How Many Players ?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Stavus

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:49 PM

just curious as to what the playerbase is looking like these days

it really seems like every match is just ridiculously one sided (both ways thankfully) but every match for the past week or two has been ending as like 10-2 12-1 9-4 stuff like that

gone seems to be the fighting to the bitter end 11-12 clutch games

is this perhaps a symptom of an ever dwindling playerbase ? where theres literally not enough "good" (subjective i know !) players remaining to make a decent game ?

ive really enjoyed this game even though i came to it late in its life

am i crazy ?

for reference sake ... i havnt been around forever but i do ok ...
PB is 910 match score
tier 2 (was 1 but dropped from playing with some friends too mcuh and screwing around with crap mechs lol)

Edited by Stavus, 15 April 2024 - 10:51 PM.

#2 MarcinT1981

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:04 PM

Scroll to the bottom https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

#3 Stavus

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:11 PM

View PostMarcinT1981, on 15 April 2024 - 11:04 PM, said:

Scroll to the bottom https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

unless they add "last logged in" i wouldnt count it as an answer

countless of those players have little to no actual played stats likely logged in to check out new patch and wandered away again (1500+ have 30 or less games)

Edited by Stavus, 15 April 2024 - 11:17 PM.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:21 PM

View PostStavus, on 15 April 2024 - 11:11 PM, said:

countless of those players have little to no actual played stats likely logged in to check out new patch and wandered away again (1500+ have 30 or less games)
Try this link: MWO Player Stats: Global Stats and this link MWO Steam players.

#5 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:01 AM

View PostStavus, on 15 April 2024 - 11:11 PM, said:

Jarl's counts only 'active' players, those who haven't played for a bit aren't listed.

There are about 30k active players and 300k 'retired' players.

Steam shows about 1000 active players on any give day, lower on weekdays, higher on weekends. The stand alone MWO portal probably has 3 to 4 times that.

Edited by Gasboy, 16 April 2024 - 06:03 AM.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:30 AM

View PostGasboy, on 16 April 2024 - 06:01 AM, said:

Jarl's counts only 'active' players, those who haven't played for a bit aren't listed.

Last season there is only ~16k players in Jarls, players that have played at least that 10? games.

#7 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:33 AM

View PostCurccu, on 16 April 2024 - 06:30 AM, said:

Last season there is only ~16k players in Jarls, players that have played at least that 10? games.

I'm going off the blurb at the bottom.

#8 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:38 PM

Steam shows about 1000 active players on any give day, lower on weekdays, higher on weekends. The stand alone MWO portal probably has 3 to 4 times that.

Some people have only ever had one account, some people run multiple accounts.

Daily rolling average is a good indicator of player base.

Edited by kalashnikity, 18 April 2024 - 10:15 PM.

#9 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:59 PM

View Postmartian, on 15 April 2024 - 11:21 PM, said:

Try this link: MWO Player Stats: Global Stats and this link MWO Steam players.

I hate how people use Jarl's list, it really means nothing without associating it with Tier performance.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:31 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 16 April 2024 - 01:59 PM, said:

I hate how people use Jarl's list, it really means nothing without associating it with Tier performance.
People are discussing the number of MWO players, so I posted those links that show it.

You are the only poster in this thread who has started talking about Tiers and performance.

Edited by martian, 16 April 2024 - 08:39 PM.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:20 PM

Not sure how accurate this is today, but Russ once said Steam was about half, so double the number is more likely.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:02 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 17 April 2024 - 03:20 PM, said:

Not sure how accurate this is today, but Russ once said Steam was about half, so double the number is more likely.
Yeah, but he said that years ago. Hard to guess if it is still true.

#13 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 07:19 AM

View Postmartian, on 19 April 2024 - 10:02 PM, said:

Yeah, but he said that years ago. Hard to guess if it is still true.

No good way to get accurate numbers until PGI posts them, sadly.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:28 AM

View PostGasboy, on 20 April 2024 - 07:19 AM, said:

No good way to get accurate numbers until PGI posts them, sadly.
The fact of some players having multiple accounts complicates the things further.

#15 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2024 - 11:53 AM

yeah sadly the player base continues to dwindle. as much as i enjoy MWO its barely holding on. oddly enough COVID breathed a bit of life back into it for a bit but we are back to the shrinking numbers. honestly for the type of game it is (an arena shooter, if a less twitchy one) the fact that it is still alive after all this time is amazing, even more so considering its a rather niche title. its even more amazing that we have the players we do considering there hasn't been a peep of advertising for it in a very, very long time. MW:5 (and perhaps the upcoming Clans) have brought in some but that hasn't gotten a lot of advertising either. games like MWO need a constant inflow of new players to keep it alive and sadly we just don't have that.

without some kind of advertising the numbers will continue to dwindle until they finally just shut down the servers. hell if not for the whales out there (nothing against these folks as their investment keeps things going) that continue to buy PGI's way over priced mech packs they would have shut them down a long time ago.

#16 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

The entire meta is not about what is a good game but what is the game with the biggest marketing campaign.

For certain they have made a lot of updates who no other company would be doing.

But the thing remain does it matter if the game is old if nobody can remember it even existing.

It sound to me like a window. Just pretend that the game never existed and release it again with photo realistic textures. That is pretty much what everything is about. No graphics just high quality textures. The recently video I saw was photo realistic textures on bad games who focus on physics but never managed to make the physics to work out but since the marketing budget was so big people think it was their money used in the marketing campaign and a religion is created around imaginary spending that becomes a cult of people who can not let go of the videogame since they think it was their money used in the marketing campaign. It's like the circus come to town and everyone thinking they have paid the ticket.

It doesn't matter what EA or Nintendo releases. All that matter is that people thinking a lot of cash was spent on the videogame when AAA doesn't mean anything. Just make a loan and never use the money. Give the cash back to the bank and claim the game as AAA title how stupid aren't people to think companies whose practice is to spend everything that's not bolted even would survive when the reality is the opposite that the biggest shareholders are securing the survival of the company and in practice without these institutes a videogame company is living on making one game after the other in what becomes a pyramid scheme that the previous success has to pump the next release and the next release. Without these institutes the margins for a videogame company is close to zero.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users