Mech Should Deal Damage When Destroyed

30 replies to this topic

#1 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 June 2024 - 04:28 PM

Splash damaged in a general immediate vicinity, and also rise the temperature of any mech in said immediate vicinity. Damage should vary within a certain percentage, but be relative to mech's tonnage.

Why? Because there is to much mech hugging! It isn't a boxing match! And there is no melee, so there isn't enough incentive to get pilots to keep their distance.

Edited by simon1812, 07 June 2024 - 04:32 PM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 12:31 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 07 June 2024 - 04:28 PM, said:

Splash damaged in a general immediate vicinity, and also rise the temperature of any mech in said immediate vicinity. Damage should vary within a certain percentage, but be relative to mech's tonnage.

Why? Because there is to much mech hugging! It isn't a boxing match! And there is no melee, so there isn't enough incentive to get pilots to keep their distance.
Do you realize that there are many weapons in MWO that literally require players to move very close to enemy 'Mech?

For example small lasers, small pulse lasers, ER small lasers, machine guns, ER micro lasers, micro pulse lasers, flamethrowers, etc.?

#3 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 02:34 AM

View PostA Werewolf, on 08 June 2024 - 01:48 AM, said:

of all of those only the flamer has extremly short range of 90, which still does not require literal face hugging at 0-1m...
In the actual game you can not always keep the exact distance.

And of course, there is no reason to punish players using short range weapons.

#4 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 08 June 2024 - 02:43 AM

Destroyed engine should explode your generator, IS XL 20 ton bombs! Posted Image

And ammo explosions throw your unexploded ammo around and deal damage. Posted Image

#5 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 947 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 08 June 2024 - 06:38 AM

Fusion engines not explode, sorry...
That's were a built-up by some authors whom loved big explosions (post-war trauma?) or misinterpretation in earlier games (MW4, I looking at you...)...
So, no, no valid reason for engine explosion. But larger mechs could really stomp smaller ankle-biters. Do not tell me if I dash with a DWF (OK, no dash, grandpa run faster than that big whale) I cannot stomp down a 20 tons Fa***... No, 20 tons Flea! Some physics should be re-introduced the game despite the sad (or said so) experiences of the past.

Ammo explosion on the other hand could and should hurt others in a small area. Except CASE what channels and drives the explosion's energy safely away. Otherwise it would be like TT where an unlucky ammo explosion could kill a mech near instantly (even if that were caused by a lucky shot on a near untouched mech)...

As for Flamers... I hate them. But they should have an option to explode if critted and burn the mech carry them to the f**kin... Sorry, holy ground... And let our mechs crouch\squat! Those big, metal fellas has knees dammit...
Or if so many loves flamers so much... Introduce them the Hermes. Let everyone happy untill the first patch follows up...

#6 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 08:27 AM

View Postmartian, on 08 June 2024 - 12:31 AM, said:

Do you realize that there are many weapons in MWO that literally require players to move very close to enemy 'Mech?

For example small lasers, small pulse lasers, ER small lasers, machine guns, ER micro lasers, micro pulse lasers, flamethrowers, etc.?

Do you realize a flea can run towards a stalker a shoot its crotch to death, and the is nothing the stalker can do about it?

Also, being next to a mech is being as close as 10m, flamers have 90m, machinegun has 150m effective range, you vam google or go and get a metric tape.

There is no reason to be so close to a mech, other than to use melee, which of course is not a thing in MWO, or to exploit the game's lackluster mechanics.

Edited by simon1812, 08 June 2024 - 08:31 AM.

#7 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 08:37 AM

View Postmartian, on 08 June 2024 - 02:34 AM, said:

In the actual game you can not always keep the exact distance.

And of course, there is no reason to punish players using short range weapons.

You should be punished for being reckless yes, and for exploiting game's limited mechanics. The scenario I described in my previous post shouldn't be possible, if there was melee the story could be different, but that's not the case.

Edited by simon1812, 08 June 2024 - 08:39 AM.

#8 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 08:45 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 08 June 2024 - 06:38 AM, said:

That's were a built-up by some authors whom loved big explosions (post-war trauma?) or misinterpretation in earlier games (MW4, I looking at you...)...
So, no, no valid reason for engine explosion. But larger mechs could really stomp smaller ankle-biters. Do not tell me if I dash with a DWF (OK, no dash, grandpa run faster than that big whale) I cannot stomp down a 20 tons Fa***... No, 20 tons Flea! Some physics should be re-introduced the game despite the sad (or said so) experiences of the past.

Ammo explosion on the other hand could and should hurt others in a small area. Except CASE what channels and drives the explosion's energy safely away. Otherwise it would be like TT where an unlucky ammo explosion could kill a mech near instantly (even if that were caused by a lucky shot on a near untouched mech)...

As for Flamers... I hate them. But they should have an option to explode if critted and burn the mech carry them to the f**kin... Sorry, holy ground... And let our mechs crouch\squat! Those big, metal fellas has knees dammit...
Or if so many loves flamers so much... Introduce them the Hermes. Let everyone happy untill the first patch follows up...

I actually like this better, good compromise, wish PGI pays attention.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 08:56 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 08 June 2024 - 08:27 AM, said:

Do you realize a flea can run towards a stalker a shoot its crotch to death, and the is nothing the stalker can do about it?

Also, being next to a mech is being as close as 10m, flamers have 90m, machinegun has 150m effective range, you vam google or go and get a metric tape.

There is no reason to be so close to a mech, other than to use melee, which of course is not a thing in MWO, or to exploit the game's lackluster mechanics.
Your Stalker carries a massive amount of firepower that you can use before that Flea even closes to your 'Mech.

View Postsimon1812, on 08 June 2024 - 08:37 AM, said:

You should be punished for being reckless yes, and for exploiting game's limited mechanics. The scenario I described in my previous post shouldn't be possible, if there was melee the story could be different, but that's not the case.
Your idea that light 'Mechs should be punished for closing to your 'Mech, so you have easier time hitting them, amuses me.

The fact that you call it "exploit" amuses me even more.

Thank you.

#10 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 12:28 PM

View Postmartian, on 08 June 2024 - 08:56 AM, said:

Your Stalker carries a massive amount of firepower that you can use before that Flea even closes to your 'Mech.

Your idea that light 'Mechs should be punished for closing to your 'Mech, so you have easier time hitting them, amuses me.

The fact that you call it "exploit" amuses me even more.

Thank you.

...ah sure whatever dude.

#11 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 12:38 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 08 June 2024 - 06:38 AM, said:

Guilty, MW4 Mercenaries is my all-time favorite (now better with Data's Campaign Overhaul) and even though it isn't perfect, I find more enjoyable than MWO and MW5M..dont have a lot of hope for MW5Clans...PGI is cordially invited to change my mind though.

Edited by simon1812, 08 June 2024 - 12:39 PM.

#12 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 08 June 2024 - 12:51 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 08 June 2024 - 12:28 PM, said:

...ah sure whatever dude.
pretty sure like the riflemanIIC you can barley see a light like a locust or a flea facehugging you.

View Postmartian, on 08 June 2024 - 08:56 AM, said:

I think you forget how bad hit registry is in this game and lag and the fact that it's very hard to hit a light that's zig zagging or moving horitzontal to you as oppose to running at you straight on, which most lights will never do.

#13 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 June 2024 - 07:59 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 08 June 2024 - 12:51 PM, said:

pretty sure like the riflemanIIC you can barley see a light like a locust or a flea facehugging you.

It is an issue with many mechs but the stalker 7D is the mech in which I have experienced this at it's worst.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,785 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 09 June 2024 - 07:02 PM

There are better way to fix hugging. Like many who have suggested this before, this is a band-aid to a much larger problem (high contrast in mechs sizes allowing for this scenario in the first place). Collision and melee are misguided attempts to try and correct that and would all likely fail or create separate unintended consequences in the game.

#15 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 June 2024 - 02:40 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 09 June 2024 - 07:02 PM, said:

There are better way to fix hugging. Like many who have suggested this before, this is a band-aid to a much larger problem (high contrast in mechs sizes allowing for this scenario in the first place). Collision and melee are misguided attempts to try and correct that and would all likely fail or create separate unintended consequences in the game.

Yes on all accounts, it is a given though, anything PGI does to change the game will result in unintended effects for better or for worst, but it would be an step forwards from what it is now.

#16 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,785 posts

Posted 10 June 2024 - 04:02 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 10 June 2024 - 02:40 PM, said:

Yes on all accounts, it is a given though, anything PGI does to change the game will result in unintended effects for better or for worst, but it would be an step forwards from what it is now.

Changes aren't inherently good (nor are they bad but not the point here). Changes that have bad unintended effects for the worse can make changes bad changes. A change moving things forwards typically requires it be worth more than the unintended effects and I don't honestly think this moves the needle in either way.

Regardless, their is no more engineering in this game. If it isn't something that can be tweaked with easy XML edits, then it's just not gonna happen in this game. So while yes, collision may exist in this game, that doesn't mean it is easily tweaked by changing a few values and it's good. That's also ignoring the fact that collision in this game has traditionally been absolute jank, so yeah, safe to say even if this were a good idea, it's simply not gonna happen.

If we want to talk hypotheticals of what to do with a new multiplayer MW game fine, but why apply bandaids if you are developing a brand new game.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 10 June 2024 - 04:04 PM.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 08:19 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 08 June 2024 - 12:51 PM, said:

I think you forget how bad hit registry is in this game and lag and the fact that it's very hard to hit a light that's zig zagging or moving horitzontal to you as oppose to running at you straight on, which most lights will never do.
Skilled players can hit light 'Mechs quite well.

#18 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 03:49 PM

View Postmartian, on 11 June 2024 - 08:19 AM, said:

Skilled players can hit light 'Mechs quite well.

An skilled player in a light mech can avoid being hit by an assault quite well...you didn't expect that one didn't you? But all he hads to do is break the distance and take advantage of the assault' blind spots, and the chaos of the combat around helps, you must have seen this many times, for how long have you been playing this game? A month? The assault can't eve retreat, too slow and a mech such as tha flea can stand at the assault 's feet and block its path (hell if there were elemental armors in this game I think them would be able to block an atlas' path) the player in the assault mech probably will think it got stuck with a rock before realizing what's going, unless it's team mates are paying attention and help him.

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,785 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 04:32 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 12 June 2024 - 03:49 PM, said:

But all he hads to do is break the distance and take advantage of the assault' blind spots, and the chaos of the combat around helps, you must have seen this many times, for how long have you been playing this game?

In tier 1, lights are not as strong as you seem to think they are. If they were strong, don't you think you'd see more of them? Yet they have been historically the most underplayed class and that is still true.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 07:49 PM

An skilled player in a light mech can avoid being hit by an assault quite well...you didn't expect that one didn't you? But all he hads to do is break the distance and take advantage of the assault' blind spots, and the chaos of the combat around helps, you must have seen this many times, for how long have you been playing this game? A month?
Work on your situational awareness. The next time such light 'Mech peeks out, punish him with your large ranged weapons.

The assault can't eve retreat, too slow and a mech such as tha flea can stand at the assault 's feet and block its path (hell if there were elemental armors in this game I think them would be able to block an atlas' path) the player in the assault mech probably will think it got stuck with a rock before realizing what's going, unless it's team mates are paying attention and help him.
This is the Locust standing in front of the Stalker:

Posted Image

Do not wander in your assault 'Mech around the map alone, unless you know what you are doing.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users