Mw5 Clans - Digital Trends Article - Part 1

10 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 10:20 AM

Greetings Warriors,

More details about the upcoming MechWarrior 5: Clans release in this new article from Digital Trends!

Wishlist Today at https://mw5clans.com/
The Invasion Begins October 3rd, 2024!

MechWarrior 5: CLANS is the Standalone Game
coming to XBOX Series S|X, PlayStation 5, and PC on October 3rd, 2024

- Experience the Clan Invasion from the perspective of Clan Smoke Jaguar as you lead your Star through engaging missions and combat, with cinematics unlike anything seen before in MechWarrior.

- Strategic adaptability is key to victory and more accessible than ever with the new Battle Grid, Command Wheel, and Streamlined Controls.

- Customize your 'Mechs with advanced Clan weapon systems, equipment, and upgrades for mission-specific battles, and advance your pilots with the new pilot progression system.

- Experience MechWarrior like never before with a fully standalone campaign featuring detailed environments and dynamic destruction using the latest Unreal Engine and new Tech Updates.

- Play with up to 4 other players as you protect and lead your Star through complex missions and thrilling combat

#2 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia.

Posted 16 July 2024 - 12:26 PM

The first one! Open the pre-order. Great article!
Tactical control of mechs from above is like a Mechcommander. Full immersion and the feeling that you are the commander of a star. Wow!

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 16 July 2024 - 12:27 PM.

#3 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2024 - 02:19 PM

Sweet Kerensky's Orion.

Also the link to the article is busted, but the image clicks to the article. Just fyi

#4 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 04:44 PM

sounds like an space opera experience and less of a financial management exercise, definitely considering playing Clans now. The article mentions some really cool scenes I'd love to play through.

#5 Noishkel Hauptman

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 05:18 PM

Man, that's looking good. Seems like PGI has learned a lot of good lessons form their experience with ironing out Mercs.

Also: still hoping to hear about news about a GOG release. ;P

#6 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 July 2024 - 06:53 AM

I hope that this time the missions will be in an open area without invisible walls. This annoyed me so much about MW5 that I never finished it.

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 945 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 July 2024 - 10:16 PM

OK, we will play as trueborn clan warriors.
Under the Jaguars' banner...

But how seriously taken\take PGI the word "Clan"?
I mean such little but vital things:
- Could we cooperate\ask help of omnifighters? Sabutai is a jaguar-hallmark design just to mention an example.
- How often would we see other clan elements (sure not all mission is "star based") in combat like Elementals?
- Would we has chances to move on the social ladder based on our performance? Like win a bloodname or relegated to second line\garrison duties?
- Are the players get involved into war crimes commited by the Jaguars?

I think (I await from this game) that large, complex missions would be good for the final product. If not necessary galaxy-scaled ones but cluster vs regiment scaled are kind of least a player these days would await.
And I also strongly hope this "Clans" would break the chain of the previous "static" gameplays and grant a plausible atmosphere. You know, real battles! You lead you star while Elementals fight around you against enemy infantry\armour, aerospace\air units fight over you. Be creative and jump over that minimum-effort 5-10 mechs vs 10-15 mechs + 3-8 other crafts situations. < Do not tell me "that would be crowded, AI, perfomance, etc..."... Such things were displayed in older games (X-wing vs TIE fighter, just a pre-2000's example) so those excuses are obsolated almost 20 years ago...

Seriously. This is a huge chance for PGI. They wanted to grab big when announced "Clans". But if they fail they will fall even bigger. I seriously hope they carefully thought that through!

#8 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:54 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 17 July 2024 - 10:16 PM, said:

OK, we will play as trueborn clan warriors.
Under the Jaguars' banner...

But how seriously taken\take PGI the word &quot;Clan&quot;?
I mean such little but vital things:
- Could we cooperate\ask help of omnifighters? Sabutai is a jaguar-hallmark design just to mention an example.
- How often would we see other clan elements (sure not all mission is &quot;star based&quot;) in combat like Elementals?
- Would we has chances to move on the social ladder based on our performance? Like win a bloodname or relegated to second line\garrison duties?
- Are the players get involved into war crimes commited by the Jaguars?

I think (I await from this game) that large, complex missions would be good for the final product. If not necessary galaxy-scaled ones but cluster vs regiment scaled are kind of least a player these days would await.
And I also strongly hope this &quot;Clans&quot; would break the chain of the previous &quot;static&quot; gameplays and grant a plausible atmosphere. You know, real battles! You lead you star while Elementals fight around you against enemy infantry\armour, aerospace\air units fight over you. Be creative and jump over that minimum-effort 5-10 mechs vs 10-15 mechs + 3-8 other crafts situations. &lt; Do not tell me &quot;that would be crowded, AI, perfomance, etc...&quot;... Such things were displayed in older games (X-wing vs TIE fighter, just a pre-2000's example) so those excuses are obsolated almost 20 years ago...

Seriously. This is a huge chance for PGI. They wanted to grab big when announced &quot;Clans&quot;. But if they fail they will fall even bigger. I seriously hope they carefully thought that through!

According to the trailer, the game is about earning the Blood Name. So that's already been sorted out.

As someone who has played all the Battletech games and read the books since the early 90s, I don't expect anything exciting when it comes to mission design. What you want would come down to every single mission being created specifically. It would certainly be cool. But after the first playthrough, you'll never pick up the game again.
I bet there are a lot of randomly generated missions (with constant repetition) and story missions sprinkled in.

I like to repeat myself here: In Mercs the level designers were lazy. During a mission I wanted to take a different route (open area) to avoid an enemy spawn point and ran into a previously invisible wall. I never started the game again after that.

#9 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:58 AM

MW2 has started to take place. I haven't played them before. The Clan Wolf campaign in 31st Century Combat and the Clan Ghost Bear campaign in Ghost Bear's Legacy have already passed. I am very happy with these games. There is a lot of ent in the first game, there is no plot yet. In the company of the Ghost Bear, the plot has already started.
I keep playing MW2: M. I was pleasantly surprised by the first mission under contract with the Dragon Syndicate to suppress the uprising on Galedon V. Activision simply amazes with its imagination and diversity.

In general, there was information that on Galedon V, one office with a factory for the production of ammunition and cartridges began to supply the rebels, while they had recently been almost bankrupt and now it seems they decided to make some money in the war. Our goal is to send them a message that it is not good to cooperate with criminals and violate the laws of the Dragon Syndicate. The task is to go to the business center in the early morning and destroy the third floor, where the offices of the management company are located. It is not advisable to touch the other floors, since the message is specifically addressed and everyone should know who it is for. And we don't need extra sacrifices, even though no one should be at work.

I'm still thinking, is it really necessary to destroy one floor specifically? And yes, even in the briefing video it is indicated. I run to the building, and there's a light on on the third floor. Well, I sawed it out, the main task is completed. On the way, he destroyed 2 APC, a Commando and a helicopter. What did the secondary tasks have to do with it, if I don't destroy other floors and for destroying enemies along the way. At the starting point, the mechs of the Dragon Syndicate were standing, waiting for me. As supervisors.

P.S. And the light on the floor was on because there was a cleaner and a guard there.

Playing MW2 games, I realize that these are really the best games in the Mechwarrior series. The rest were unable to reach this level. In other parts, the gameplay itself may become more modern, the graphics, the simulator mode as in MW3. But in terms of plot, atmosphere, mission variations, and information delivery, MW2 has no equal. And the fights here are interesting, I like them. In MW2, the characteristics of all iron are like in a board game, fights are very fleeting and dangerous. The music is awesome, very cool. The time of day changes, the weather is different.

MW3 has good gameplay in terms of combat, MW4: Vengeance has a fur lab and a plot thanks to the actors' play, but otherwise they have nothing to surprise if you look at MW2. Even the MW3 briefings are a further development of the MW2 briefings: Ghost Bears Legacy, Mercenaries. But there is still news, an event log, and in MW3, apart from briefings, there is nothing in terms of providing information. Imho)

View PostThe Chancelor, on 18 July 2024 - 12:54 AM, said:

According to the trailer, the game is about earning the Blood Name. So that's already been sorted out.

As someone who has played all the Battletech games and read the books since the early 90s, I don't expect anything exciting when it comes to mission design. What you want would come down to every single mission being created specifically. It would certainly be cool. But after the first playthrough, you'll never pick up the game again.
I bet there are a lot of randomly generated missions (with constant repetition) and story missions sprinkled in.

I like to repeat myself here: In Mercs the level designers were lazy. During a mission I wanted to take a different route (open area) to avoid an enemy spawn point and ran into a previously invisible wall. I never started the game again after that.

You're wrong. If the plot is exciting and there is an atmosphere, linear campaigns are great and can be replayed many times. I did exactly the same in MW3, MW4. And you're wrong again, here all the missions will be created manually, there will be no random missions with procedurally generated tasks.

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 18 July 2024 - 12:59 AM.

#10 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 09:29 AM

How many enemy units can be added to the attack queue for teammates? Is it also possible to add a follow-up movement to the queue? Let's say we tell Liam to destroy a couple of mechs, and then move to a specific point on the map. And he does everything consistently. Are there orders to protect allied units, buildings?

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 18 July 2024 - 09:30 AM.

#11 Pyc_MadWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:52 PM

And here is the localization list as promised. At the same time, it became even bigger, Japanese appeared.
https://i.ibb.co/9Y2...0718-235152.jpg

Edited by Pyc_MadWolf, 18 July 2024 - 01:16 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users