Is Streak Srm, Do We Need Artemis, Narc, Tag?

18 replies to this topic

#1 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,566 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:51 AM

Newbie quiestion here, please bear with us!

For IS (Inner Sphere) STREAK SRM, do we need Artemis, NARC, TAG?

1. If I use IS STREAK SRM 2, and use Artemis missile guidance,
is the Artemis wasted tonnage on my mech?

2. Similarly, if I use IS STREAK SRM 2, and use NARC/TAG, would it improve SSRM2 perormance, or is it wasted tonnage on my mech also?

#2 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

View Postw0qj, on 21 July 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

1. If I use IS STREAK SRM 2, and use Artemis missile guidance,
is the Artemis wasted tonnage on my mech?

2. Similarly, if I use IS STREAK SRM 2, and use NARC/TAG, would it improve SSRM2 perormance, or is it wasted tonnage on my mech also?

1) Yes, it's wasted. Back in the day they had a coding glitch where SSRMs would get faster lock-ons w/ Artemis, but that's gone AFAIK.

2) Tag and Narc are good for getting locks on ECM mechs (I believe it works on stealth armor too). If Clan, use the Light Tag for Streaks. Narc is a bit heavy for a Streak boat--tag is prob better for you (although Narc is extremely useful for your whole team). BAP is also often paired with Streaks in case you get inside their bubble.

Edited by Kubernetes, 21 July 2020 - 08:04 AM.

#3 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

What we DO NEED is a manual fire mode.

#4 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Don't forget the active probe.

#5 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,566 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

Wow, many thanks for everyone's very quick and helpful replies!
Just a few more follow-up questions; please bear with us!

1. Beagle Active Probe (presumably to help disrupt foe's ECM):
Q: Do we need to press "J" for "Disrupt" mode, to counter foe's ECM (so that our Streak SRM can lock on)?

View PostWillard Phule, on 21 July 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

Don't forget the active probe.

2. Targeting Computer: would Targeting Computer (even the humble Level 1 version) help your Streak SRM to lock on,
or would the Targeting Computer help disrupt foe's ECM?

Thank you in advance!

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

Tag allows targeting of mechs in Stealth mode as long as they are 120m away minimum.

#7 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

You really need a TAG to counter ECM and stealth dudes, otherwhise your weapon won't even shoot at them. It also speeding up targeting against ECM-covered tagets.

BAP is very convenient, but it cannot stop multiply ECM dudes and useless against stealth armor. Most annoying and streak-worthy lights will use stealth armor.

Targeting computer is wasted tonnage for the pure streak boats.

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

Targeting Computers should have some sort of "safty" in it that new players don't use it where it dosn't work.
Original rules where more like artemis is in MWO. Take the tonnage of all supported weapons and devide it by 4 for IS and 5 for clans and you got the weight of the TC as well as slot numbers.
If you don't have any supported weapons you just can't build it into your mech.

#9 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 21 July 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

1) Yes, it's wasted. Back in the day they had a coding glitch where SSRMs would get faster lock-ons w/ Artemis, but that's gone AFAIK.

Artemis does not add weight to SSRM launchers, so there is no wasted tonnage. It's a waste of C-Bills, though, installing Artemis for a streak-only mech.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

View Postw0qj, on 21 July 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

Q: Do we need to press "J" for "Disrupt" mode, to counter foe's ECM (so that our Streak SRM can lock on)?

No, that's if you're carrying ECM yourself. BAP or CAP work automatically to disrupt a single ECM within range (so yeah, if two ECM mechs jump on you you're toast).

No on the targeting comp too. Tag and BAP are pretty much the standard kit for SSRMs. Narc works great if someone else is doing it-- usually you're not going to want to sacrifice a missile slot & tonnage to do it yourself.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 21 July 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

No, that's if you're carrying ECM yourself. BAP or CAP work automatically to disrupt a single ECM within range (so yeah, if two ECM mechs jump on you you're toast).

Can always use a UAV, which counters all ECM in range.

#12 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

View Postw0qj, on 21 July 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

2. Targeting Computer: would Targeting Computer (even the humble Level 1 version) help your Streak SRM to lock on,
or would the Targeting Computer help disrupt foe's ECM?

Thank you in advance!

Easiest answer, Targeting Computers have nothing at all to do with missiles. That's really the bottom line. At best, adding a targeting computer to something with missiles simply allows you to "display target data" quicker than without. That's it.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

Minimal addition, but not useful for Streakboats at all: Targeting computers add to sensor range and since IDF lock time is a function of your sensor range, there is some benefit of a TC for a missile carrier.

View Postletir, on 21 July 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

You really need a TAG to counter ECM and stealth dudes, otherwhise your weapon won't even shoot at them. It also speeding up targeting against ECM-covered tagets.

Your own TAG does never speed up your own targeting, because ECM only adds time onto IDF locks and since you need LOS to use TAG on a target...
TAG only makes cloaked (ECM/stealth) mechs targetable as long as you are not under the influence of enemy ECM.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:13 PM

i used to use tag but since they nerfed it so that it no longer provides a boost to lock time, i gave it up. you are better off with a targeting computer and any nodes you can find to reduce it. i do consider bap essential equipment as it can get you a lock through ecm just fine.

another thing people may not consider is a ppc. probibly best off with the er, snub, or light depending on available tonnage. breaks ecm/stealth every time.

View PostHammerMaster, on 21 July 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

What we DO NEED is a manual fire mode.

i like the way they worked in living legends. lock is good, but you can dumbfire them, and they fly around wildly and dont do as much concentrated damage as normal srms. we should take the same difference in spread between artemis and standard srms, and make that the same difference between standard srms and ssrms.

i also liked how everything in mwll had splash. splash is fun.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 July 2020 - 10:18 PM.

#15 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:29 AM

For all streaks you should take an active probe to counter ecm and at least a uav (better 2 with all uav-nodes in the skillwheel) if there is more then one ecm near or the light is dancing around obstacles.

if you go pure streak, think about a plan against stealtharmor enemys, maybe some lasers or taking a flamer or two to make then turn off their stealtharmor or a light ppc or narc to turn it off.
NARC is nice, it helps, but do you have the weight?
TAG helps for sure but better put it in an unlocked arm with lower actuators to track fast lights.

Edited by Kroete, 22 July 2020 - 01:30 AM.

#16 Dark Fenrir the Fluffy

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:33 AM

Here’s what I do on my Mad4hp. Two light tags one in each arm in case an arm gets blown off. A BAP, a light ppc, and a narc beacon for those hard to get light ecm stealth armor packs.
My streaks always have a home in the butts of those little beastards running around like kids with bad parents. “You spank that a$$…”

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,950 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 August 2024 - 01:41 PM

This topic was delightful
perhaps even the best.
But back in 2020,
we laid it well to rest!

Necro, necro, necro!
how did you find this post?
Necro, necro, necro,
it's practically a ghost!

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 02:14 PM

when using srms to kill lights, you are better off using the non guided variety if you can aim (including appropriate lead), and the guided variety if you cant. the former are deadlier than the latter. they are also lighter so you can equip them on mechs that are actually capable of chasing down lights. streaks may be useful on bait mechs, but that is an extremely niche playstyle. any mech with sufficient streaks to hurt lights will be weak against other targets. i generally dont use streaks because their disadvantages just plain suck.

now here is a pile of shotguns, chainsaws and axes, clean up this zombie mess.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 August 2024 - 02:16 PM.

#19 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 03:57 PM

I like to pair Snub Nose PPC (or Light PPC) with NARC.

Because they are both a projectile and therefore synchronize moderately well despite different velocities, and a hit with a PPC will disable their ECM/Stealth for several seconds (about 10 seconds?) so you can get a lock with your Streaks.

And +1 we need a direct fire mode for Streaks, for when you can't get a lock due to stealth/ECM.

Edited by kalashnikity, 01 September 2024 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users