Community QNA 3 - Information Warfare

107 replies to this topic

#21 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

The article mentioned jamming communications. What kind of communications? Text, targetting, perhaps voice chat?

If you do indeed have voice chat in the game, are you adding incentives to use this chat over, say, Skype, Ventrilo, etc?

#22 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

will there be any "Gun-Cam" capacity for pilots to share visual information with each other in the absence of a positive target-lock (ex. Can a Commnder with a C3 master see what his C3-slaved scout sees)?

#23 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostKaemon, on 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

1. Does this mean the BattleGrid is accessible from the HUD in the cockpit, or does it require you to go to a secondary screen (thus obstructing your view of your surroundings)?

I would really like it if I could drag it to a second monitor. Is that technology going to be available?

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 04 January 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#24 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

In the past, games have included an aritificial fog of war to both increase performance and for game play reasons. What is the intended range of a human's Line of sight, and how much farther or closer is that than radar range?

#25 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

When you mention that a target that isn't spotted turns invisible, do you mean actually invisible to the player as well, or just invisible to the information warfare/battlegrid/targeting systems?

(I'm thinking world of tanks here)

#26 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Target information is now exclusively Line of Sight/Detection (LOSD). Simply put, if you, a teammate or support unit can’t directly see or detect a target using a module, that target is invisible.

So how do you gather LOSD information? Well there are several ways.
  • Direct – You can see the target directly (LOSD).

How will the draw distance of graphics affect the LOSD? Will there be a "hard stop" on draw distance, and therefore a max limit to the actual LOSD?

Edit: This question relates to situations like those in MW4 where a Mech could not be seen over 1000m but could be targeted and hit with weapons that had 1200m range. In that case Radar came into play as part of LOSD, but only when a BAP was installed. It also potentially comes into play if client side hardware settings allow for an improved draw distance.

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 05 January 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#27 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

In reference to the Object and Waypoint markers. Will these markers be added by the unit commander or set by the match maker? If they are added by players is this the sole realm of a commander or can all units add to the map?

#28 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

"Players will immediately recognize elements from other successful shooters and previous MechWarrior® products."

Can you expand on what elements from previous Mechwarrior games?

And what other shooters you are taking inspiration from?

I feel this might give us more flavour of what the final end product will be like...

#29 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Will commanders be able to customize the map for all lancemates to see, or will that require a specific module?

#30 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm wondering how exactly will the information be shared? If I try to call out a target will it under some basic tech say "Light 'Mech here" for example versus the a more advanced tech saying "Wolfhound here" ?

#31 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

The article mentioned that the battlegrid also listed orders. Who gets to give out orders? HOW do we give out orders (are they simply picked from a list, or can I type out a specific order)? What sort of incentives to players get for following orders?

#32 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

With all the way to collect information are there natural ways to beat them? For instance if we were battling it out in a harsh blizzard (which I'd love to see) getting SatCom data or UAV data would be difficult if not impossible but trying to get thermal data in a hot environment would be more difficult as well.

You also mentioned urban combat, which is terrible on modern GPS, will that affect being able to share/get information as well?

#33 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

"Each type of detection device may also have different primary or secondary modes of detection as follows:

Thermal Vision – Allows players to see heat signatures that can be detected through obstacles.

Magnetometer Assisted – Allows players to detect metal and metal densities which can uncover a BattleMech hiding behind a building.

If I can use either Heat or Metal detection for large Objects behind buildings why would a Mech have BOTH means (I am assuming a package deal here) Doesn't that mean that having BOTH methods would be moot or are the detection Ranges dissimilar?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 04 January 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#34 Flawless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Will the non-Battlemech combatants be piloted by players or AI?

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

You mentioned information interception: can UAV, satalite, or other kinds of non-chat information be intercepted? What about chat-related information (i.e. listening-in while the enemy barks out orders to their squads)?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#36 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

If my Merc Corps gets a contract with the Lyran Commonwealth, would the Lyrans be able to see the Melissa Steiner pin-ups in my cockpit?

That might soil the deal...

#37 Ironchild

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Will players be able to update the BattleGrid in game or will there be time Beffor a match starts for players to interact with the Battle Grid like a Mission Briefing? If they can, spacificly, will players have the chance to choose starting grids, position support units, and place markers on the map befor the game starts?

#38 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Are we talking strictly in mech Information Warfare? Along with C3 and jamming, there are other types of info warfare.

If I'm a merc and Im about to go on a mission, I usually get a misson brief from spooks or employer intel. So how about some sort of system that will allow certain players or units get better info on their missions (like unit deployments and dispositions, etc). I.E., a unit with bad intel, or bad relationship with their employer, gets basic Intel that says X unit is defending the objective, while a unit with better intel connection or relationships with their employer gets "X unit is there and they have two lances of light mechs in a state of disrepair" etc etc etc.....

Also what about disinformation campaigns between Houses about what units are where and things like that? That will help in deciding where you attack and why.

Also what about HPGs? Communication between systems? Is that just a given? No Comstar Interdictions? A planet is under assult and the HPG link is cut off, so they cant get any real info out about the invaders and what they are doing? This is very much what happened when the Clans Invaded the Periphery........

Who ever has the better intel will be more successful in the end. Now THATS Information Warfare.

#39 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

LOSD

Can I shoot an opponent on sight (LOS) manual mode, even if my comp doesn't provided a lock (D= detection)?
Or means LOS=D detection? Talking about pilot skill set and Mech skill set.

#40 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Ok if i am a scout with LOSD on an enemy mech do i need LOSD on my lance to relay that info?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users