Why Put Case In Side Torso On Light Engine?

16 replies to this topic

#1 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 05:23 PM

Looking at the Blight (Marauder) (on sale right now!), does this do anything?

There is no ammo in the Side Torso.

I get it for if you put ammo, or if you have a Gauss in the side torso, but on a side torso with only a UAC-10?

#2 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 06:29 PM

Another question: If I put CASE in an XL, with a Gauss, if the Gauss is destroyed, will the Case protect the XL from damage?

#3 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 06:51 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 14 September 2024 - 06:29 PM, said:

Another question: If I put CASE in an XL, with a Gauss, if the Gauss is destroyed, will the Case protect the XL from damage?

No, case only prevents the explosion from spreading to other components, doesnt protect anything in the component it is installed in

#4 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 07:24 PM

Do LT engines explode when destroyed? Why did the Blight put two CASE in the side torsos? Decorative?

#5 Ttly

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 09:33 PM

Why does the MAD-5A have a CASE on its RT on the stock loadout?
A lot of the stock/canon builds are just nonsensical in context of MWO like this.

Edited by Ttly, 14 September 2024 - 09:37 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 11:33 PM

i think it may just be crit padding.

#7 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 01:59 AM

View PostTtly, on 14 September 2024 - 09:33 PM, said:

A lot of the stock/canon builds are just nonsensical in context of MWO like this.

it's an original loadout designed for MWO. i'm not sure why it has CASE in the STs, but i assume it's just a mistake that wasn't caught before release.

View PostLordNothing, on 14 September 2024 - 11:33 PM, said:

you can't crit pad with CASE.

#8 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 September 2024 - 02:04 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 September 2024 - 11:33 PM, said:

Case doesnt work for crit padding anymore.

I'm not sure about this either and information about case seems to be all about having ammo in the same component. Either CASE stops explosions from moving from component to another (in this case from arm to side torso), or the side torso will blow up but it prevents CT from taking damage.

Or it's just an oversight. Someone wiser than me should chime in here.

#9 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 08:29 AM

The Blight stock design was made by cauldron and is exactly as intended. CASE will prevent an ammo explosion from spreading further. CASE doesn’t just benefit the component ammo is in, it can prevent damage spread in adjacent components.
Also, CASE does NOT crit pad. Take it from a cauldron member.

#10 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 12:32 PM

View Postcougurt, on 15 September 2024 - 01:59 AM, said:

it's an original loadout designed for MWO. i'm not sure why it has CASE in the STs, but i assume it's just a mistake that wasn't caught before release.

you can't crit pad with CASE.

Can you direct armor slots to more sensitive areas? Because I'm assuming the RNG skips over CASE slots?

#11 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 12:38 PM

View PostBlueDevilspawn, on 15 September 2024 - 08:29 AM, said:

The Blight stock design was made by cauldron and is exactly as intended. CASE will prevent an ammo explosion from spreading further. CASE doesn’t just benefit the component ammo is in, it can prevent damage spread in adjacent components.

So putting CASE in the ST protects the ST from an ammo explosion in the arm? Do I understand that correctly?

Edited by kalashnikity, 15 September 2024 - 12:45 PM.

#12 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 01:17 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 15 September 2024 - 12:32 PM, said:

Can you direct armor slots to more sensitive areas? Because I'm assuming the RNG skips over CASE slots?

No, armor hp is determined by your counter and quirks.

View Postkalashnikity, on 15 September 2024 - 12:38 PM, said:

So putting CASE in the ST protects the ST from an ammo explosion in the arm? Do I understand that correctly?

That too… except most people strip the arms on the blight and put ammo in legs.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 01:52 PM

View PostBlueDevilspawn, on 15 September 2024 - 08:29 AM, said:

this is useful information, too bad the game, documentation, etc is vague about it.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 01:55 PM

View PostBlueDevilspawn, on 15 September 2024 - 01:17 PM, said:

No, armor hp is determined by your counter and quirks.

That too… except most people strip the arms on the blight and put ammo in legs.

you know i stopped doing that. started putting a ton and case in each leg to keep it from propagating to the torsos. so i could just put it in the torso, put 2t in each leg, and protect my engine that way?

#15 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 September 2024 - 06:22 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 14 September 2024 - 05:23 PM, said:

Looking at the Blight (Marauder) (on sale right now!), does this do anything?

There is no ammo in the Side Torso.

I get it for if you put ammo, or if you have a Gauss in the side torso, but on a side torso with only a UAC-10?

Ammo explosion moves inwards from arms and legs towards the CT.
When ammo explosion destroys the arm or leg (armor is ignored), the remainder of the damage moves to the side torso internals, and applies there. If the side torso is destroyed too, the remainder of that moves towards the CT and most likely destroys it too.

A CASE always prevents the damage from spreading inwards. It does not prevent the component it is in from being destroyed. But stops the spread.

The Blight has ammo in both arms and legs. The stock build is already max slots filled, so a CASE could not be put in both arms and legs where ammo is. As a result, the CASE is put in the first common junction which is the side torso, to prevent the damage from ammo explosion in arms and legs from reaching the CT and destroying the mech.

For example, if you put the CASE that is in the Right torso in the right leg, the ammo explosion that happens in the Right arm will kill you.

View PostTtly, on 14 September 2024 - 09:33 PM, said:

I just explained the reason. A number of lore builds in BT don't make sense.
Not this one. This one was made from scratch by players.

Edited by Navid A1, 15 September 2024 - 06:26 PM.

#16 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 07:46 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 15 September 2024 - 06:22 PM, said:

When ammo explosion destroys the arm or leg (armor is ignored), the remainder of the damage moves to the side torso internals, and applies there. If the side torso is destroyed too, the remainder of that moves towards the CT and most likely destroys it too.

A CASE always prevents the damage from spreading inwards. It does not prevent the component it is in from being destroyed. But stops the spread.

The Blight has ammo in both arms and legs. The stock build is already max slots filled, so a CASE could not be put in both arms and legs where ammo is. As a result, the CASE is put in the first common junction which is the side torso, to prevent the damage from ammo explosion in arms and legs from reaching the CT and destroying the mech.

For example, if you put the CASE that is in the Right torso in the right leg, the ammo explosion that happens in the Right arm will kill you.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that clearly.

I understand perfectly now, and I see how it's actually well thought out to put CASE in the ST

#17 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 07:47 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 15 September 2024 - 06:22 PM, said:

thanks for the explanation, i didn't realize CASE worked this way.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users