MW:O

26 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

http://mwomercs.com/.../13-dev-blog-0/

so TLDR: WoT with Mechs.

I hope you have some respect for the legacy and community of Mechwarrior and all the energy individuals have put into it.

And please play both MW4 and MW3 and understand why those games are loved and still played today.

Understand that if was not for our dedication through the years this opportunity would not exist for you, if this is simply a cash cow we will just go back to WoT and PlanetSide2 when its out.

Edited by tyrant, 31 October 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Maybe you should go read it before posting... a TL:DR should not cut it when it comes to some announcement like this. Way to just jump the gun and not even poke your nose in the information, instead you go and snob it. Go read it first :)

#3 HooDoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTX, USA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I did read the announcement blog and I have to sort of agree with OP here. F2P is not really what I was hoping for from this IP but I am willing to give it a chance because lets face it, all the previous MW titles were F2P(minus the cost of the original game). I am just concerned, like the OP, that this will turn into one of those F2P micro transaction cash cow games such as STO, DDO, LotRO. Keep that cr@p out of this game it it will be just fine.

Don't get me wrong I am still way excited for the news but the mention of F2P did take the wind from my sails just a tad. Will I give it a try no matter what? You bet I will! But that being said once it goes with micro transactions like WoT and the other aforementioned games I will be gone.

Edited by hoodoo, 31 October 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#4 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Urban Combat to address circle strafing and long range sniping.

The twp key features that have defined the last 2 true MW games.

Dynamic Battlefield further expanded on the concepts of Urban Combat and mechs having roles.

Marketing buzz words.

It would be designed for the Xbox 360 and PC

Mech Assault again? Cant really snipe on an Xbox pad can you. ^^

The game would take place on the planet Deshler, in the year 3015. Single player would revolve around Adrian Kohl and his exploits during an invasion by Kuritan forces.

No outside league integration. The single reason why we have continued to play is because of outside leagues and the communities within them.

Solve some of the long standing gameplay issues from previous MechWarrior games.

There were none, other than bad latency, but making it an online service would create a long term revenue stream and feed of all of the long standing mech communities to generate guarantee $$$ figures on a financial report.

we decided to spend some time researching what a free-to-play (F2P) MechWarrior game would look like

^^

I am worried that this game will not live up to what we all expect MW5 to be after MW4 and MW3.

Edited by tyrant, 31 October 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#5 Legionnaire

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Agree with tyrant all the way.

#6 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

To be fair I think the Deshler 3015 thing has been binned... there's no way we're supposed to be representing the IS with merc companies on one unimportant planet somewhere in the fed suns.

The urban combat thing needs to be an option instead of a constant. Yes, we can have nice buildings now (we could in the MW4 era too, FASA / MSGS were just terrible at game engines). Doesn't mean every part of every planet worth fighting for is a built up city, and for gameplay reasons the lack of proper tactical ranged combat is a deal breaker.

No, brawling is not tactical, ever.

#7 chrisy05

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Yes, it's been binned already:

Q. What year is MechWarrior® Online™ taking place?

A. MechWarrior® Online™ is running an offset timeline of the BattleTech® Universe. As of this writing it is 2011 and the year is 3048 within the game. In 2012, when the game is launched, it will be 3049.

Edited by chrisy05, 31 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#8 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Right, which explains why there's clans all of a sudden.

Guess they're just the bad guys this game. All good, keeps things simpler than giving one group of players outright better mechs. Provided, this being a reboot, they are still better rather than just different now.

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

Urban Combat to address circle strafing and long range sniping.

So building/hill humping or straight up rushing are the two tactics then, rather than mixing it up with varied play styles.
Balance the weapons properly and include game mechanics (JJ wobble to make jump sniping harder etc) and it does not need to be all urban warfare.

#10 Sirius

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

Urban combat is also great for making PPCs, LRMs and the like completely worthless. Unless you can hop from building-top to building-top like Superman looking for lines of sight that make use of the range. I think an interesting variety of visibility distances can be achieved without resorting to city everything as long as you make things like trees a decent height for once (in MW4 they were pretty diminutive).

Honestly, I'd more prefer to see sidestepping. Real humans can do it - why not these things that are modelled after them?

#11 Grave

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

View Posttyrant, on 31 October 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

The twp key features that have defined the last 2 true MW games.

And strongly encouraged the "OMFG ASSAULTB0AT" strategy, followed closely by the "OMFG, JUMPSNIPE LOLOL!!!11! strategy.

Mech Assault again? Cant really snipe on an Xbox pad can you. ^^

You realize they dropped console availablity, right? This is a PC only game at this time.

No outside league integration. The single reason why we have continued to play is because of outside leagues and the communities within them.

True, but then we've also had no new game in almost a decade. Bringing in ossified leagues with cliques and power structures intact would instantly turn off new players. We need a clean slate. The strong from the old will recoagulate and eventually dominate, hopefully with a large dose of fresh blood.

^^

I am worried that this game will not live up to what we all expect MW5 to be after MW4 and MW3.

I'm concerned, but perhaps for different reasons.

#12 OpisWahn

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Well, lets see what comes. I have great hopes, but after alot big announcements in the last years, which turned out be be a knee-fall for the mainstream i have my concerns...

**edit** Well, i think it can't be any worse than Mech Assault :)

Edited by OpisWahn, 01 November 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

View PostGrave, on 01 November 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

And strongly encouraged the "OMFG ASSAULTB0AT" strategy, followed closely by the "OMFG, JUMPSNIPE LOLOL!!!11! strategy.

In opens assault boats were common, and usualy amongst the worst players on the server, as 9/10 standard vertical jumping.

In league play, no ofc there were boats and unless things are restrictive in MW:O there will be boats here too. But league play was dynamic with varied tactics and counter tactics based around Map,radar,visability settings.

As to league play putting off new players think your way off on that, its what has kept MW4 going for the past 10 years, a new game brings about new leagues if the game is compatible unlike World of Tanks which runs its own.

#14 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

No! Please don't play MW4!

#15 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

I played on no-respawn forced first person servers exclusively since about '04, so I've never seen pop-sniping assaults get anything but slaughtered in a while. Might be different on respawn servers.

#16 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

I would like to point out that a F2P model doesn't automatically means lesser quality gaming experience. There are shining examples of sustainable models in the market already. There are of course shining examples of those that are epic fail as well, but we need to acknowledge it's not an automatic write off. We really should treat it as such, in so far as to say that we sit the entire thing to one side and concentrate on the things that will help build a better game for release.

They have the funds now, they have projected f2p v sub numbers (market research etc) to back it up and they are taking a risk not us. Let's at least try to help them reduce the risk by focusing in on how to improve the lore, mechanics, aesthetics etc rather than simply sitting on opposite sides of the F2P fence line taking shots at each other... sound ok?

Edited by Dozer, 01 November 2011 - 04:29 AM.

#17 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostGrave, on 01 November 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

..stuff..

MW4 meh: www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oOlC2Zmr6eo
MW4 rox: www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lU0c_HxV0

User experience differed alot based on where people played, however once most found a league and people to play with in a tactical environment that had consequences they end up staying for the long haul.

Edited by tyrant, 01 November 2011 - 05:09 AM.

#18 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

You don't need to point out to WoT players that F2P can work. hehe

#19 Ikarus

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Sorry, but I play Mechwarrior for a totally different reason than you do. The instant gratification of arcade style twitch gaming is not one of them.

The all encompassing grandeur of the Battetech universe can't be experienced in 4 vs 4 Solaris VII style combat. Flying your Jumpship across the universe and landing your dropship near an enemy factory to steal mech parts that they only produce and fighting off the enemy as you make you escape is what Battletech is all about to me.

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostIkarus, on 01 November 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

Sorry, but I play Mechwarrior for a totally different reason than you do. The instant gratification of arcade style twitch gaming is not one of them.

The all encompassing grandeur of the Battetech universe can't be experienced in 4 vs 4 Solaris VII style combat. Flying your Jumpship across the universe and landing your dropship near an enemy factory to steal mech parts that they only produce and fighting off the enemy as you make you escape is what Battletech is all about to me.

Think you may have missed the point entirely, this is precisely what we are talking about when we say open games are entirely different from league play, League play is where the longevitiy of the game is and is what is needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users