The Way Damage Done Is Calculated Is Bad

7 replies to this topic

#1 Seraph Basarab

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 08:08 PM

The way damage done is calculated is suboptimal and punishes good game play while encouraging bad gameplay. I'll explain how and provide a way to modify it to better represent good game play.

Right now whatever damage you do to an enemy mech translates into damage done. Makes sense right? I do 30 damage points to you, it should show I do 30 damage to you. Pretty straight forward...except that it doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what's actually going on.

Imagine two scenarios. In the first we have a Hunchback with an AC20. It lands 5 hits on an enemy CT's mech, does 100 damage, kills the mech.

In the second scenario you have the same mech but he lands his AC20 is all over the enemy mech. Takes him 10 shots to do it, and does 200. Doesn't kill the enemy mech though.

The stats are going to show the 2nd pilot doing twice as much damage as the first even though the first pilot was actually more accurate. That's how it currently seems to be working.

Instead each mech should have a pool of "hit points." And whatever hit points the enemy mech has at the time that you land the killing blow, you get all the remaining points. So if you run up against an enemy mech that has a total of 300 armor/internal hit points and you land a headshot for 10 damage, you get the full 300 points because you killed it and took all that armor off the field. If the enemy mech only has 100 points of armor and then you land the killing blow you'd only get 100 and so on.

This would more accurately show actual damage done in terms of taking armor points off the field in engagements and reward accurate shooting from things like AC20s and gauss over just RAC/LRM damage splash type weapons.

#2 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 23 May 2024 - 08:30 AM

on a similar note I think at least from what i've seen you should get more points for the killing blow. Somebody once said that i only actually got one kill becuase of a KMDD but i had lik 4 killing blows, reguardless of who did the damage to open up the one with the killing blow is the one that took them off the field.

I tend to get lower damage and high kills ,becuase unlike everyone else i'm not damage farming i'm aiming for critical locations or open internals.

Edited by KursedVixen, 23 May 2024 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Seraph Basarab

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:37 PM

Yeah you should get rewarded for accurate shooting...instead of rewarding damage farmers spraying lrms, racs, beams etc all over every panel.

#4 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:01 PM

this is actually a pretty good idea, It always bothers me that I very skillfully sneak a lightmech behind an unsuspected enemy and blast its back with a very precise volley just to get a dozen point out of the kill.

#5 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:47 PM

You aren't wrong that it'd be nice to reward accuracy properly, but I think 'award all remaining HP as damage to the killing blow' is a poor way to do it; a cherry-tap with a MG to an Atlas with 1HP left on the CT gets 1k damage done right there. That's not reasonable.

#6 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 24 June 2024 - 03:15 AM

View PostSeraph Basarab, on 24 May 2024 - 08:37 PM, said:

Yeah you should get rewarded for accurate shooting...instead of rewarding damage farmers spraying lrms, racs, beams etc all over every panel.
Yeah actually i'm seeing more and more from spectator people farming or just shooting at not open components maybe reward the person who did the killing blow points based on the weight class of the kill would be good, so like for a random example

100 points for a light 250 for a medium 400 for a heavy and 500 for an assault.

Or maybe a reward based on the cost of the weapons on the target that was killed, with something to even out clan vs IS components so say an Ac-20 is the same point cost as a C-Ultra20 or C-ac20

additionally maybe something like the cost of weapons could apply to the component destroyed reward but at a lesser degree to the killing blow to prevent farming.

Edited by KursedVixen, 24 June 2024 - 03:52 AM.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,954 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:16 AM

There's already a system for this - component destruction rewards. All you'd need to do is adjust that reward, and put total destroyed components on the scoreboard at end of match.

PS: Whoever told you that only your KMDD "counted" is not someone to trust in game theorycrafting - knowing that you did the most damage is a nice bonus, but the vast majority of the time, it's taking the enemy 'mech off the field that counts. Who cares if someone else did 1 point more damage? That's a farming award...

#8 NeoRocket

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 July 2024 - 06:37 PM

View PostSeraph Basarab, on 22 May 2024 - 08:08 PM, said:

The way damage done is calculated is suboptimal and punishes good game play while encouraging bad gameplay. I'll explain how and provide a way to modify it to better represent good game play.

Right now whatever damage you do to an enemy mech translates into damage done. Makes sense right? I do 30 damage points to you, it should show I do 30 damage to you. Pretty straight forward...except that it doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what's actually going on.

Imagine two scenarios. In the first we have a Hunchback with an AC20. It lands 5 hits on an enemy CT's mech, does 100 damage, kills the mech.

In the second scenario you have the same mech but he lands his AC20 is all over the enemy mech. Takes him 10 shots to do it, and does 200. Doesn't kill the enemy mech though.

The stats are going to show the 2nd pilot doing twice as much damage as the first even though the first pilot was actually more accurate. That's how it currently seems to be working.

Instead each mech should have a pool of "hit points." And whatever hit points the enemy mech has at the time that you land the killing blow, you get all the remaining points. So if you run up against an enemy mech that has a total of 300 armor/internal hit points and you land a headshot for 10 damage, you get the full 300 points because you killed it and took all that armor off the field. If the enemy mech only has 100 points of armor and then you land the killing blow you'd only get 100 and so on.

This would more accurately show actual damage done in terms of taking armor points off the field in engagements and reward accurate shooting from things like AC20s and gauss over just RAC/LRM damage splash type weapons.

Yeahhh no. This ain't D&D you don't run up to the dragon after the Paladin has been working it over for rounds and round and notch an arrow with your Elf and boiiiing. Grab all the experience points and the kill for a paper cut or tap.

The damage and all that is ok. What I WOULD liek to see is more points added for good support work. Keepin an enemy locked so the missles rain. Keepin ecm down or all the various ways many mechs contribute toi the success of the team that aren't adequately rewarded now.

Yes accuracy counts in some weapons. But this game has many tactics and stategiuies. Want a simple point and shoot that depends solely on accuracy of a few weapons? I think you're looking for CoD. It is over there with all the kiddies that can't handle the complexities of many different weapons systems and application of attacking with and defending against all the various said systems, in real time.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users