44 replies to this topic

#21 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 08:43 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 30 June 2024 - 06:01 PM, said:

that doesn't sort out smurf accoutns while they probably won stick in tier 5,4 for long they will be there long enough to wreck the tier.

Not really, no. They will win a few games and then be headed to T1. They would have to intentionally play poorly to stay in tier 5. Not much point in smurfing to do that.

#22 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2024 - 10:35 AM

View Postchaosshade2638, on 26 June 2024 - 03:13 PM, said:

I've been playing for... idk, years at this point. I think joined when the Sun Spider was the latest mech pack. Back when the old PSR system was in place, I made it to Tier 2 and was a decidedly solid pilot (at least I thought I was). When the new PSR system was in place, my PSR plummeted to Tier 5 and I've hovered around high T5, low T4 ever since. The game felt less difficult in T2, the matches felt more consistent.

Now, my piloting is WILDLY inconsistent, some matches I'll score well even if the team gets rolled, other times I'm one of the first dead... and honestly it feels like it's more often the latter. I was wondering if anyone had tips to help with consistently other than "gitgud"

-Big thing in this game is balancing aggression, you have to know when to be aggressive and when not to be. Try to pay attention to what your team is doing so you know when you can move up or shoot without being the only one and thus get focused.
-You also need to know angles, know how far you can move from your team mates while still being able to easily assist each other, also know how to peak at an angle that isn't just perfectly lined up with your enemy and thus easy for them to hit (this is especially true for lighter mechs, you want to avoid moving straight back and forth if the enemy is directly in front of you).
-Pay attention to enemy loadouts, don't assume taking a trade of shots is good just because you are hitting CT. You need to account for ranges, alpha vs dps, and armor differences. Don't try to stare an assault down just because hes a little out of optimal and your medium is in optimal. But also don't try to to stare down a medium thats in optimal if your assault is just under max range.
-Builds make a big difference, try just running some known good builds for a while. Check grimmechs or videos. Also probably try to stick to some more simple builds for a while, like builds you can mostly use with just 2 weapon groups. Try all one weapon or things that sync well like lpl/erml instead of kitchen sync builds with big differences in range and velocity.
- Speaking of videos, watch some streams or youtube videos of full matches (my channel is linked in signature and is mostly full matches) to see how players are playing and see if you can spot what they are doing differently than you are.

#23 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 July 2024 - 04:06 PM

they should have told everyone its not zero sum

but negative sum

it is what it is

#24 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 01:55 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 01 July 2024 - 04:06 PM, said:

they should have told everyone its not zero sum

but negative sum

it is what it is

It's positive sum.

There's a lower cap on how much PSR you can lose in a match at -24 for a 0 match score, but there's no upper cap on gain. If you perform well enough you can hit ~+50. Match score in the 600s works out at around 30 depending on how everyone else went.

This video should be stickied- https://youtu.be/JFqlZXOVtdw . Not that it would help much, most potatoes refuse to accept they are responsible for their own performance and outcomes.

#25 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 July 2024 - 09:38 PM

Yep. As long as you play consistently you will eventually cap out your tier bar at t1.

But.

Since you ~can~ get to full bar t1 that way there is still a fairly massive gap in real world skill in t1 itself. The top 1% of players are very much well above everyone else even in t1 and the top .1% might as well be demi gods given their performance profiles compared to the rest of the server.

#26 next comp

• Pip
  • The Pest
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 03:51 AM

Lots of people on some strong copium here blaming external factors such as smurfing or time of day. OP didn't ask for your crackpot theories of why you're in tier 4

#27 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:21 AM

Nobody has blamed the op for anything. He initial run to t2 was because gaining tiers was simply a matter of playing. ~Anyone~ could get to tier 1 in time as long as they kept getting above a zero match score and even the worst players do that every game. So in effect over time the tier system was pointless because the bulk of the pop was getting at or near t1 and the skill imbalances were getting severe.

Thats why they changed the system so that there would be a working skill dividing mechanic and why our op has found his true tier level. He should be happy because if he was in a tier where he naturally met up t1 players and their lances then his outcomes would be far worse. As it stands he gets a taste of that t1 play every now and then. Best option for the op is to stop caring about performance metrics and just play to enjoy the game for what it is. A big stompy robot sim where we get to shoot each other in the face.

#28 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 July 2024 - 02:49 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 02 July 2024 - 01:55 PM, said:

It's positive sum.

There's a lower cap on how much PSR you can lose in a match at -24 for a 0 match score, but there's no upper cap on gain. If you perform well enough you can hit ~+50. Match score in the 600s works out at around 30 depending on how everyone else went.

This video should be stickied- https://youtu.be/JFqlZXOVtdw . Not that it would help much, most potatoes refuse to accept they are responsible for their own performance and outcomes.

it was advertised as zero sum

don't take my word for it look for yourself

https://www.twitch.t...hwarrior-online

now you can say whatever you want but look for yourself
watch new players and see if they are going up, staying the same, or going down

try asking them
wait 60 days and try and find them

#29 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 03:25 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 03 July 2024 - 02:49 PM, said:

try asking them

Where was it advertised as zero sum? I don't see it on the page you linked.

#30 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 July 2024 - 06:03 AM

View PostGasboy, on 03 July 2024 - 03:25 PM, said:

Where was it advertised as zero sum? I don't see it on the page you linked.

https://mwomercs.com...edback-round-1/

look at post # 5 (jayZ)
but don't stop there go on and read the rest of the stickies on PSR in the announcement section

#31 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 06:21 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 July 2024 - 06:03 AM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...edback-round-1/

look at post # 5 (jayZ)
but don't stop there go on and read the rest of the stickies on PSR in the announcement section

I was just looking for the starting point, thank you.

#32 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 July 2024 - 01:56 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 03 July 2024 - 02:49 PM, said:

try asking them

One of the options for one of the models was mentioned as zero sum. The actual implementation is not.

If you are bad at the game and choose to stay bad, this will be reflected in your psr. Which is okay,- because it means you get to play with people at your skill level. Which is the whole point.

If you're still playing poorly when matches in the tier5-3 bracket, you really wouldn't enjoy tier 3-1.

#33 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 July 2024 - 08:36 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 05 July 2024 - 01:56 PM, said:

One of the options for one of the models was mentioned as zero sum. The actual implementation is not.

If you are bad at the game and choose to stay bad, this will be reflected in your psr. Which is okay,- because it means you get to play with people at your skill level. Which is the whole point.

If you're still playing poorly when matches in the tier5-3 bracket, you really wouldn't enjoy tier 3-1.

when I first started in 2014 we all where thrown into the deep end of the pool
we fought and learned but never was my poor play thrown up in my face (except the people that could type insults in chat faster then a stenographer)

the current PSR system has in my opinion is negative sum
that is your PSR will most likely go down soon your PSR (tier bar) is so low it does not even register on the screen

this after they added a tutorial
most of the people that run MWO are on the bridge of the Titanic thinking everything is great

I am not trying to start and argument just pointing out that the system is not working
sure people come over from MW5 but they don't last long

#34 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:44 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 07 July 2024 - 08:36 AM, said:

when I first started in 2014 we all where thrown into the deep end of the pool
we fought and learned but never was my poor play thrown up in my face (except the people that could type insults in chat faster then a stenographer)

the current PSR system has in my opinion is negative sum
that is your PSR will most likely go down soon your PSR (tier bar) is so low it does not even register on the screen

this after they added a tutorial
most of the people that run MWO are on the bridge of the Titanic thinking everything is great

I am not trying to start and argument just pointing out that the system is not working
sure people come over from MW5 but they don't last long

... you do realize that in the link you posted, the 'zero sum' part is for the match as a whole, taking into account all 24 players, right?

#35 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 July 2024 - 05:34 PM

Davegt27, how close are you to Tier 3? Or do you bounce back and forth between Tier 3 and Tier 4?

The original PSR reset occurred for Season 47, for the month of July, with June 30, 2020 being the patch day. This reset had EVERYONE, their dog/cat/hamster/kitchen sink reset to Tier 3, even the Cadets/New Players (Do not believe that PGI actually thought about it), and it was not until several MONTHS later (12-05-2020 patch) they updated things to start/reset to Tier 5 for those who had not played during that timeframe, or played only 25 games since the original reset plus new accounts/players. So for 6 months NEW players started in Tier 3, getting to enjoy the reaming being received from more experienced/better players instead of primarily players, from those even long-termed players who simply played to just to shoot mechs without worrying how well they would do, set in lore-mode, medical related issues and other newer players.

https://mwomercs.com...-december-2020/

With the current setup, it should viewed more along the line of Green, Militia, Regular, Veteran, Elite. Forget to add, since my average MS is closer to your than many of the posters, was doing a comparison between your stats and both my main and alt., the adjusted MS is 15 MS+ and 20 MS+ to yours. And on both of mine, rarely any assaults, with Mediums making up a approximately 62%, heavies 28% and the other 10% split between light/assaults.

You are approx 5% higher in avg than the OP, who is listed as Tier 4, and KursedVixen, though tier isn't listed, has the same MS average as you but a much higher W/L ratio of 1.10 W/L ratio, a difference of 0.12. Potentially, he could be in Tier 3 since the Winners have a slight modifier to push that PSR rating higher vs the losing side, i.e. Winning 236 MS could potentially rank higher than Losing 321 MS, both could get the equal sign, or the winner gets a +1 PSR point vs equal sign, or winner get an equal sign and the loser receives a -1 PSR point, but that is all dependent on how the rest of players did, on both sides of that match.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 July 2024 - 06:23 PM.

#36 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 12:27 PM

Here's the actual formulas post since i did not see it yet.
https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

#37 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 July 2024 - 06:50 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 08 July 2024 - 05:34 PM, said:

Davegt27, how close are you to Tier 3? Or do you bounce back and forth between Tier 3 and Tier 4?

between the T and the I on the home screen
and I have 37,000 drops

all I do is skill up mechs, I use my free MC to buy hero mechs then manually skill them up

I have 2,879,978 GXP
I have to start my skilling up mechs at or near T3 as my PSR drops as I skill mechs up
then I have to work my way back up

the games goal should be to add 5K players to the game
if you spend any time on twitch (https://www.twitch.t...hwarrior-online)
watching new players you will find we had a ton of new players start playing but they don't last long

maybe MWO next edition they will develop a different philosophy

#38 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 09 July 2024 - 09:21 PM

Those new players - not new players.

#39 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 02:12 AM

I don't understand what u want to say u mix up tier with any form of advancement/benefit? It is only an mm tool. Your W/L, K/d and average match score are under average. Why should u go up in tiers just to get stomped harder?

If the psr system has an bias, it is still upward. Because u can't loose much psr and u just need to be above the piss poor average ( of your tier) and u will keep climbing.

So if u bounce back in tiers its just to prevent u get farmed harder and more frequently.

#40 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 July 2024 - 04:24 AM

It was a conversation about Freddy Mercury *****, then defeat.

Stop drink hard before piloting, you team is suffering.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users