Pgi, Hear Me Out. I Have A Proposal That May Get More Players To Ride Light Mechs.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Mechropanzer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 03:35 AM

In almost every Quickplay game, you will see the message: 'To reduce wait times, use Light mechs'.

In a game where damage inflicted is the primary measure for determining scores, Light mechs are often at a disadvantage because they cannot carry as much firepower as their heavier counterparts. This is why the system frequently encourages players to choose Light mechs. They are less popular due to their low armor and survivability, but more importantly many players feel they lack the firepower needed for high damage scores. This is a significant drawback in a game where damage scores are the main metric for scoring and the primary focus for online streamers to determine what is often considered a powered mech.

I propose that PGI include a new column in the end-of-match scoreboard: Damage Per Ton.

This new column should be easy to implement, simply taking the amount of damage inflicted and dividing it by the tonnage of the mech.

I am not suggesting a change to the scoring formula or that this should be used as a new way to calculate match scores. The main purpose is to serve as an indicator of how much damage lighter mechs contribute to the game relative to their tonnage. This will provide a sense of overall contribution for pilots in lighter mechs.

For example, a 90-ton mech that inflicts 900 damage contributes 10 damage per ton, whereas a 20-ton mech that inflicts 500 damage contributes 25 damage per ton. This is not meant to downplay total damage but rather to highlight that the lighter mech is contributing 2.5 times more damage per ton. This will give pilots in lighter mechs recognition for their contributions to the game, even though they carry fewer and lesser weapons. It also acknowledges their aggressive and risky piloting as their lighter and shorter ranged weapons often require close contact brawling.

Hopefully, this will encourage more players to use lighter mechs.

#2 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 09:15 AM

Warthog...lol

#3 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 17 August 2024 - 10:58 AM

Light mechs have unique advantages, damage done is not THAT different from upper classes.

I agree that a small correction could be applied but not linearly.

About Warthog, MWO was a better game without it.

#4 VaelophisNyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 August 2024 - 04:33 PM

View PostEvilCow, on 17 August 2024 - 10:58 AM, said:

Light mechs have unique advantages, damage done is not THAT different from upper classes.

I agree that a small correction could be applied but not linearly.

About Warthog, MWO was a better game without it.

the rewards system barely cares about anything that isn't damage. Damage that lights often struggle to do, because in the current environment a painful poke for an assault is an instant ST loss or straight death to a bulk of lights

#5 Mechropanzer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2024 - 09:16 PM

View PostVaelophisNyx, on 17 August 2024 - 04:33 PM, said:

the rewards system barely cares about anything that isn't damage. Damage that lights often struggle to do, because in the current environment a painful poke for an assault is an instant ST loss or straight death to a bulk of lights

Agreed. While there are non-damage modifiers that get calculated into the match score, they are insignificant compared to the damage dealt.

Again, I am not trying to change the calculation formula. I am simply suggesting the inclusion of a new, relatively easy-to-implement Damage Per Ton indicator in the end-of-game score dashboard.

I understand that some may believe this will not favor heavier mechs. However, the damage score has generally not favored lighter mechs either. The Damage Per Ton metric will help balance this out.

#6 Zen Dragon

• PipPip
  • The Divine
  • The Divine
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 04:53 AM

LESS light mechs please, not more. OR - fix the lag armor bonus they get. It's absurd to nail them with 4x UAC10 and they don't die because of the lag and tiny hit boxes.

#7 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 08:10 PM

light mechs are supposed to be scouts in lore...soooo to me it is a wonder why are they in the game the way they are...they should be some form of back up or consumable ability, I dont know but not supposed to stand up to heavier mech actually designed for combat...that being said...I love my incubus and few things are as rewarding a bringing down an atlas with it.

PS

ok literally, just made it out of a match and we got our asses handed over and I saw nothing but light mechs there was a heavy but joined like at the end...it was pretty epic...lights are like high risk high rewards kinda play style and I can dig that...

Edited by simon1812, 09 September 2024 - 08:14 PM.

#8 Mechropanzer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 05:26 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 09 September 2024 - 08:10 PM, said:

light mechs are supposed to be scouts in lore

Indeed, as it should be.

However, this game focuses on damage. That's why the scoring system is biased against lighter mechs. Generally, lighter mechs have to work much harder to achieve significant damage output. This statement applies to the class as a whole, not just to one or two specific light mech variants or teams of light mechs swarming together.

Capturing bases, capturing points, spotting, etc., all contribute very little to the overall score or score modifiers. These tactical actions are almost negligible compared to the points earned from damage.

Again, I'm not asking to change the scoring formula. Just a Damage Per Ton metric would at least acknowledge the 'Commendation for low drop weight' contribution and the damage they bring into the battlefield relative to their tonnage. ^_^

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users