ISN News Flash

12 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Tue. Jan 5, 3049: Rumors of unrest within 3rd Ghost continue to mount; Bureau of Substitution will not comment on biased transfers.

#2 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

That's what you get for recruiting mobsters I guess.

#3 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Bad news for the 3rd Ghost Regiment. Already controversial after their inception, the 3rd Ghost has had it harder than most. Formed from the Nezumi (Rat) Yakuza faction, the 3rd Ghost Regiment suffered a massive reversal in fortune in 3040 after Yasir Nezumi, oyabun of the Yakuza clan, decided to have Coordinator Takashi Kurita assassinated in the mistaken belief it was what Theodore wanted. Theodore prevented the attempt, and the kuromaku (the liason to the Combine) of the time, Piotr Hitsu, killed Yasir Nezumi. Following this, the 3rd Ghost fell spectacularly from grace with the DCMS as they were all tarred with the same brush. This suspicion did little to endear the DCMS to the 3rd Ghost, who have since pursued as isolationist a policy as possible.

Edited by Ghost, 05 January 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#4 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

The oyabun responsible for staffing the unit committed suicide after misunderstanding one of Theodore's wishes.

So, is this the whole "Piotr Hitsu, killed Yasir Nezumi" thing, with different propaganda/lack of information (suicide is different from killing)? If it's a different misunderstanding, they really need to work on their interpersonal communication.

Edited by Dihm, 05 January 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostDihm, on 05 January 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

So, Ghost, what year does this actually happen in? That's one heck of a misunderstanding. :D

Or is this the whole "Piotr Hitsu, killed Yasir Nezumi" thing, with different propaganda?

It happened in the Heir to the Dragon novel around the time shortly after the War of 3039 where Theodore pushed the DCMS to its limits during the counterattack after being named Kanrei. It was before Theodore had any reconciliation with his father, and his subordinate took Theodore's extreme displeasure at his father's meddling as a sign that he should have Takashi killed (in typical Yakuza/Mafia fashion, you don't usually say to someone "boy I'd love to see that guy killed," they instead talk about how much easier life would be without person X).

Oh, and the suicide/killed thing has to do with the ritual of harakiri, where the individual mortally wounds himself, but then an assistant kills him, typically by cutting off his head. Piotr cut off his own finger in front of the Kanrei along with delivering the oyabun's head to Theodore. Yikes.

Edited by Ghost, 05 January 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#6 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Wasn't there an English king who got in trouble for that exact same thing, wishing a certain Bishop of Canterbury or something was no longer an issue and three of his knights taking it upon themselves to murder him? The exact king escapes my memory.

Psst, you missed my edit too, I had to re-read things a few times to make sure I was making sense of things, the suicide vs killed thing threw me off.

Edited by Dihm, 05 January 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#7 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Theodore's machinations to get his Yakuza "friends" into the Arm of the Dragon is beginning to show cracks.
The Dragon does not need murderers and theives to defend its territory.

#8 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostPhalanx, on 05 January 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Theodore's machinations to get his Yakuza "friends" into the Arm of the Dragon is beginning to show cracks.

No, especially when they have Star League-era BattleMechs 'loaned' to them from a certain Techno-mystic organization... :P

#9 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostGhost, on 05 January 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Bad news for the 3rd Ghost Regiment. Already controversial after their inception, the 3rd Ghost has had it harder than most. Formed from the Nezumi (Rat) Yakuza faction, the 3rd Ghost Regiment suffered a massive reversal in fortune in 3040 after Yasir Nezumi, oyabun of the Yakuza clan, decided to have Coordinator Takashi Kurita assassinated in the mistaken belief it was what Theodore wanted. Theodore prevented the attempt, and the kuromaku (the liason to the Combine) of the time, Piotr Hitsu, killed Yasir Nezumi. Following this, the 3rd Ghost fell spectacularly from grace with the DCMS as they were all tarred with the same brush. This suspicion did little to endear the DCMS to the 3rd Ghost, who have since pursued as isolonationist a policy as possible.

Actually its the other way around - the loyalty of the 3rd to the DCMS died with their Oyabun. Their "Questionable" rating is more or less self imposed.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 05 January 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#10 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostPhalanx, on 05 January 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

I agree, maybe you should let House Steiner in to defend your territory.

#11 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostDihm, on 05 January 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Wasn't there an English king who got in trouble for that exact same thing, wishing a certain Bishop of Canterbury or something was no longer an issue and three of his knights taking it upon themselves to murder him? The exact king escapes my memory.

Thomas Becket! That was the guy! Archbishop of Canterbury. Henry II was the king.

The most commonly quoted, as handed down by "oral tradition", is "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?", but according to historian Simon Schama this is incorrect: he accepts the account of the contemporary biographer Edward Grim, writing in Latin, who gives us "What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who let their lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric?" Many variations have found their way into popular culture.

Whatever Henry said, it was interpreted as a royal command, and four knights, Reginald FitzUrse, Hugh de Morville, William de Tracy, and Richard le Breton, set out to confront the Archbishop of Canterbury.

#12 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostDihm, on 05 January 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Thomas Becket! That was the guy! Archbishop of Canterbury. Henry II was the king.

I thought that was Archbishop Edmund of Blackadder.

#13 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Phalanx@ Those 'Murderers and Thieves' are citizens of Draconis Combine. We, in 5th Ghost, keep our loyalty to the Dragon and enjoy all new equipment. About 3rd Ghost, I think 'misunderstandigs' inspired by Kokuryu-kai.

Damocles@ How about Skye Separatists, may be Coordinator can help to protect your territories? DCMS are always ready to help.

Edited by Glorius, 06 January 2012 - 01:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users