#1 Al_Bundy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 148 posts
  • LocationBasel

Posted 27 September 2024 - 04:17 AM

Hello everyone,

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but it's really about time that this map voting was finally removed from the game.

I hate this system more than the non-existent matchmaker, because out of 10 games...9 are on the same crappy map (HPG)...and of course the masses of snipers choose it again and again and again so that they can pursue their passion for camping and sniping.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 27 September 2024 - 04:26 AM

I have got no problem with this proposal.

#3 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 27 September 2024 - 06:37 AM

Nope. The maps winning are because that is what the public overwhelmingly wants.

I am not happy with the sniper campers so I do two things:

1. I call out the location of campers in Voice Chat to my side. Communication is key in dealing with these parasites.

2. I deny them a target. Once you know where these guys are there are options on every map to minimize their ability to hit you. This is what makes objective play so important. That 80 - 100 ton sniper sitting on a wall unable to hit anything is a lot of wasted firepower. Deny him his effectiveness. Let the rest of his team push in without him and kill them. Once they are gone the snipers are generally easily overrun.

#4 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 September 2024 - 03:13 PM

Map I see come up all the time is Frozen City. Gets annoying after the fourth or fifth time on the same map. Still think a simple fix to this is whatever map you last played on doesn't come up as a selection for your next game. What are the odds that all 24 players in a quick match all had different maps in their last game?

#5 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 27 September 2024 - 09:31 PM

Random is better. Nobody to blame.

#6 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 September 2024 - 11:02 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 27 September 2024 - 09:31 PM, said:

Random is better. Nobody to blame.

So very well said!

+ Make attacker\defender random to in FP finally (dammit!)!

#7 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 28 September 2024 - 12:49 AM

Voting has been implemented as way to fix unplayable maps/modes problem. If devs would want remove voting - they would also need to fix all broken maps.

#8 Al_Bundy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 148 posts
  • LocationBasel

Posted 30 September 2024 - 06:58 AM

that's probably true...but the developers don't do anything except keep offering the same mechs at a very high price...(ok, there have been some completely new ones...but that doesn't make the game any better).

But they don't do anything for:
Faction Play
Maps

And especially with the maps...which make up the game, the passivity is simply incomprehensible.

It seems as if they just don't want to do anything more

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2024 - 07:10 AM

View PostAl_Bundy, on 30 September 2024 - 06:58 AM, said:

that's probably true...but the developers don't do anything except keep offering the same mechs at a very high price...(ok, there have been some completely new ones...but that doesn't make the game any better).

But they don't do anything for:
Faction Play
Maps

And especially with the maps...which make up the game, the passivity is simply incomprehensible.

It seems as if they just don't want to do anything more

There is no "seem" about it. Russ commented a while back that MWO is being operated as essentially a "community service" in favor of actual resources going to MW:5-Clans. So yeah, this game is not a priority; perhaps not even much more than an afterthought. Given such comments, the state of things really shouldn't be all that incomprehensible.

#10 Fragga ONE

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationKøbenhavn

Posted 30 September 2024 - 07:25 AM

View PostAl_Bundy, on 27 September 2024 - 04:17 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but it's really about time that this map voting was finally removed from the game.

Signed. It removes variety and is an annoying timesink.

#11 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2024 - 04:28 PM

Bring back old map voting where you can change your vote as much as you want until timer runs out.

#12 FactorlanP

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 October 2024 - 05:54 PM

Speaking as someone who has just returned to the game.... Map voting is bad... If a cold map appears, guaranteed it will be chosen...

Map voting seems to encourage high dps high heat builds...

Seems to me like more map diversity might encourage more heat efficient builds...

But what do I know

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,983 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 October 2024 - 04:47 AM

Er, in my matches, people hate a lot of cold maps; Alpine Peaks is the worst map in the game, and Mining Collective or Canyon Network routinely win map votes over colder options. People generally like certain maps because of the tactical options, not because they're cold. In fact, map selection isn't that important there. Maps don't make very much of a difference in temperature, for the exact reason that too much variation would invalidate certain builds on the basis of chance. Personally, I like Viridian Bog for how it plays, and vote for it by preference - I have and will play This 'Mech on Viridian Bog, and I really don't notice a heat problem. Heat management means that you're not always holding down the triggers whenever you have a target, anyway, so what differences there are generally just get subsumed in the pace of play,

If high-heat, high-alpha builds are a problem, the solution is to fix the relevant game systems - not randomly punish people with a map.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,777 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:14 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 02 October 2024 - 04:47 AM, said:

If high-heat, high-alpha builds are a problem, the solution is to fix the relevant game systems - not randomly punish people with a map.

This, especially since so many of the maps in this game are....rough

#15 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 819 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2024 - 11:43 AM

View PostAl_Bundy, on 27 September 2024 - 04:17 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I hate this system more than the non-existent matchmaker, because out of 10 games...9 are on the same crappy map (HPG)...and of course the masses of snipers choose it again and again and again so that they can pursue their passion for camping and sniping.

There is nothing wrong with the map voting as it is. Most of the maps that were overhauled were remade intentionally to have that kind of aesthetic involved like it or not. It was primarily the community that wanted this and they got it. Sure, some maps needed to be overhauled but there are maps that we have that have HEAVY FPS issues and that is what most players don't tolerate and that's why maps like HPG are always favored. There will always be sniping in the game. That you have to deal with accordingly.

I've seen other things that are far worse in the game that pure plain Bullsh--t that need to be fixed first. Map Voting is not one of them.

#16 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 04 October 2024 - 06:40 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 02 October 2024 - 04:47 AM, said:

Er, in my matches, people hate a lot of cold maps; Alpine Peaks is the worst map in the game, and Mining Collective or Canyon Network routinely win map votes over colder options. People generally like certain maps because of the tactical options, not because they're cold. In fact, map selection isn't that important there. Maps don't make very much of a difference in temperature, for the exact reason that too much variation would invalidate certain builds on the basis of chance. Personally, I like Viridian Bog for how it plays, and vote for it by preference - I have and will play This 'Mech on Viridian Bog, and I really don't notice a heat problem. Heat management means that you're not always holding down the triggers whenever you have a target, anyway, so what differences there are generally just get subsumed in the pace of play,

Now see, I think Alpine Peaks is one of the best maps in the game. The terrain works for both sniping and brawling, there's plenty of cover . . . but in every quick match everyone runs into the Valley of Death and just . . . meh. I remember years ago when fights on Alpine would be all over the place, like in the cluster of buildings behind the one mountain or spread out thru a couple of the valleys. *sigh*
Viridian Bog is okay, offering again a lot of options, but just like Alpine everyone runs to the same place every time.
Canyon Network and Hybernal Rift (basically the same map) are great for spread-out fights but usually devolve into rotato-potato.
I personally still think it would be cool if the player base could design maps. Yes, most of them would be awful but at least there'd be new ones and some variety. I've always wanted to see a map that was sort of a big strip-mine. High on the outside rim going down to a pit in the middle, with lots of big equipment for cover. Almost like if the new-ish Scrapyard map was bowl-shaped instead of flat.

Edited by Lanzman, 04 October 2024 - 06:42 AM.

#17 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 02:37 PM

Hmmm. Not reading any of the comments, and basing this purely on the title. To remove map voting, could be a good thing. Yeah, a lurm boat on something bad for lurms. Or, me and my CSPL/ERUL'ed build viper in the mountains. Hey, it can get creatice, and it's wouldn't be bad to experience all the damn maps that quick play has to offer.

Add in all the old maps as well, just to give alot more variety! Keeps it from going so stale, especially for those that are dropping 500 plus game a month.

Something I may concider looking at, is doing a skip next map option though. Or not.. It's a thought... Bad, and good in the same thought.

#18 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,983 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 October 2024 - 02:54 PM

View PostLanzman, on 04 October 2024 - 06:40 AM, said:

Now see, I think Alpine Peaks is one of the best maps in the game. The terrain works for both sniping and brawling, there's plenty of cover . . .

No, it does not. Alpine consists of a few ridges, one giant mountain, and a vast amount of open space. It is the most lopsided map in the game for range brackets - even Solaris City isn't as hard on long-range 'mechs as Alpine Peaks is on brawlers. The current spawn points make it better in some modes, but it's still a huge open map where snipers and LRMs can force any close range 'mechs to run a gauntlet of fire to get to them. Players who aren't used to the map, or aren't that up on their tactics might not do that well, but I assure you the people who vote for this monstrosity in higher tiers of matchmaking have their sniper spots all picked out, and they have brought their camping chairs.

#19 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,376 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

I would like to play on a map I know, meaning knowing the conditions before entering the map would allow for selecting the appropriate mech. For instance, entering a night map with hot lava in a black ballistic mech would be cool. On a cold snowy map, I'd prefer entering with white hot lasers. This is something I said a long, long time ago, something I wanted a long, long time ago. But I have no hope that it will ever come true. I don't think there's an administration team that would care enough to change the menu interface. Their aim is simply to maintain the existing game, nothing more. Just simple, small changes like upgrading one weapon and downgrading another. I wish they would also limit the number of light mechs in a match. Entering a match with 10 light mechs is really frustrating. I find it hard to keep track of them.

Does the fact that the company's name is Pirhana Games mean their game needs to feel like a piranha hunt?

Edited by BLACKR0SE, Yesterday, 11:44 AM.

#20 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted Today, 12:26 AM

The only map that's consistently unpopular because of heat is Terra Therma, which is hilarious because as long as you ain't in the lava, it's actually cooler than Rubellite :v

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users