Every Time I Come Back, This Is The 1 Reason That Drives Me Away Again

30 replies to this topic

#1 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 02 September 2024 - 10:51 AM

Hit Reg is still garbage. I enjoy a crisp 20-30 ping so I'm pretty sensitive to this stuff. Some matches its fine... other matches you can watch a single light kill 4-5 mechs because nobodies hits are registering. Why after all these years I can't understand... but it poisons an overall enjoyable game that should be successful. That's my feedback for this time round.

#2 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 September 2024 - 07:56 PM

First world problems.

Back in my day you could not even get a match unless you were in the same city, copper wire be like it is.

You realize we are literally playing with each other from all corners of the Earth right now?

#3 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 September 2024 - 10:16 PM

I play with 250 ping, exp Ocean. Still its ok, though even 170 ping was better.

I lose badly only in one case: when both me and enemy all red, we standing at corner and know about it. The ping difference allows enemy to shoot and kill me first and game stop here. Just tiny part of second.

Use streaks against lights, it cant be helped.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 02 September 2024 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Moadebe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 07:10 AM

View PostA banana in the tailpipe, on 02 September 2024 - 10:51 AM, said:

Hit Reg is still garbage. I enjoy a crisp 20-30 ping so I'm pretty sensitive to this stuff. Some matches its fine... other matches you can watch a single light kill 4-5 mechs because nobodies hits are registering. Why after all these years I can't understand... but it poisons an overall enjoyable game that should be successful. That's my feedback for this time round.

According to many hitreg in this game is awesome and fine.

Aside from that.

GL dude. Its been a problem for awhile now. Dunno if we will get code engineer time to actually fix that stuff. I just try to enjoy shooting mechs as much as i can.

#5 Just a Kobold

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 04:47 PM

Fleas, Locusts, and maybe Javelins (don't encounter them enough) have some hitreg issues for sure. Once in a blue any mech at all lets PPCs phase through it harmlessly.

It's not completely broken though, unless you have some problem with your own hardware or too much packet loss between you and the server. Occasionally with my old router with a Puma6 chip would have seizures and show a perfectly fine ping but add insane latency to everything or spill it's packets all over.
This newer, sleeker router would do something weird when someone's cellphone connected to wifi 6, and I'd suddenly have up to 30000 ping. Not an exaggeration. Fixed that by hoarding the entire 6 band for myself, who needs it on a cell anyway?

Anyone with high ping is prone to warping and rubberbanding, which sucks to deal with but the server is usually pretty good at giving you the hit after a delay if you shot where it was telling you the target is.

Maybe they could upgrade their servers to mitigate this a bit, but I don't think we'll see a really big improvement unless they move on to a new engine. Modernizing Cryengine's netcode is one of the few areas I'd buy PGI's excuse of "But no one can program it."

#6 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 05:50 PM

I haven't posted here in years. Came back this spring and the variety + balance were good. Started to rally people, got Gyrok back on board. he revived Delta Lance... there's 8+ dropping on weekends etc... and then I hit this brick wall. Last 3 weeks have been GARBAGE for hit reg. Like.. ho boy I don't even want to stay logged in. Chasing lights around is one thing but the last few have been obnoxious. Like.. wailing on some dude's open back and watching his paper doll barely flicker obnoxious. It was enough to speak up. It sucks.

#7 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 05:59 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 02 September 2024 - 07:56 PM, said:

First world problems.

Back in my day you could not even get a match unless you were in the same city, copper wire be like it is.

You realize we are literally playing with each other from all corners of the Earth right now?

I drop with a dude from Sri Lanka and often wind up on servers that favor him not me. I'm use to all sorts of pings and due to the crispness of my native ping the sensation is even more pronounced. Something's not right lately... and for the last few weeks hit reg has been garbage for a bunch of people I know, myself included.

#8 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 07:29 PM

The servers have a very low tick rate due to server costs. If you ever see a mech stuck in the wall or stuck in general that causes them to drop but then teleport back into place, that updating of position is the tick rate. Which is very slow, which is why fast lights get lag armor. Also why I like Streaks vs lights since it does away with the tick rate situation for the most part. Still Streaks can be a tough weapon to use and they still have overall speed to dictate the engagement on their terms.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 11:27 PM

View PostCanadianCyrus, on 03 September 2024 - 07:29 PM, said:

The servers have a very low tick rate due to server costs. If you ever see a mech stuck in the wall or stuck in general that causes them to drop but then teleport back into place, that updating of position is the tick rate. Which is very slow, which is why fast lights get lag armor. Also why I like Streaks vs lights since it does away with the tick rate situation for the most part. Still Streaks can be a tough weapon to use and they still have overall speed to dictate the engagement on their terms.

And then we realize, that devs have added radar derp cheat to this game in order to protect already almost invulnerable Lights even from lock on weapons.

For me hitreg itself isn't problem. The biggest problem for me - is what such Lights, that kill 5 'Mechs and deal 1k+ dmg, do in my Tier 4? Shouldn't they be in Tier 1, that should never be matched against my Tier 4? So, broken matchmaker is the biggest problem. It has been broken since release of Clans. Quality of matches dropped and became unstable. Sometimes it was better, sometimes worse. But overall I was sitting between Tier 3 and 2. Mostly due to exp bar nature of previous PSR. New PSR improved situation a little bit. But not for long. For now situation is even worse. Tier 4 feels like Tier 2 with all kinds of Meta abuse. Tier 3 feels like Tier 1, where you're simply stomped. Tier 3 should be for average players. I'm average player. But I'm pushed down by simple fact, that game becomes unplayable immediately, when I advance to Tier 3.

#10 Just a Kobold

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 04:42 AM

T3 is T1. Almost every match in T3 I see players I know are T1, 2, and 3 with the occasional low tier match since you can drop in anywhere.

The gap between your average T5 player and your average T1 player really isn't as big as you might think. Sure your T5 pug might have more, or more crippling shortcomings more often than your T1 pug, but the biggest difference is usually mentality. T1 uses more optimized mechs and skill trees, they tend to know exactly where they want to be on a map and which paths they want to take, and they react in a more coordinated manner to threats (although I swear it's by accident.)

Probably the most common skill gap that holds people back in T5 is aim. Whether that's from refusing to adjust sensitivity, something physical like arthritis and or poor reflexes, or good old fashioned incompetence (like me), it makes for much easier targets for the pirahnas and peanutbutter locusts to run circles around and shoot out the legs. That's why you see them every match low tier, then suddenly it switches to lights that focus purely on high alpha and agility.

But I got to know... Why shouldn't a light mech be able to get 1k damage and 5 kills regardless of tier?

#11 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 09:10 AM

I think I actually found the cause of the hit reg issues and it wasn't PGI.

Recently I had bought a new monitor with build in ai enhancements and one of them is image sharpening. It's ... really close to cheating how crisp it makes the screen. Well I've started having issues in other games since enabling it and I'm willing to re-install mechwarrior and give it a try this weekend without any image enhancement and see if that fixes it.

If it was my monitor I'll totally apologize.

Edited by A banana in the tailpipe, 04 September 2024 - 09:13 AM.

#12 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 01:19 PM

View PostJust a Kobold, on 04 September 2024 - 04:42 AM, said:

T3 is T1. Almost every match in T3 I see players I know are T1, 2, and 3 with the occasional low tier match since you can drop in anywhere.

The gap between your average T5 player and your average T1 player really isn't as big as you might think. Sure your T5 pug might have more, or more crippling shortcomings more often than your T1 pug, but the biggest difference is usually mentality. T1 uses more optimized mechs and skill trees, they tend to know exactly where they want to be on a map and which paths they want to take, and they react in a more coordinated manner to threats (although I swear it's by accident.)

Probably the most common skill gap that holds people back in T5 is aim. Whether that's from refusing to adjust sensitivity, something physical like arthritis and or poor reflexes, or good old fashioned incompetence (like me), it makes for much easier targets for the pirahnas and peanutbutter locusts to run circles around and shoot out the legs. That's why you see them every match low tier, then suddenly it switches to lights that focus purely on high alpha and agility.

But I got to know... Why shouldn't a light mech be able to get 1k damage and 5 kills regardless of tier?

Yeah. May be it's aiming. In close combat problems with aiming are caused by imperfect FPS. But overall it's good idea not to let Lights come close to you. Especially if you're Assault and have pitch limitations. Some small Lights can hug your legs and become completely unreachable for your weapons. But I have strange problem in MWO. Overall my mouse is precise enough. When I try to aim at vertical line on my screen - inaccuracy is ±1px and cursor doesn't move. I have no issues in any other games. But when I play MWO - my crosshair tends to "float". It's like artificial inaccuracy, that is added in some games, where you need to keep something inside some area and it constantly tries to run away. Very annoying.

#13 Krucilatoz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 07:56 PM

Let me tell both side of the ping. Im in south east asian btw, and there was one OC server in Singapore and give me 20 - 30ms ping.
And it was GLORIOUS.
All my laser build felt effective, hitting light become more accurate.

And then OC server moved to Australia, weirdly enough that my ping goes to 100-150++.
My laser build become less effective, it just the same as to EU / US. It became harder to hit lights especially when they circling me in sub 50m.

#14 PCHunter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 11:57 PM

Don't kid yourselves about the Tiers and matchmaker. The algorithm does not function. Tier 1 groups dropping in every other tier's matches continues to be a huge problem. Groups in solo queue is a problem itself. Matchmaker does not work at all, nor do the devs have a clue how or an inclination to fix it. They blame the lower player population for unbalanced matches. This is a cop out. There are many ways of making adjustments to matches to even out the teams better. No dev resources, no desire on their part. I was Tier 3; once soup queue allowed group drops and matchmaker was turned off, I declined to Tier 4 - no difference in my play style, etc. Just coming across much better players and groups in matches where a Tier 4 player shouldn't be. I struggle to maintain my mid-Tier 4 status. I record (written) summaries of matches. About 80% of them are stacked or skewed obviously. Groups is a large influence. Tier 1 players dropping with their friends. Mech dispersion is another. It's amazing how lopsided matchmaker can make teams. Even to the point of ridiculousness.

The imbalance is usually team assault count (7v1 was the worse example), light mech count (6 on one side, none of the other), overall weight imbalance, overall mech imbalance (total drop weight the same but completely different compositions) and then allocating dissimilar weights by class. Wow, look there are 4 assaults on each team, but one is all 100 tonners and the other is 80 tonners. The difference is 80 tons, or another assault mech.

I can usually predict the outcome of a match just by reviewing these factors. I look at my team then keep an eye of the other team as my team spots them. Except if I see that notable Tier 1 players are grouped on the other team. Also, I have been in 3 consecutive matches with the same Tier 1 groups on the opposite team. How does that happen?! The pisser is that if I can run through a 24-mech set and allocate them between two teams as fairly as possible just from looking at these factors, so can a matchmaker algorithm. It's pretty easy to do - just screen the mechs and allocate; screen the player tiers and adjust; check for total drop weight by team and adjust. Not hard, not perfect but way better than matchmaker's efforts. Include all mechs and players in groups and adjust the remaining mechs accordingly.

#15 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 05 September 2024 - 03:27 AM

i have always thought that Groups should set to register as the highest tier player in the group. so if even a single T1 player is in a group that group is set as a T1 group for the purpose of matchmaking. something very simple to do i would imagine. that way T1s can't farm T5s by just having someone make a smurf and run with them.

#16 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 09:06 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 03 September 2024 - 11:27 PM, said:

And then we realize, that devs have added radar derp cheat to this game in order to protect already almost invulnerable Lights even from lock on weapons. For me hitreg itself isn't problem. The biggest problem for me - is what such Lights, that kill 5 'Mechs and deal 1k+ dmg, do in my Tier 4? Shouldn't they be in Tier 1, that should never be matched against my Tier 4? So, broken matchmaker is the biggest problem. It has been broken since release of Clans. Quality of matches dropped and became unstable. Sometimes it was better, sometimes worse. But overall I was sitting between Tier 3 and 2. Mostly due to exp bar nature of previous PSR. New PSR improved situation a little bit. But not for long. For now situation is even worse. Tier 4 feels like Tier 2 with all kinds of Meta abuse. Tier 3 feels like Tier 1, where you're simply stomped. Tier 3 should be for average players. I'm average player. But I'm pushed down by simple fact, that game becomes unplayable immediately, when I advance to Tier 3.

T1 players already suffers from long match queue times as it is, especially if they play in groups. They're entitled to play too you know, as the alternative is just making a new account to smurf (free to play game btw) at lower tiers until they hit higher tier again.
Not to mention that the skill level of "T1" players varies a lot. From most perspective, being put into T1 is actually a negative, and while it might suck for you on the lower tier, you could also reason that it works both ways with said higher tier players being liable to be put into both your team and/or the enemies' team.

Anyway, rather than matchmaking being solely based on PSR and team tonnage, I'd personally rather have teams balanced around roles and "BV points" for each teams based on their vehicles' builds, not copying the actual tabletop BV values because this isn't a strategy game where expendability is a factor mind you, losing a light/medium is losing 1/12 players on your team no matter how "expendable" they are meant to be in a tabletop wargame and that is just not something in consideration here and is only at most vaguely relevant on drop deck matches like FP/Events.

#17 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 01:25 PM

View PostTtly, on 05 September 2024 - 09:06 AM, said:

T1 players already suffers from long match queue times as it is, especially if they play in groups. They're entitled to play too you know, as the alternative is just making a new account to smurf (free to play game btw) at lower tiers until they hit higher tier again.
Not to mention that the skill level of "T1" players varies a lot. From most perspective, being put into T1 is actually a negative, and while it might suck for you on the lower tier, you could also reason that it works both ways with said higher tier players being liable to be put into both your team and/or the enemies' team.

Anyway, rather than matchmaking being solely based on PSR and team tonnage, I'd personally rather have teams balanced around roles and "BV points" for each teams based on their vehicles' builds, not copying the actual tabletop BV values because this isn't a strategy game where expendability is a factor mind you, losing a light/medium is losing 1/12 players on your team no matter how "expendable" they are meant to be in a tabletop wargame and that is just not something in consideration here and is only at most vaguely relevant on drop deck matches like FP/Events.

You know what? I shouldn't care about T1 problems. It's devs' business.

Second thing - skill rating should be enough. Because it shows how good player is overall, without any relation to specific 'Mech or 'Mech class. It was thing, I was asking for back in old times, when we had strict 3:3:3:3 rule. It's better to have uneven teams, but having equal skill ratings, than even teams, but having unbalanced skills. Problem is - may be 'Mechs classes don't always combine well. For example LRM boat is useless, if team doesn't have good Lights or at least good brawlers, who would push and wouldn't just hide behind cover for whole match. LRM boat is also useless, if enemy team is full of radar derp cheat abusers.

Third thing - about "git gud" thing. We are humans, not perfect sportsmen. My computer isn't perfect, my mouse isn't perfect, my ping isn't perfect, my eyesight isn't perfect, my reaction isn't perfect. And it's just terrible, when devs require you to be perfect not only to play game at top ratings, but also to play at bottom 40%.

Hitreg problems are mostly caused by last 'Mech size scaling pass, that made some Lights too small. My overall idea - 'Mech size should be proportional to it's number of hardpoints and firepower. Weapons need space, yeah? So, if 'Mech can fit 10 MGs or ER-PPC - it should be HUGE. Because, well, balance is about tradeoffs. Nothing should be perfect. If you want to be small and fast - you should sacrifice your armor and firepower. That's it.

Edited by MrMadguy, 05 September 2024 - 01:27 PM.

#18 Just a Kobold

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 04:24 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 05 September 2024 - 01:25 PM, said:

'Mech size should be proportional to it's number of hardpoints and firepower. Weapons need space, yeah? So, if 'Mech can fit 10 MGs or ER-PPC - it should be HUGE. Because, well, balance is about tradeoffs. Nothing should be perfect. If you want to be small and fast - you should sacrifice your armor and firepower. That's it.

We do though. The less tonnage you have, the less structure you have (before quirks), and the less maximum armor you can equip. The fastest lights can't even equip a 250 engine and have to sacrifice slots to get 10 heatsinks. It's much harder to balance cooling to firepower, and you end up making sacrifices to top speed, number of JJs, going without AMS, TC, BAP.

Try playing a FS9-K with 8 small pulses or something. Let me know how you feel about needing to be the size of a Wolverine to equip it after that.

#19 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 05:30 PM

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that it was totally the monitor and I wasn't expecting new tech to be a hinderance more than a gain. My apolgies for blaming hitreg.

The bad news is the game is still full of hero mechs with p2w quirks that make me wish it was legit broken instead of buy the OP mech like everone else and just be happy. I still uninstalled it because at the end of the day the guy with the pay mech gets to hit harder and survive longer. It's a shame this is all we've got.

Edited by A banana in the tailpipe, 05 September 2024 - 05:30 PM.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 05:54 PM

that's funny because for me its usually boredom. do event, scratch itch, go away for a month.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook