69 replies to this topic

#61 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:52 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 March 2024 - 05:17 AM, said:

That's a question for the current developers. From the outside looking in, I would think everything is defined in tables. Blobs are mostly for handling of lots of data and input at once, so... rendering.

For example, our calculations of where the edge of an object that blocks your shot is handled by by bounding boxes in a blob after pulling the data from the 3D model. And we know how precise those are. Loves me them invisible walls!

id put physics in blobs too lots of n^2 stuff there. not fun to do in script. you can, lua is really fast. i think the only place its deficient is its memory usage. so loading bitmaps sucks for lack of int types (newer versions have those but i think everyone uses 5.1 for its stability). in my engine i have to do horrible things to strings to load low level data. table data structures are atrocious as well, you can use it in array mode and it will use less, but the second you add a named key i think you bloat the structure a lot.

figure the main reason for piss poor hit detection is that the terrain is too detailed and adding too many convex hulls can slow things down. so you just end up sticking them in a box and then all the gaps are solid. when you do octrees or some other bsp derivative, that lua table overhead really sucks, so thats in the blob.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 March 2024 - 05:29 PM.

#62 CronenbergWorld

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 08:02 AM

The beam lasers look like they will be nasty if mixed with other clan lasers. Two clan large pulse and beam laser on too maybe two. Stuffing enough heat sinks you should be nasty.

#63 LapisMaddog

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 09:13 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 04 March 2024 - 09:10 AM, said:

Increase the heat of the Large X-Pulse Laser?

Hmmm, other than on a few variants, I don't find it an overly useful weapon and I doubt it needs a global nerf.

But that's just me, I'm sure someone will look up my Jarl's stats and think I don't know what I'm talking about. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Its a very small heat nerf it won't change much and if you don't blanket nerf LXPL then you'll have to nerf almost every single IS mech with a duration quirk and you will need to negative quirk some mechs like the LXPL atlas if you removed its quirks it goes from 21.3 DPS to 19.2 DPS

Edited by LapisMaddog, 14 March 2024 - 09:14 AM.

#64 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 14 March 2024 - 11:28 AM

View PostCronenbergWorld, on 14 March 2024 - 08:02 AM, said:

The beam lasers look like they will be nasty if mixed with other clan lasers. Two clan large pulse and beam laser on too maybe two. Stuffing enough heat sinks you should be nasty.

Depends on heat management. Beam weapons are "Stare at them" weapons. So they'd pair well with light machine guns, both in terms of firing profile and heat. I'll be testing an Incubus to see if it can take the heat.

#65 CronenbergWorld

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 04:30 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 14 March 2024 - 11:28 AM, said:

Depends on heat management. Beam weapons are "Stare at them" weapons. So they'd pair well with light machine guns, both in terms of firing profile and heat. I'll be testing an Incubus to see if it can take the heat.

They are 5 DPS and work like flamers I have seen the video of them firing. They generate little heat at first till the bar fills up like a flamer. So if your busting on laser damage that 5 DPS will stack up nicely well till you run heat bar up.

#66 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:36 AM

View PostCronenbergWorld, on 16 March 2024 - 04:30 AM, said:

They are 5 DPS and work like flamers I have seen the video of them firing. They generate little heat at first till the bar fills up like a flamer. So if your busting on laser damage that 5 DPS will stack up nicely well till you run heat bar up.

DPS-style weapons like rotaries, X-pulse lasers, and now the beam lasers don't generally like pairing with burstier weapons. Burst weapons like everything else in MWO, where you do a bunch of damage then go on cooldown, massively outperform DPS weapons in the duration of their burst in exchange for lower overall DPS. Means DPS weapons need to leverage that "overall lower" part in order to come out ahead, which requires a different approach and playstyle. DPS weapons only become worth it when you can really grind home the 'PS' part. Utilizing them to add trailing damage to a front-loaded burst like typical laservomit means you have less heat bar left to fuel the Beam laser, and are also kinda sabotaging the strength of the front-loaded burst since you can't disengage to reduce incoming damage and cool down without losing your DPS and effectively nullifying the reason you took the DPS weapon in the first place.

DPS, burst/burn. One or the other. Not both.

#67 CronenbergWorld

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:22 AM

View Post1453 R, on 16 March 2024 - 07:36 AM, said:

DPS-style weapons like rotaries, X-pulse lasers, and now the beam lasers don't generally like pairing with burstier weapons. Burst weapons like everything else in MWO, where you do a bunch of damage then go on cooldown, massively outperform DPS weapons in the duration of their burst in exchange for lower overall DPS. Means DPS weapons need to leverage that "overall lower" part in order to come out ahead, which requires a different approach and playstyle. DPS weapons only become worth it when you can really grind home the 'PS' part. Utilizing them to add trailing damage to a front-loaded burst like typical laservomit means you have less heat bar left to fuel the Beam laser, and are also kinda sabotaging the strength of the front-loaded burst since you can't disengage to reduce incoming damage and cool down without losing your DPS and effectively nullifying the reason you took the DPS weapon in the first place.

DPS, burst/burn. One or the other. Not both.

Skip too 18:30 if people want to see how the beams will work

#68 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:24 AM

I know how beam lasers work. Heh, I did see the stats and demo. Jus' sayin' - stacking a beam laser on top of seventy percent of a heat bar's normal laservomit does neither the vomit nor the beam laser any favors.

#69 CronenbergWorld

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:34 AM

View Post1453 R, on 16 March 2024 - 09:24 AM, said:

I know how beam lasers work. Heh, I did see the stats and demo. Jus' sayin' - stacking a beam laser on top of seventy percent of a heat bar's normal laservomit does neither the vomit nor the beam laser any favors.

Fair enough we will have to wait and see how the new weapons work it will not be long before people find ways to make broken builds with the new equipment. Betting thunderbolts are going to lead to endless debates and some people are not going to like the beam laser mechanics.

#70 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:20 AM

View PostCronenbergWorld, on 16 March 2024 - 09:34 AM, said:

Betting thunderbolts are going to lead to endless debates

I'm expecting more of endless hand wringing. Thunderbolts will be slower than LRMs and possibly easier to counter with AMS, we'll see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users