25 replies to this topic

#1 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:07 PM

Like the title says: SRMs need to be faster! I just had a match and was fighting a Piranha and it was dodging my missiles and we were within knife range. I have all the velocity nodes and they still dodge 'em. I did a whopping 87 damage that match and that was probably from my airstrike because I think I only connected with a few missiles.

Sorry for the small rant.

#2 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:27 AM

SRMs are already as fast as missiles get barring something like the Awesome 8V with its PPC velocity MRMs, it's the spread that makes them hard to use.
Besides, if you were on the shoe of that Piranha you'd be complaining about not being able to get into MG range unless your target is 100% distracted by something else while sitting on your extremely glass armor if every weapon could 1shot you even more than it already does.

And before you blame lag, pretty sure CryEngine lagcomp is shooter favoured above all else, I know I play on 250ms ping all the time and can hit stuff just fine.
The only time lag really mattered to me is the moments when I get hit after getting into cover.

Edited by Ttly, 24 February 2024 - 01:29 AM.

#3 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:22 AM

View PostTtly, on 24 February 2024 - 01:27 AM, said:

SRMs are already as fast as missiles get barring something like the Awesome 8V with its PPC velocity MRMs, it's the spread that makes them hard to use.
Besides, if you were on the shoe of that Piranha you'd be complaining about not being able to get into MG range unless your target is 100% distracted by something else while sitting on your extremely glass armor if every weapon could 1shot you even more than it already does.

And before you blame lag, pretty sure CryEngine lagcomp is shooter favoured above all else, I know I play on 250ms ping all the time and can hit stuff just fine.
The only time lag really mattered to me is the moments when I get hit after getting into cover.

The Piranha ate me alive with its machine guns. I'm not complaining about that. I am not blaming lag at all. As far as I can tell, there was no real lag.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:03 PM

I hate to say it 1Exitar1, and I say it with the greatest respect, but this is a prime example of more practice needed with SRMs. A well-driven PIR can be difficult to hit, and this goes for the LCT and FLE as well.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 173 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:36 PM

HAG has projectile speed 2000+ and I still cant hit light mechs Posted Image

Edited by torsie, 24 February 2024 - 12:37 PM.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:16 PM

Well, to be fair, those are torso-mounted in your Blood Asp. Makes a difference.

But yeah, it's legitimately hard to hit well-piloted Lights with SRMs - but that's the nature of missiles in the game. If they get much faster at that range, they'll just become a rocket shotgun.

#7 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:33 PM

View Posttorsie, on 24 February 2024 - 12:36 PM, said:

HAG has projectile speed 2000+ and I still cant hit light mechs Posted Image

Well the hag fires in a volley so expect your accuracy to be terrible, it's terrible for all players.

#8 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:36 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 23 February 2024 - 10:07 PM, said:

Like the title says: SRMs need to be faster! I just had a match and was fighting a Piranha and it was dodging my missiles and we were within knife range. I have all the velocity nodes and they still dodge 'em. I did a whopping 87 damage that match and that was probably from my airstrike because I think I only connected with a few missiles.

Sorry for the small rant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PGI nerfed short range and medium range missiles back to the stone age they now have 1/2 the damage they once had plus they nerfed the velocity by 1/2 and they messed up the spread and even with perks and skills they are not the same as they once were. Thank your buddies at the Cauldron for that nice change.

But you can take a large lasers and gauss riffles and hit a light mech on the run easily go figure. This change ruined a lot of light and medium mechs gameplay and game time they became basically useless. This is how bad it is for small and medium missiles I can take a Heavy gauss on my Fafnir and 1 shot a light on the run but I cannot kill a light with 250 short range or medium range missiles trying to leg it or run it down and yes, I'm within specified ranges.

It's been a few years ago they did this change back in the splat cat days players forget all the crazy dumb things they have changed in MWO to suit their favorite game play style sniping for their comp and faction buddies.

#9 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:10 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 25 February 2024 - 07:36 AM, said:

It's been a few years ago they did this change back in the splat cat days players forget all the crazy dumb things they have changed in MWO to suit their favorite game play style sniping for their comp and faction buddies.

It's funny you mention the splat cat because the Cauldron gave it a quirk that lets it alpha all six SRM6As with no ghost heat

https://mwo.nav-alph...8a10873_CPLT-A1

so that's over 300 damage at short range in about 15 seconds before you need to cool down. SRMs are pretty good at their chosen range. kinda sounds like a you problem.

#10 Arnetheus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 01:14 PM

This is some Looney Tunes description by TS.
I guess "missing targets" means "my shots were dodged" now.
Last patch added Dark Souls dodge rolls and i missed it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PGI nerfed short range and medium range missiles back to the stone age they now have 1/2 the damage they once had plus they nerfed the velocity by 1/2...

I'm sorry, were you playing some alternate reality MWO where SRM-6 did 24 damage and MRM-40 did 80?

But you can take a large lasers and gauss riffles and hit a light mech on the run easily go figure...
This is how bad it is for small and medium missiles I can take a Heavy gauss on my Fafnir and 1 shot a light on the run...

Big "F to doubt" in your case tbh.

Ah yes, the Scaleshot wasn't OP for some time recently in your version of MWO too, got it.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:08 PM

The Scaleshot is perfectly balanced and fair. For reasons similar to why Cataphract poptarts didn't break the meta until the Highlander and Victor were available.

#12 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 05:01 PM

The Jenner IIC exists already as "bootleg Scaleshot" and no one ever complained about that damn thing.
Then again it's practically almost a direct downgrade to the Scaleshot despite being a light mech which you'd think would warrant it getting more quirks.

Edited by Ttly, 25 February 2024 - 05:08 PM.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 February 2024 - 05:33 PM

PGI nerfed short range and medium range missiles back to the stone age they now have 1/2 the damage they once had plus they nerfed the velocity by 1/2 and they messed up the spread and even with perks and skills they are not the same as they once were.

What are you even blabbering on about?

The damage per missile has been pretty unchanged since SRMs lost splash (it's been ~2 damage for most of this game, 2.15 is where it currently is) and velocity has only gone up as this game has gone on (200m/s during the splat era, 250-300m/s during the era of cSPLs being better brawling weapons and 400m/s during probably the best era for splat outside of when it had broken *** splash and HSR didn't exist).

Let's ignore your nonsense about being able to oneshot lights given you are comparing a weapon with spread vs PPFLD. A weapon with spread is naturally going to do worse against lights than any other mech because of just less surface area to catch all projectiles. However people have talked about heavy gauss just doesn't feel right compared to SRMs which are pretty much one of the go to weapons for brawling outside of XPL/MG boats.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 25 February 2024 - 05:36 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2024 - 05:37 PM

The Jenner IIC is very much like an inferior version of the Scaleshot - which is partly why it has relatively few quirks. (You'll note that many Clan chassis do not have strong quirks compared to their Inner Sphere counterparts; most of the time, it's because of the superiority of the Clan tech base.) But the real reason the Jenner IIC wasn't broken like the Scaleshot is that it has no quirks for range and spread. Each of those 6 Scaleshot SRM launchers acted like an MRM-10 that did more damage for half the tonnage and space - with less heat and a shorter cooldown to boot.

Now that it's been nerfed down into sanity, the Scaleshot is still a threat - but it's not an eye-rolling, "here we go again" experience when you fight them.

#15 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:09 PM

The slow velocity and large spread are the trade-off for having the most tonnage/heat efficient weapon that deals fully frontloaded damage. They're probably the hardest weapon to use in a light vs. light fight especially if you're at a speed disadvantage, but the heat efficiency and burst damage can beat any other light mech if you do manage to hit your shots consistently.

That said, IS SRM lights do kinda need something to help them against the massive damage difference to Clan SRM lights. The reduced spread is nice, but doesn't matter much when Clan mechs can fire twice as many missiles per salvo; you're just not going to see an Oxide or Javelin performing the same kind of ninja wizardry that you see in a Sneaky Snek video unless the target refuses to turn around after the first salvo.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:50 AM

moar velocity? again? do you think that will make you hit things better?

hell just put in a lead indicator at this point. why remove the fun of having a modicum of physics in the game?

also more velocity -> more rounding errors -> more wonky hit detection. thats just the way floating point works.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 February 2024 - 08:53 AM.

#17 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:57 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 February 2024 - 08:50 AM, said:

hell just put in a lead indicator at this point.

he might have better luck with, say, missiles that do the aiming for him. a few such options in Mech Warrior On Line!

#18 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:10 AM

I don't think they have what it takes to make it possible but using NARC converting all missiles into guided versions as long the NARC is online would change how people play.

As example a NARC makes an unguided LRM becoming guided. The SRM no different from the LRM. They're both missiles with the same capacity to travel.

I would as well make NARC only work when having direct line of sight. Meaning all missiles work as if they were streaks or ATM for the purpose of hitting the target.

LRM would have the exception that it will only work like a ATM if the mech has ECM.

The SRM is the fastest of all missiles and has the shortest travel. The bug is that for tonnage the missed shots costs higher.
Small pulse laser or medium pulse lasers weight less and the cost of missing the target is lower.

Many consider Missile weapons to be the ******* weapon by being bad in both categories on heat vs damage and tonnage.
They have a chance to hit multiple torsos in tabletop but in MWO lasers can hit the entire mech in one shot. As well being able to hit many times meant that the chance to hit increased. A laser would shoot once and miss. The SRM2 would miss and then hit the target for 1/2 damage. The streak SRM wouldn't fire the missiles at all if the shots won't hit the target.

The streaks are faulty in this way since they are instant hit missiles who won't allow the pilot to fire the missiles if they don't hit the target. You would still need to lock the missiles but the travel to the target wouldn't really be existing.

I think this would be the best solution if possible to change the NARC mechanic to make missiles into locking missiles when they target the mech when it has a Narc tag.

It is not that the SRM need to change. The missiles in general suck for not letting us having inferno missiles.

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,531 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:35 AM

Now to be fair to the OP, missiles being faster wouldn't be awful given SRMs/MRMs have been better shotgun weapons than LBX, with cylindrical spread instead of conical being icing on the cake (though there would have to be trade-offs given they are pretty potent in today's meta). They don't have tracking or really crazy flight paths that have justified being slow compared to other direct fire weapons and historically their slow velocity is why SRM lights have always been awful for anti-light (because they can get kited and velocity impacts your "effective" range in those kind of fights).

That said, knife fight range should be ez against lights. My favorite thing in a Scaleshot is encountering a light who doesn't know to kite or avoid me because I can destroy legs faster than they can.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 29 February 2024 - 10:38 AM.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:38 AM

if tag and narc werent lame but missiles were without them, then you might be able to make the case for skillful lerm use. frankly lerms use skills, they are just different skills (including but not limited to positioning, teamwork, and patience) ."no skill" lerm use is really just a narrative made by people who want you to play the game their way. but its easier to make the case for that if you have to walk them in manually with targeting equipment. living legends did this right.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 February 2024 - 10:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users