48 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 04:24 AM

View PostDarkBazerker, on 23 March 2024 - 03:26 AM, said:

It was never put in for you to "chase" in the first place. The whole point of these things is to fill buckets.

Where have I said that I am chasing it?

If I were chasing it, I would not take 'Mechs such as this Jenner IIC.

Posted Image

I am perfectly comfortable when I feel that I contributed a small part to my team's victory.

Posted Image

That green arrow is just a confirmation that I did not play too badly.

Posted Image

I play to have some fun, so I take any 'Mech that I feel like taking.

Of course, I am working on my own abilities, as you advised me here:

View PostDarkBazerker, on 20 March 2024 - 04:39 AM, said:

You shouldn't be aiming for the green arrow on its own tho, you should be working on your own ablilitys.

Edited by martian, 23 March 2024 - 04:36 AM.

#42 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:48 PM

How many times am I going to have to explain basic math to some of you again?

Averaging is a function of sample sizing. That's how PSR works. They've never pretended otherwise. What this means is that functionally your PSR score is controlled by a combination of how many matches you've played, the few remaining variables they track to determine score, and then derived from an averaging of the two.

What this means is a player with a single game where inexplicably the entire enemy team, or even just a significant percentage of both teams doesn't actually do much can quite easily end up with a high or low match score, and in effect PSR rating in comparison to a user with many more games under their belt, who is going to have a much harder time adjusting their rating. This is one of the reasons why you see a lot of the streamers who genuinely care about this game creating new user names, with stock mechs, and trying to show how quickly or or slowly it can take to change tier status; as far as the direct mechanic utilized applies, newer users are at a marked advantage for obtaining seemingly high PSR ratings. Longer term users are at a marked disadvantage.

Unless there's some sort of magic arbitrary cut off point to when PSR becomes completely fossilized (meaning no data is adjusted by subsequent games) that's set in the first game, whiich many user accounts to this game never get past more then one game played), then as a simple mathematical function, players with more games played literally have a mathematical certaintity of watching their PSR rating decrease after a certain point. Especially when the devs start removing variables that were once considered from the equation, which by the way, they've been pretty open with us have been multiple times.

"Refreshing" by resetting scores every so often actually only makes this issue worse, since now you're just creating even more players at the shallow end of the sampling pool.

But I mean sure, PSR is always a reliable metric of a player's skill, even though the mathematics it's based on have been fundamentally modified several times, and shows a clear statistical bias favoring newer players towards the high end of the chart. Just because people who either don't understand or care how statistics are actually mathematically derived say so. And despite the questionable utility of some tracked metrics or sometimes straight up inability of some quite useful metrics to even *be* accurately tracked to begin with.

#43 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 01:41 AM

View Postambosen, on 23 March 2024 - 11:48 PM, said:

Averaging is a function of sample sizing. That's how PSR works. They've never pretended otherwise. What this means is that functionally your PSR score is controlled by a combination of how many matches you've played, the few remaining variables they track to determine score, and then derived from an averaging of the two.

What this means is a player with a single game where inexplicably the entire enemy team, or even just a significant percentage of both teams doesn't actually do much can quite easily end up with a high or low match score, and in effect PSR rating in comparison to a user with many more games under their belt, who is going to have a much harder time adjusting their rating. This is one of the reasons why you see a lot of the streamers who genuinely care about this game creating new user names, with stock mechs, and trying to show how quickly or or slowly it can take to change tier status; as far as the direct mechanic utilized applies, newer users are at a marked advantage for obtaining seemingly high PSR ratings. Longer term users are at a marked disadvantage.

Unless there's some sort of magic arbitrary cut off point to when PSR becomes completely fossilized (meaning no data is adjusted by subsequent games) that's set in the first game, whiich many user accounts to this game never get past more then one game played), then as a simple mathematical function, players with more games played literally have a mathematical certaintity of watching their PSR rating decrease after a certain point. Especially when the devs start removing variables that were once considered from the equation, which by the way, they've been pretty open with us have been multiple times.

"Refreshing" by resetting scores every so often actually only makes this issue worse, since now you're just creating even more players at the shallow end of the sampling pool.

But I mean sure, PSR is always a reliable metric of a player's skill, even though the mathematics it's based on have been fundamentally modified several times, and shows a clear statistical bias favoring newer players towards the high end of the chart. Just because people who either don't understand or care how statistics are actually mathematically derived say so. And despite the questionable utility of some tracked metrics or sometimes straight up inability of some quite useful metrics to even *be* accurately tracked to begin with.

Go on, explain your basic math to us.

It would be really interesting to see your mathematics demonstrating the clear statistical bias that proves how players with more games played literally have a mathematical certaintity of watching their PSR rating decrease after a certain point.

What is the simple truth behind the universe and everything?

Post your verifiable numbers, formulae or your tables!

P.S: Do not forget to post your sources.

Edited by martian, 24 March 2024 - 02:04 AM.

#44 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 March 2024 - 09:53 AM

Do you have a source for this?

As far as I've always understood it the formula for PSR change only cares about relative numbers within the specific match. Basically you go up if your MS is high enough relative to your teammates, and you go down if it isn't.

This claim especially seems dubious:

players with more games played literally have a mathematical certaintity of watching their PSR rating decrease after a certain point.

I and pretty much everyone I've played with in units are veterans from the early days of MWO with thousands of games played, and the standard experience is that after the reset to tier 3 with the new system there was a relatively quick journey back to maxed out tier 1 and then that's where it stays. I see no apparent evidence of PSR decreasing with many games played or of the number of games played affecting the PSR formula in a given match.

If your hypothesis is correct, then why are so many players stuck at maxed out tier 1 after thousands of games?

Edited by Sjorpha, 24 March 2024 - 09:54 AM.

#45 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 March 2024 - 01:25 PM

PSR means nothing!

I climbed up but fall back recently to T5... Do I care?
No!
Because I had and have fun! Why care tier and PSR instead of have fun?

@all the T1-2 players:
If we meet in some matches, don't be surprised! Just do not kill me first, please! Posted Image

#46 MarcinT1981

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 March 2024 - 03:26 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 24 March 2024 - 01:25 PM, said:

I climbed up but fall back recently to T5... Do I care?
No!
Because I had and have fun! Why care tier and PSR instead of have fun?

Better to be a ruler in hell than a servant in heaven?
Or....
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

#47 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Now that u mention it. I think I saw u in QP lately. Looks like the mm gates are open again.

#48 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

Let me start off by saying that I am genuinely interested in understanding your perspective/point more. I will admit that I do not quite understand what you are trying to say. Let me also say that I have match data for thousands of matches across several years, tiers, and accounts. If I understood what you are saying a bit more, maybe I could look into the data I have and see if I can find any supporting evidence.

The last part of the last sentence confuses me a bit. Could you clarify? A pilot's given PSR is a cumulative sum of all of the individual game PSR scorings. Each individual game PSR scoring comes from their match score relative to the pilot average for the match, and the pilot average for their team, with a bit of weighting.

When you say "adjusting their rating", you lose me. A pilot's PSR is a cumulative sum. How quickly one moves up through the tiers, on the aggregate, largely depends on one's skill (tempered by things like chassis/build) relative to the players in that tier. With our player population there really are only three "effective" tiers.

Once a pilot hits Tier 3, they get exposed to Tier 1. Due to seed-player dynamics and the three-tier-spread max, I believe that many Tier 2 players end up filling Tier 1 games. This would also mean those games (generally) do not see Tier 4 players. Tier 1 and Tier 2 are smaller tiers so my intuition is that Tier 1 and Tier 2 seeded games tend to pull each other in, plus Tier 3. It has been my experience (through several accounts) that the game changes dramatically once my account hits Tier 3.

Again, what do you mean by "PSR rating" here? Do you mean the orange bar in the UI that shows tier progress? This account has 1,311 games and is sitting in the bottom third of Tier 3. Another account I have has 2,304 games and is oscillating between Tier 3 and Tier 2. Another account I have reached Tier 3 in 156 games.

The more I re-read your post the more I wonder if you are getting into a tier above your skill level and then experiencing big losses and dropping down. The granularity of the tiers (especially with the "effective" tiers) can land people in a place where the game changes for them in the new tier and they get pushed back down into the prior tier only to rise back up again. This happens to me at the Tier 3/Tier 2 border.

The pilots that operate at higher tier levels will absolutely tear through the lower tiers (unless they are just faffing around or intentionally handicapping themselves or something). In many cases their outsized performance can skew the match score means/distribution such that players operating at that tier level will see bigger losses (or weaker gains) to their individual PSR scorings. That skew can also create really big gains for that higher tier player.

This paragraph feels like a general criticism of the PSR formula and match score. There are definitely some legitimate (in my opinion) complaints about match score and the PSR formula, however it really just attempts to measure and quantify a pilot's performance relative to everyone else in a match. It has flaws and edge cases; it is the system we have. Over time if that pilot tends to do better than average, they will move up in tiers until they do not, and then they will not.

Edited by dubstep albatross, 24 March 2024 - 08:04 PM.

#49 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:43 AM

View PostMarcinT1981, on 24 March 2024 - 03:26 PM, said:

Better to be a ruler in hell than a servant in heaven?
Or....
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Not sure which one? Usually I aim badly but ravage in my own tier...
What leads there:

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 24 March 2024 - 03:39 PM, said:

Now that u mention it. I think I saw u in QP lately. Looks like the mm gates are open again.

I like to drop against better players. I think I start my climb back up in your league :)
If my talons sharpened against the bests that would tell much more than a simple "tier with number" stuff.

MM gates are close. I know my secret tricks :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users