13 replies to this topic

#1 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:01 PM

Heavy Metal

This thing is so much fun. Highlanders get incredible jump capacity for assault 'Mechs now, and Heavy Metal gets five jets instead of three for even more Mad Hops. This thing can easily make it from the ground to the top of the Wall in HPG, with juice to spare. it's got enough jump capacity to actually take advantage of the quick cycle rate on its weapons and make repeated bunny-hoptart attacks, aided by the fact that HM has absolutely no reticle shake whatsoever. Point, click, and if you're a better shot than I am your weapons hit the mark. Not to mention that you get the option of Spidering to the Stars if you need to, the jet endurance on this thing is bonkers. I have grabbed over two hundred meters of altitude to shoot down over a piece of tall cover at someone who thought they were safe, watched them twist wildly trying to figure out how the hell they got shot, and still had a little bit of juice left to cushion the fall and only take minor damage to my feeties.

it's not all roses, a'course. 25 damage alpha is nothing to write hom about and kind of anemic on a 90-tonner these days, and the weapons are real wide and real low. I'm still figuring out the clearances I need to properly connect, and my apologies to the Cauldron-Born pilot whose arm I slammed a double-shot of LAC/5 into on HPG while figuring that out. And yeah, compies are gonna snark about the SRM launchers and the too-big engine and the relatively minimal ammo, but y'know what? I dun' care.

I've been thoroughly enjoying this sucker, and it's honestly been doing really well for me even only half-skilled. It gets donkeyed taking a straight ground fight against other assault 'Mechs in the close to close-medium range bracket, but frankly if I'm in that fight in the first place either I've Severely Forked Up or the team's collapsed and there's nothing for it anymore. Planning on investing in Anchor Turn and Torso Yaw to help scrape lights, because the arm mobility on this sucker is surprisingly good at landing PPFLD blasts on twiggies who step to me. And just the sheer JOMPS this chungus screwball has and its utter lack of reticle shake means I can do things with it that are straight-up not possible on any other 'Mech. At least, not for me.

Robit is currently half off, only ~3300MC. Highly recommend for anyone who doesn't have one but is intrigued by JOMPlanders, could even be worth burning your Lucky Charms Hero pick on. Even if you don't use the LAC/5+LPPC variations, the thing has enough hardpoints to do work despite its age, and if you can leverage its advantages it's a fantastic midrange pokebeast.

Edited by 1453 R, 23 March 2024 - 05:01 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 March 2024 - 10:01 AM

I have a Heavy Metal kitted out with 2xPPC, 1xLPPC, and 2xAC/5, I keep it for event queue when they have unlimited jump jet fuel turned on. Orbital gun platform!

But with the jump jet buff, I’ve swapped the AC/5’s out for LAC/5’s and upped it to 5 jump jets plus skills. Yeah, there’s no wall it can’t jump over.

#3 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:04 AM

It does well with 2HPPCs and a SBG or AC10. Still plenty jumpy and you can run either a Light or XL engine. Convergence is still an issue, but 40-45 alpha feels a lot better than 25. Also tried with 2 Snubs and MRMs with no right arm, but it doesn't seem as effective as the others.

Edited by Bud Crue, 24 March 2024 - 11:17 AM.

#4 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:25 AM

This thread was moved to Assault Mech Builds

#5 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 March 2024 - 06:15 PM

Went back and messed around a little with my Highlander HM, those jump quirks are indeed very nice!

However I still prefer my 733C because I can fit a UAC20 in one of the arms!

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 07:58 PM

heavy metal never dies.

#7 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:10 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 March 2024 - 07:58 PM, said:

heavy metal never dies.

Damn Straight Brother!

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:56 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 March 2024 - 07:58 PM, said:

heavy metal never dies.

I thought that was polka. Posted Image

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:18 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 March 2024 - 01:56 PM, said:

I thought that was polka. Posted Image

oh please the only people playing accordions now are in folk metal bands.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 March 2024 - 08:19 PM.

#10 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:59 AM

And in this vein, here's... ;)

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:47 AM

I didn't figure a Harry Dresden reference would fly. But the Heavy Metal certainly does!

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:25 PM

Oh yes. My Highlanders are still CT magnets, but their jump capabilities are better than my Catapult, which... is annoying, to be frank. But while the jump jet nerf that finally put the poptart meta in the ground was worth it, I'm really glad to have Highlanders feel like they're rising into the sky on wings of fire - rather than being winched into the air by a crane.

#13 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

yeah i do enjoy the Heavy Metal, bonus its own built in warhorn.

i have mine loaded as follows. its sort of test for how well the LAC/5s mesh with other weapons. only played a couple matches in it but it ran pretty well.

HGN-HM (1 MRM-40 (3t ammo), 2 LAC/5 (3t ammo), 3 MLs, 1 AMS (1t ammo) running an LE-300 with 6 DHS and 2 JJs)

build code

A51020Y1|i^|i^|LG|LG|Vgp11|i^|i^|i^q11|[@|f?|AOrl0|Y?|Y?|Y?|i^|GPsl0|e@|e@|i^|KPt51|GP|GPu51|KP|KPvB0w;0;0;0

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:18 PM

I've had limited success with mine, loaded out with an AC/10 and HPPCs, though I'm still experimenting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users