Limit Lrm Direct Fire Mode To Artemis Only Plz

19 replies to this topic

#1 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:45 PM

I don't want involuntarily launch missiles into dirt as soon as there's a pixel of enemy mech shows for millisecond.
Worst thing this direct fire mode can't be turned on or off like ECM or AMS. If coders cannot implement mode switch, just limit it to artemis.
LRM is already feeble weapon class that barely functions without spotting assist, there is no need to make people fight firemode on top of that.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 April 2024 - 04:58 AM

So… you WANT a missile that literally cannot shoot straight?

the switch between the two fire modes is pretty seamless if you have a good ping rate. The more you’re relying on host state rewind to present stuff to your local pc, the worse it gets… like the mech you’re targeting jittering all over the place while everyone else sees you doing the jittering.

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 11 April 2024 - 05:34 AM

C'mon man just stop.

#4 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 177 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 11 April 2024 - 05:57 AM

I think this can be good idea.

Make separate weapon that is same like normal LRM but can fire only indirect and another that can fire only direct.

It is sometimes bit annoying when half of your rockets decide to hit floor or ceiling, just because you or your target decide to move by milimeter. Posted Image

And because I understand we can not really create whole new system for rockets without creating whole new game, this could be solution to make these weapons less headache, because you will always know how they will move.

And if they become super strong then you can change numbers on one weapon instead of making whole weapon worse only because it is good in one situation. Posted Image

Edited by torsie, 11 April 2024 - 05:57 AM.

#5 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 11 April 2024 - 12:38 PM

Please NO. If you do not want to fire your LRMs directly and without lock then DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON. Believe it or not people do fire LRMs on direct without lock and without Artemis.

I simply want the ability to fire Streak SRMs directly and without a lock!

#6 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 01:38 PM

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give lurms a bad name (bad name)

I play my part and you play your game
Hey, you give lurms, a bad name

how about we skip idf completely, instead, and buff df-lurms?

yes, some are tired of hitting the dirt while lobbing their lurms from cover 24/7.
-many others are tired of people doing exactly that.

buff the brave df-lurmer. don't care for the rest.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 11 April 2024 - 01:39 PM.

#7 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

View PostCaptain Caveman DE, on 11 April 2024 - 01:38 PM, said:

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame

I play my part and you play your game
Hey, you give lurms, a bad name

how about we skip idf completely, instead, and buff df-lurms?

yes, some are tired of hitting the dirt while lobbing their lurms from cover 24/7.
-many others are tired of people doing exactly that.

buff the brave df-lurmer. don't care for the rest.

Good one!

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 05:51 PM

can we do flat arc when self-tagged? like completely flat. minimum travel time. more to make tag to suck less than to make missiles better.

fine with the different arc heights for idf and direct fire, this just gives a flat trajectory option.

#9 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:12 PM

I don't get all the hate from sensitive mehwarriors.
All i want is his weapon to be predictable and controlled. So im asking Cauldron to have mercy on us LRM guys and fix them
Old LRMs without this gimmick were fine even with all nerfs to velocity, flight arc, spread etc.
At least they weren't broken and didn't fire way you didn't want them too.

View PostKen Harkin, on 11 April 2024 - 12:38 PM, said:

Please NO. If you do not want to fire your LRMs directly and without lock then DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON. Believe it or not people do fire LRMs on direct without lock and without Artemis.
I simply want the ability to fire Streak SRMs directly and without a lock!

Just look at this guy. He tells us to not fire to solve problem.
Know what happens a lot of time? I got DIRECT LOS just like you guys like me to, fire at enemy that peaks over small roadbump hulldown and missiles hit dirt. I cannot even send them over obstacle if i wanted to. So i get shot, deal 0 dmg, radar derp makes followup shots impossible until they peak again where i need to wait for lockon time > repeat. Switching to any weapon without lockon would be more effective in that situation.

Also what streaks have to do with this? create ur own topic for streaks.

Edited by Vincefeld, 11 April 2024 - 08:23 PM.

#10 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:57 PM

As my nick implies I mostly pilot lurm boats.
I simply have no idea why yours are flying into the dirt.
What you might try is getting to a minimum of 450m to fire at a target.
Unless they're in the open with no cover readily available for protection.
In a defilade position get your lock and aim and fire over the hill.
A fine nuance to lurming also depends on the height of mech also.
Approximate to the size of hill your trying to fire over.
Meaning a taller mech as a easier time fire over a hillside in a defilade position.
Also simply understanding the differences between IS vs. Clan missiles
IE firing arcs.
I sincerely hopes this help.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:54 AM

^ also jump jets. especially on medium missile lobbers. i like to pop and hover (i can tap out a controlled hover thanks to my extensive ksp experience).

View PostVincefeld, on 11 April 2024 - 08:12 PM, said:

well since they implemented a one size fits all lock mechanic, its relevant. since they use the same float curve for lock time vs range, you could bring it in to have instant lock under 90m, which is inside min range for longer range missiles yet highly relevant to streak users.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 April 2024 - 04:57 AM.

#12 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:46 AM

Know what happens a lot of time? I got DIRECT LOS just like you guys like me to, fire at enemy that peaks over small roadbump hulldown and missiles hit dirt. I cannot even send them over obstacle if i wanted to. So i get shot, deal 0 dmg, radar derp makes followup shots impossible until they peak again where i need to wait for lockon time > repeat. Switching to any weapon without lockon would be more effective in that situation.

You are complaining that a slow moving saturation weapon fired in direct fire is having a problem hitting a target using cover... Perhaps having more than one weapon for the various situation would make more sense and if you cannot do that then do not get in a fight trading shots where you are at a disadvantage.

If you want a direct fire saturation missile with NO lock on then get MRMs.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:18 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 12 April 2024 - 08:46 AM, said:

You are complaining that a slow moving saturation weapon fired in direct fire is having a problem hitting a target using cover... Perhaps having more than one weapon for the various situation would make more sense and if you cannot do that then do not get in a fight trading shots where you are at a disadvantage.

If you want a direct fire saturation missile with NO lock on then get MRMs.

LRMs backed with a credible laser armament that can deal damage at 400m works well too. Drill with lasers, this locks up the target, then fill with missiles if they haven't ducked back into cover yet.

And PPC/LRM combo also does a great job of busting ECM as well as insta-locking the target for direct fire missiles.

https://mwo.nav-alph...=2d4768ea_ON1-K

#14 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:49 PM

View PostVincefeld, on 10 April 2024 - 07:45 PM, said:

I don't want involuntarily launch missiles into dirt as soon as there's a pixel of enemy mech shows for millisecond.
Worst thing this direct fire mode can't be turned on or off like ECM or AMS. If coders cannot implement mode switch, just limit it to artemis.
LRM is already feeble weapon class that barely functions without spotting assist, there is no need to make people fight firemode on top of that.

xD xD xD xD xD xD

#15 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 259 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:21 PM

Get line of sight, and your own locks.

#16 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:55 AM

I don't get all the hate from sensitive mehwarriors.

You do know you can force the LRMs to arc by locking on and the tilting your torso back, firing, then quickly tilting forward to maintain lock, right?

And streak SRMs have commonality with LRMs as lock-on weapons, so it's fair to include them here.

#17 Sarrol

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

No.

#18 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:45 AM

If there was some kind of toggle to force either direct (low arc) or indirect (high arc) LRM firing that was quick and simple enough to be switched during battle, that would actually be great.

We have all had the experience of wanting a high arc only or a low arc only at different times during play, and the current auto-detect system isn't so great at knowing which is best.

But such a thing would have to be user-controlled at will, definitely not just indirect fire only, ever.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 16 April 2024 - 09:46 AM.

#19 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:23 PM

View PostVincefeld, on 10 April 2024 - 07:45 PM, said:

I don't want involuntarily launch missiles into dirt as soon as there's a pixel of enemy mech shows  for millisecond.
^^^ all of this, +1dual arc is broken, much better to know reliably what the arc will be, so you can position properly, lets face it, line of sight computations in this game are broken.

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 16 April 2024 - 09:45 AM, said:

If there was some kind of toggle to force either direct (low arc) or indirect (high arc) LRM firing that was quick and simple enough to be switched during battle, that would actually be great.

We have all had the experience of wanting a high arc only or a low arc only at different times during play, and the current auto-detect system isn't so great at knowing which is best.

But such a thing would have to be user-controlled at will, definitely not just indirect fire only, ever.

Right now the arc randomly switches back and forth. We all know LOS is broken, it is forbidden to talk about how that effects cheaters. Posted Image

#20 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:24 PM

View PostSarrol, on 16 April 2024 - 09:38 AM, said:

No.

All i see is blind LRM butthurt like this and half of the posts aren't even constructive.
Guess those players just happy that LRM users get shafted by broken LoS and unreliable fire mode you have to fight against.
As long as they get to do good in game, nobody else matters, right?

Note that my post didn't even ask for any LRM buffs or anything, only fixing broken mechanic. I think they are fine even after numerous nerfs and don't affect skilled players anymore due to low arc and slow velocity. Can use them to farm events in T5 matches, and do average ~500 damage in T1-2 games but that's it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users