30 replies to this topic

#1 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:15 PM

I understand it probably makes PGI a ton of money. But this mech was a huge mistake. This mech literally makes buffing streaks and lock on mechanics back to their original states a huge need. Between few counters due to hit reg issues at the speeds these mechs move at and streaks being ECMd into non-existance along with issues gaining lock due to stupid lock on mechanics and again, the speed they run at, you are hoping and praying that lasers and ACs connect. Its doable, but not before they 3 shot your *** in less than 10 seconds. Either nerf the mech/omnipods or make streaks good again. **** the Scaleshot.

its not letting me post the picture, but a squad of 4 scaleshots 4v12ing a team. thats all you need

Edited by McMurl, 25 February 2024 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:32 PM

Four fast mechs working in tight coordination can farm most random teams at any tier. Where do you think all the lights are op stuff comes from? Scaleshot is no different that getting gangbanged by any mobile lance with some firepower.

#3 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:43 PM

4 mechs of any class working together can wreck a team. Also scatter shot works just like all the other srm bombers with a 300m range.Small list of OP srm bombers:

Comando
Oxide
Huggin when it was new
lct 3s
Jvn rls
Scatter shot
Centurian
cptl-a1
acw srmer
clan oxide
kit fox

#4 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:52 PM

I had a wolfpack of Jenner IICs and Scaleshots go after my Aksum in the initial stages of a Bog game. But honestly it wasn't that hard to put enough damage in them that they had to back off and gave the rest of my team enough time to respond. basically the fast SRM bombers are good mechs but are fairly fragile, so if you can aim and engage them early enough it's less of an issue

#5 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:15 PM

To be fair, the Scaleshot doesn't have ECM, so you could anti-light with streaks. Or you could just shoot them a bunch. Scaleshots are probably the best light SRM bomber in the game and probably shouldn't have existed in favor of just buffing the Jenner IIC, but its not near as bad as it was.

Careful about looking at its damage numbers as well, it farms damage, but that doesn't mean all of it is the most effective damage.

#6 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:15 PM

It's not the Scaleshot. I was doing almost as well in a Kitfox. I wasn't moving quite as fast, didn't have as many missiles, but I still racked up the points.
If you don't want your streaks ECM'd into oblivion, then don't use streaks! Take regular SRMs. You can carry more launchers and more ammo anyways and it doesn't require a lock to fire. Dumbfire FTW!

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:29 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 25 February 2024 - 09:15 PM, said:

It's not the Scaleshot. I was doing almost as well in a Kitfox. I wasn't moving quite as fast, didn't have as many missiles, but I still racked up the points.

The Kit Fox is a light mech but plays like a medium, the Viper is a medium mech that plays like a light mech. Comparing these two mechs is not really doing anyone any favors.

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 12:21 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 25 February 2024 - 09:15 PM, said:

Sure you can do some damage with kitfox and in some situations it is even be better but Scaleshots speed and JJ mobility combined with that firepower is next level **** that no other mech is able to do, on paper Jenner IIC can but in reality nope.

#9 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 February 2024 - 02:24 AM

So buff the jenner IIc. Posted Image

#10 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 04:58 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 26 February 2024 - 02:24 AM, said:

So buff the jenner IIc. Posted Image

Buff Jenners overall and many other lights also.
TBH Jenners would really really need scaleback in size so that awesome sized CT that can be shot from every direction wouldn't be massive issue.

#11 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:04 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 25 February 2024 - 06:43 PM, said:

....Small list of OP srm bombers:
Huggin when it was new

That was a longggggg time ago. Damn I had fun with that little bird chain firing two SRM4s into the face of a mech so fast it couldn't figure out what to do. Now it just doesn't carry its own weight.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:40 PM

i think what the op has done was channeled all their frustrations about the game into one mech. thats a mistake, there are other mechs that can kill you.

View Postpattonesque, on 25 February 2024 - 08:52 PM, said:

I had a wolfpack of Jenner IICs and Scaleshots go after my Aksum in the initial stages of a Bog game. But honestly it wasn't that hard to put enough damage in them that they had to back off and gave the rest of my team enough time to respond. basically the fast SRM bombers are good mechs but are fairly fragile, so if you can aim and engage them early enough it's less of an issue

lights disappear when you can land rounds. one way or the other. especially when you can do 16 damage 3 times a second. aksum is a beast.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2024 - 03:42 PM.

#13 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 10:10 PM

People are using streaks? Did they add a dumbfire during my hiatus?

#14 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:05 AM

Sweet Jesus stop it already and learn to play. The Scaleshot has been nerfed into oblivion, well passed anything that was necessary. If you take a lance of ANY 'Mech, with 4 people all playing the same build, with the same geometry, loadout and speed then OF COURSE you are going to roll over the 12 idiots on the other team. Think about it: All 4 of you will naturally move at the same speed, engage from the same range, and probably therefore fire at the same target at the same time. Scaleshot isn't OP, teamwork is, even if it arises by coincidence.

#15 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:55 AM

View PostMcMurl, on 25 February 2024 - 06:15 PM, said:

I understand it probably makes PGI a ton of money. But this mech was a huge mistake. This mech literally makes buffing streaks and lock on mechanics back to their original states a huge need. Between few counters due to hit reg issues at the speeds these mechs move at and streaks being ECMd into non-existance along with issues gaining lock due to stupid lock on mechanics and again, the speed they run at, you are hoping and praying that lasers and ACs connect. Its doable, but not before they 3 shot your *** in less than 10 seconds. Either nerf the mech/omnipods or make streaks good again. **** the Scaleshot.

its not letting me post the picture, but a squad of 4 scaleshots 4v12ing a team. thats all you need

Streaks aren't all they're cracked up to be. I find that regular streaks are far more effective for most situations. And any mech that can boat 6 SRMs is going to be pretty deadly, the Scaleshot is not 'special' in that regard. The Scaleshot is pretty fragile, and if you are aware of your surroundings, you should be able to handle them.

Teamwork is OP, as the saying goes. Any lance working together properly will outright murder an opposing team that lacks the same level of teamwork.

When CW was a thing, I was part of a clan who spent the first few weeks outright embarassing opponents by jumping the gates and slaughtering the opposing team with 12 light mechs (Firestarters with 8 sl or spl). Leg day all day. It stopped being super effective after about a week or so. Why? Because people changed their tactics to adjust to it. Other teams started doing the same thing. Eventually mass light mechs wasn't the go to tactic all the time, and other tactics took over. The same thing still works. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome is the very definition of insanity. Change up how you play the game instead of demanding to nerf teamwork.

Edited by Gasboy, 27 February 2024 - 09:56 AM.

#16 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:13 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 26 February 2024 - 06:04 AM, said:

That was a longggggg time ago. Damn I had fun with that little bird chain firing two SRM4s into the face of a mech so fast it couldn't figure out what to do. Now it just doesn't carry its own weight.

Huginn was great at that time and pretty op.
Today it wouldn't be op even in its former state because of the uptime it requires. However, luckily the cauldron in its eternal wisdom gave it MG quirks and JJ quirks - the heat reduction on missile quirk is also extremely useful on a mech which never overheats (good balancing job!!!) while keeping the quirks on the 2xSRM4 in the overall picture of the loadout below mediocre.

Too bad we won't see the mech re-installed in its former state.

View PostRickySpanish, on 27 February 2024 - 08:05 AM, said:

Sweet Jesus stop it already and learn to play. The Scaleshot has been nerfed into oblivion, well passed anything that was necessary. If you take a lance of ANY 'Mech, with 4 people all playing the same build, with the same geometry, loadout and speed then OF COURSE you are going to roll over the 12 idiots on the other team. Think about it: All 4 of you will naturally move at the same speed, engage from the same range, and probably therefore fire at the same target at the same time. Scaleshot isn't OP, teamwork is, even if it arises by coincidence.

I think it is perceived as OP because the light SRM bombers blow up easily compared to the Skillshot. The maneuverability is, if I am not mistaken (I haven't followed the patches), also better than e.g. of the Jenner IIC

Edited by Weeny Machine, 27 February 2024 - 11:16 AM.

#17 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:31 AM

oh, I dunno. Vipers are extremely maneuverable sure but they fall apart pretty easily with even a little bit of attention

#18 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:13 PM

The Scaleshot has been overly nerfed and while it's still a strong chassis it's not some end all be all. It still has to get within 350 meters to do anything and still possesses something akin to tissue paper for armor. If it gets in behind you, you're gonna have a bad day. But screaming to the heavens a SRM bomber is overpowered in the current meta is just silly.

#19 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 07:32 AM

So...Scaleshot is OHH PEE because it moves really fast and has scads of SRMs.

Did...did I miss something or have Arctic Wolves somehow not existed for years? Sure Arctic Wolves don't/can't jump, but they can also carry way heavier payloads. And if you feel like being cheeky, you can get the dumb thing going significantly faster than many light 'Mechs move while still having an actually really good dogfighting armament (massed SRM-2s are not 'efficient' in hardpoint-to-damage terms, but the cycle rate advantage is very real if you have enough hardpoints). I fail to see how Scaleshot does anything an Arctic Wolf or JIIC can't other than jump. Sure, Viper jumps are excellent, but the comp guys have detested jump capacity for years. Why's that changed?

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 07:40 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 27 February 2024 - 11:13 AM, said:

Huginn was great at that time and pretty op.
Today it wouldn't be op even in its former state because of the uptime it requires. However, luckily the cauldron in its eternal wisdom gave it MG quirks and JJ quirks - the heat reduction on missile quirk is also extremely useful on a mech which never overheats (good balancing job!!!) while keeping the quirks on the 2xSRM4 in the overall picture of the loadout below mediocre.

Too bad we won't see the mech re-installed in its former state.

I think it is perceived as OP because the light SRM bombers blow up easily compared to the Skillshot. The maneuverability is, if I am not mistaken (I haven't followed the patches), also better than e.g. of the Jenner IIC

Jenner IIC is actually more agile of those two, not much but is. It is also just CT with two legs.
If Jenner-IIC would get 3 tons of ammo for 1 ton it would be pretty damn nice but that kind of quirks are for legendaries only I guess...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users