Restrictions for merc corps naming

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Restrictions for merc corps naming + naming convention (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Should well-known units' names be available for players' corporations naming?

1. No way. We don't need pathetic losers disgracing loud names. (36 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

2. F... yeah! I wanna lead my cool '<insert your variant> Clan'/Wolf Dragoon's/Gray Death Legion/whatsoever... (4 votes [7.02%])

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

3. I don't borther with target's name. Skill matters. (2 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

4. Yes for famous units' names, No for gibberish corp names. (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

Do you want to see another Wolf Clan, Northwind Highlanders and other famous units' names from the background kept in some private hands?

My expectations:
  • some naming convention for players' corporations, preventing players from usage of most famous units' names (sorry for refrain, English isn't my native)
  • possibility to join unit of choice from lore via high faction standing or sub-contract (i.e. top Kurita players may join 1st Genyosha after some achievement)
  • some rewards for lone wolfs based on ranking system (i.e. invitation to NPC unit with some history behind it, let's say Death Commandos for Liao aligned players)
Cheers!

Edited by IxxxI, 10 January 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#2 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

The simple fact is, there is no reason a player should be upset that they are not alloud to have a 'lore' merc unit. Devs already stated they were going to lock down some of the unit names and I think they should. Not becuase I think some one is going to mess it up, but becuase I the devs have a plan for them.

as far as naming convention restrictions? Absolutly. Otherwise you end up with 'the ***** lickers' or something inapropreat. or 'gay death legion'

i mean really? There is no need for this, and as a franchise that is going to be open for a younger audiance, i think its ok to keep an ESBR rating for them.

#3 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

It looks like, that the fact about locked unit names has evaded my attention. Thanks for pointing.

#4 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

I want to lead the 3rd Arcturan Lancers, and I'll be damned if anyone tries to stop me! >:/

Edited by Gattling Fenn, 08 January 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't care either way. If we have a Wolf's Dragoons unit that is beaten in every battle, so be it. If it is a locked unit I don't care as well, because the people can still roleplay to be in said units.

#6 TKDelta

• Pip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

While I would love to see some of the more notable Merc units become available for play (WD, GDL), I suspect that the devs will keep it locked down for the time being. However, that being said, I see no reason why people can't assume the names of sub-units in said locked merc operations (ie: Alpha Regement, Snord's Irregulars, etc.).

Fingers crossed that we do get to play as some of the more notable merc units though.

#7 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think for the Mercenary Commands which had planetary holdings at least, they should be locked down totally or opened up as minor factions which function as the IS houses do, just with limited capacity and overall resources. It's basically the same situation as with the houses though. What would you do if they where themselves player controlled, being handed out on a first come, first serve basis? I expect the clans will also be factions, so to stem the flow of welps and tears which would ensue if they we're handed out to who ever sighed up and registered to play as that given faction.

#8 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I don't care so long as the words "Pony" and "Brony" as well as some of the upper-scale curses are blocked out.

#9 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Cannon units should be locked down. Players with a certain loyalty level should receive invitations to join a cannon unit. The truly elite units like the Davion Guards and Kurita Ghost Regiments should have invitations going out to only really skilled and incredibly loyal players.

#10 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

There is annother option as well. Besides that there might be Merc units locked down and unplayable.. you may have to have your own merc unit sponsered by an existing NPC(cannon) merc unit. LIke in the star of mechwarrior 4 single player campaign, you chose which unit you were supported by, and then you named your own merc unit.

So if you have an option of being sponsered by Gray Death Legion.. kinda makes there being no point in being Gray Death Legion 123413

Edited by Omigir, 08 January 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#11 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I would like to join my favourite MErc Corps as well, but anyway I dont want to see the names disgraced by some jerks. No offense. But I hope if someone knows the names and uses them it is a person with enough spine to kick less intelligent and honorable persons immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 08 January 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Cannon units should be locked down. Players with a certain loyalty level should receive invitations to join a cannon unit. The truly elite units like the Davion Guards and Kurita Ghost Regiments should have invitations going out to only really skilled and incredibly loyal players.

This is something I like.
Lock the canon unit names (merc and house alike).
Then allow players to send "applications" to different house units depending on their time with the house. (nothing so formal, its in name only, really. Just a click and you are in). If you have spent enough time with this unit you get the choice to create a sub-unit (example: 5th Donegal Guards, battalion epsilon), including its nickname and maybe logo if we get the ability to upload unit logos.
The higher your loyalty ranking the higher the unit you can join (look at the house readouts. Start with the questionable loyalty units, then take stable ones, last one should be the ones listed as fanatical and the ones listed as elite).
That should satisfy both groups, the ones that want to be in the davion assault guards and the ones that do not want to see players as said units. (since the "true canon" ones would still be locked.)

Do the same with canon merc units.
Start as small merc company xyz, get a reputation for yourself simply by playing, get "sponsorship" from a canon merc unit of your choice (again, more important merc units take longer time), get accepted into your canon merc unit as a sub-unit.

#13 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

I am neither for or against the idea of name locking. however, in either case, to play devil's advocate, what's to stop the following:

Wulves Dragoons

Wolf's Dragons

Wolfie's Dragoons

Wolf's Dragoonz

Kelll Hounds

Kell Hunds

Kell Houndz

Kael Hounds

Hanson's Roughriders

Hansun's Roughriders

Hansen's Ruffriders

and so on, ad nauseum

Edited by VYCanis, 09 January 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#14 Cong Min Voronkov

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 08 January 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Also, on a side note. I love it that this is yet ANOTHER post where the term 'loser' is spelled 'looser'.

Korekt speling iz juzt a sine ov know emagination! ^_^

#15 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostVYCanis, on 09 January 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I am neither for or against the idea of name locking. however, in either case, to play devil's advocate, what's to stop the following:

It's pretty easy to build a filter to cover all that stuff. If anything slips through, I'm sure they'll be a report feature, and the admins can make them rename.

#16 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 08 January 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Also, on a side note. I love it that this is yet ANOTHER post where the term 'loser' is spelled 'looser'.

I see no problem here, mispelling has been corrected.

#17 Troma Lorane

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

im for the lock of historical names both player and corp. let the historicals be npcs with the possibilty of being able to join them in late game.

#18 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

With the Devs need to control in game info as per the Canon, it seems only reasonable to have them either, allow some Canon outfits to form, and then force them to follow the exact history of that Outfit as per the Canon, or Lock out some and then simply report their activities within the IS via the News.

One seems so much much simpler than the other, so much so as to be a no-brainer really.

#19 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

No way people should be allowed to use canon unit or people names or act like 10 year olds by having slightly mispeled varients of them.

View PostIxxxI, on 06 January 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

• some naming convention for players' corporations, preventing players from usage of most famous units' names (sorry for refrain, English isn't my native)
  • possibility to join unit of choice from lore via high faction standing or sub-contract (i.e. top Kurita players may join 1st Genyosha after some achievement)
  • some rewards for lone wolfs based on ranking system (i.e. invitation to NPC unit with some history behind it, let's say Death Commandos for Liao aligned players)

Do however like these ideas. If a group of players want to be in a famous unit together let them earn the right to be a company in a famous house regiment, a cluster of a Clan Galaxy and the merc equivilent.

#20 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I would like to see their titles. nothing is better then knowing you took down the leader of their pack or that you destroyed two of their best players. i'd like the satisfaction of smearing a good name.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users