never that little armor on a heavy, I rarely run that little on a light.

Same way you shave armor from the leg and arms on an assault, keep lowering it until you start to lose your arms or legs before your torso, then add a hair back to balance it.

You are running too little armor on the back right side, obviously. that shield is hard core, I've been fighting some Red Reapers who know how to use it effectively. and it has enough total armor to really soak up some damage, unlike the Centurion's.

I'm afraid of what will happen when an assault get a shields. LOL!

#11 Tiy0s

• PipPipPip
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, WA

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:56 PM

I've seen the strategy going around on discord but I may as well post here.

TTB's mistake when twisting is that he keeps his view on the horizon when twisting. When twisting with the red reaper, I've found that looking to the side and down gives full coverage of the mech. I also heavily recommend running twist nodes in the skill tree to get that 30% twist speed boost. The mech is really solid, I think it just takes some mindset adjustments for shield mechs.

#12 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:15 PM

View PostTiy0s, on 25 February 2024 - 10:56 PM, said:

TTB's mistake when twisting is that he keeps his view on the horizon when twisting. When twisting with the red reaper, I've found that looking to the side and down gives full coverage of the mech. I also heavily recommend running twist nodes in the skill tree to get that 30% twist speed boost. The mech is really solid, I think it just takes some mindset adjustments for shield mechs.

I think Phil has a point about shield angle though. Would it be possible to rotate the shields a bit more forward so you don't have to twist as much to use it fully? Not even a huge change maybe 30 degrees max. Just enough to make a short twist viable to block incoming fire but not expose your rear if you twist a bit too much.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:22 AM

Most mechs do not show a side/angle view but a little elevation likely provides enough to hit that Right Torso, and if you only putting a few points of damage on the rear, that is all it takes. Record your matches then review. Or if you have two computers, or make a virtual machine then log into a private match. And where the Front meets the Rear Torsos tend to be more of a wrap-around than say, walk into a room and the back wall is it, i it is more like the back wall and a portion of the connecting wall.

You should really record those drops though, for your peace of mind.

And Tamerlin will not have a pic until a mech drops for MC, per one of his posts.

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

View PostTiy0s, on 25 February 2024 - 10:56 PM, said:

Quoting this one for emphasis too. And if not into a private mech, one can drop into the Testing Grounds then use the alternate views for different angles. Cannot shot yourself but help see what it would look like.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 February 2024 - 06:27 AM.

#14 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 01 March 2024 - 07:45 AM

Nobody wants to mention the XL Elephant in the room?

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 March 2024 - 07:52 AM

View PostMechteric, on 01 March 2024 - 07:45 AM, said:

Nobody wants to mention the XL Elephant in the room?

You can always change the engine.

#16 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 01 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 01 March 2024 - 07:52 AM, said:

You can always change the engine.

Yep, just making sure the OP knows that since XL makes it squishier

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 March 2024 - 05:40 PM

View PostMechteric, on 01 March 2024 - 12:09 PM, said:

Yep, just making sure the OP knows that since XL makes it squishier

Hai, and I wished Chris had made the changes to the engines when he said he would look into it, including removing the instant death w/loss of 1st ST. Give XL 40%ish penalty, then cXL and LFE with reduced penalties.

PGI is utilizing only a portion of the engine crit rules and heatscale. Add that for any players running an IS trial mech or purchasing trial/champion/etc IS mechs w/isXL, even with the heat bar sitting at 0% isXL is instant death w/loss of a ST, whereas for cXL and the couple of mechs w/LFE it isn't. And it would make IS Omnimechs viable instead of players targeting a ST instead of CT/cockpit or both ST/legs to kill said mech. (CT/cockpit/both legs still needed for STD too ).
  • isXL 40% Engine loss heat capacity / x% loss heat dissipation / 25% movement
  • cXL 25-30% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 20% movement
  • LFE 15-20% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 15% movement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users