What is the Min-Max range on the LRM

27 replies to this topic

#1 Simey

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Anyone know what the min/max range is on the LRM's?

#2 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sounds like useless info without other weapon specs to compare.

#3 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think last we heard LRMs max range was around 630 meters?

Min range, 180m?

#4 Rushyo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I remember hearing 100m, but who knows what's changed since then - assuming my pending-adled brain is still accurate enough to be trusted?

#5 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Watch the heavy mech breakdown video. Russ mentions the minimum range in the voiceover, & you'll see maximum range when the missiles lock on.

http://mwomercs.com/...deo/sWBOIh078aY

#6 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSoviet Alex, on 23 July 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Watch the heavy mech breakdown video. Russ mentions the minimum range in the voiceover, & you'll see maximum range when the missiles lock on.

http://mwomercs.com/...deo/sWBOIh078aY

I think thats the video where he mentions he is waiting for the targeted mech to come within 640m before he can shoot and later he mentions another targeted mech was not within 200m so I would think that the answers would be Max 640m minumum 200m

#7 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Minimum is 6 hexes, maximum is 21.
So, if each hex is meant to represent 30 meters (I think that's right?), then the minimum would be 180m and the max would be 630m as Bacon said.

#8 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

180m could be right but that seems big for a minimum range doesn't it? I've been watching closely but haven't been able to see this either in any video's so far.

#9 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 23 July 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

180m could be right but that seems big for a minimum range doesn't it? I've been watching closely but haven't been able to see this either in any video's so far.

Go to the link and watch the video [color="#ffa504"]http://mwomercs.com/...deo/sWBOIh078aY[/color]
don't try to see it, turn in the sound and listen what Russ says, he plainly says he is waiting until the target is within 640 meters before he fires the LRM and later in the video he plainly says that a targeted enemy is still beyond 200 meters so he could still fire at it
so max range 640m that means you chances of a hit beyond 640 rudeced
so minumum range 200m that means your chances of a hit inside 200 reduced

#10 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

no thats not definitive. he says something like "and mech is out and 200 meters so I can still launch missiles at him". that doesn't mean min is 200m.

#11 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 23 July 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

They're called LONG range missiles for a reason...

#12 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 23 July 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

no thats not definitive. he says something like "and mech is out and 200 meters so I can still launch missiles at him". that doesn't mean min is 200m.

then why would he choose 200 why not quote the actual range at the time, he just pulled that number out of his A**

#13 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

actually he says about the mech "see is is over 200m still so I can still fire my missels" a pretty good indication that the minumum range is 200 since that mech was at 375m when he said that

#14 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

730m ^_^

#15 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I give up

#16 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

The correct answer is 5.
The LRM5 has the greatest damage-to-weight ratio of the LRM range of missiles, making it the min-maxiest (although it could be argued that the LRM20 has the best heat-to-damage ratio and hard point efficiency).

#17 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Here's a thought:

This is a parameter subject to balancing changes, and none of those who know its current status are allowed to post about it. I'm fairly sure that the current number is different from what was quoted in that months-old video.

#18 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Keep in mind the game is still in Beta so the numbers may change depending on balance, best bet is to just go with what the Table Top rules are.

#19 Lavi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostChillybill, on 23 July 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Go to the link and watch the video [color=#ffa504]http://mwomercs.com/...deo/sWBOIh078aY[/color]
don't try to see it, turn in the sound and listen what Russ says, he plainly says he is waiting until the target is within 640 meters before he fires the LRM and later in the video he plainly says that a targeted enemy is still beyond 200 meters so he could still fire at it
so max range 640m that means you chances of a hit beyond 640 rudeced
so minumum range 200m that means your chances of a hit inside 200 reduced

I know what I'm going to say is a little asking too much for a video game and not a simulator.

but...

it would be awesome if the missiles got a "solid" lock if telemetry says it's within max and min range. But a tempting lock be adquired for ranges outside that range.

Let me explain (I think someone would explain it better.. but I will try)

If a Cicada, running 130kmh is running towards you, you should be able to launch those missiles even at 700 m (i'm just gessing, don't know the supposed velocity of the missiles), knowing that if the Cicada is not maneovering, target and missiles will meet between min/max range and explode.

similar goes on the opposite.
You have a solid lock on a fast mech running away from you. you launch those missiles in max range, or sllightly less. But the velocity of the target makes the impact point farther than the max range... in this case, the missiles would have to fall to earth or at least, explode midair

Even if missiles are fire & forget (no visual/radar contact required to maintain the lock for the missiles), a slight maneuvre on a fast target will make the missiles react and burn more fuel. hence making max range even smaller

What I'm trying to say... is there any "real world" logic/maths applied to missiles lock-on, emplyment range, pK min max,

Addendum:

I'm not trying to breach battletech TT canon nor TT rules.

just trying to feel myself a little more in a mech simulator.

#20 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Lavi, watch the linked video.

At 0:50 you can clearly see the Catapult acquiring a missile lock on a Hunchback at 1050 meters distance. I expect that you can in fact get missile locks on anything your scout is lighting up for you, no matter where it is (provided there isn't an universal targeting distance limit).

It's up to you to decide when to fire your missiles.

So yes, I'd guess that it is in fact possible to fire early if you see a scout run towards you and have him run straight into the missile cloud. Unless, of course, he notices you launching beyond maximum range and pulls a sharp left to stay out of range until the volley has expired in midair...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users