How about extremely bright, blinding flares?

45 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you feel about blinding flare weapons? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO contain a bright flare-weapon that bleaches out your vision for a short time?

1. Yes (25 votes [29.76%])

Percentage of vote: 29.76%

2. No (31 votes [36.90%])

Percentage of vote: 36.90%

3. Maybe so (28 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Flares would only have use in night fighting inviroments. You couldn't blind a pilot with it as the mech cockpits are shielded against extremely bright light.

#22 PyroAcid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCalifornia,Sierra nevada moutains,U.S.A

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

mech flashbangs hell yes! this whould help with brawlers chargeing snipers but its not op becouse snipers could use them as defence :lol: but onley as ablity of the mech not massing the launchers of bangs and totaly frying pc screens or tv plasma screens . chromehounds had this porblem they called it the romen candel mech it was just wheels with 16 flare launchers on it and on dark maps whould blind you and possbly perma fry your screen.

#23 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

lol...Flares?

maybe if you need RAC or AAA to come fix a flat tire!

#24 Skygrunt

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

I'm not sure about mech flash bangs but deception weapons such as smoke sound like a good idea

#25 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Memo to self: buy new pair of shades. :P

#26 T0RC4ED

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Flares yes
Flashbang... yes, but minimal effect...and very limited supply... last thing we want is a flash bang lobbing match
REMEMBER, Mechs have a targeting computer LRMs and things like that will still work.

#27 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

I would assume all mechs have the same sort of technology our night vision goggles use. When they get hit with bright light they flick off or polarize to be more like welding glasses.

#28 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostMilitantMonk, on 11 January 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

I would assume all mechs have the same sort of technology our night vision goggles use. When they get hit with bright light they flick off or polarize to be more like welding glasses.

That's what i've always assumed happens. I remember reading in the books how weapons fire or glare would burn out Low Light or IR vision and the pilot had to switch over to another vision mode to see.

#29 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 10 January 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Many videogames have some kind of weapon acting as a bright, flashing flare that bleaches-out your vision for a short time.

"Many games"? I've only seen this in a handful of FPS games, Battlefield, COD, Rainbow Six, etc. The fact that flashbangs are in those games doesn't mean they belong in MWO.

Also...

View PostThorn Hallis, on 11 January 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Flares would only have use in night fighting inviroments. You couldn't blind a pilot with it as the mech cockpits are shielded against extremely bright light.

Seriously, if a high-energy laser can hit the head/vision blocks of your mech and not permanently blind you, then there is no way a flare should.

View PostRalinos, on 10 January 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

What about non-combat flares? If I'm scouting and come across a lance that's running passive-sensors and dark, launching a flare to light up where there are would work wonders.

Using flares for target marking in night-time combat sounds perfectly fine, even desirable. I'd be ok if they were to "wash out" IR/Night vision a bit, too.

But no mech flashbangs.

#30 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Really guys? flash bangs? in a MechWarrior game??!?!?!? Are you out of your mind?

First off, the gameplay reason; flash bangs are freaking lame and would not fit in with Mechwarrior at all, it would either be exploited to large degree and hated by the vast majority of players, or be nerfed to hell and never used, thus being a waste of the developer's time.

Second, the realism reason; flash bangs work on humans by over whelming the senses, doing something as simple as wearing a welding mask and noise canceling headphones nullifies them. And you are not blinded when you see a bright flash on a TV monitor, or rendered def when you hear an annoying screech sound on your speakers, so what the hell would a load noise/bright light do to a freaking mech? Flashbangs are not used against tanks, so why would they work against a mech, it goes on and on....

Edited by Alaskan Viking, 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#31 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I was going to vote No to flashbangs, and then I thought about another use for the flare.
A substitute for searchlights during night maps. Fire off several to illuminate an area, your mech getting semi-lit from firing then fading into the darkness again while your flares are lighting up a small area. It would be useful for mechs that want to stay more stealthy at night and not rely on night vision or big blaring searchlights that give away your position.
They could also throw false positives on a thermal sensor.

#32 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Maybe they could add an illumination round flar as a commander ability? Otherwise I would rather have smoke...

#33 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

The FWLM introduced incendiary LRM to light up the battlefield (target hex and the surrounding hexes) to negate the effects of night fighting.

We'll see if this will make its way into MWO.

#34 Gaizokubanou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

My Lexus has windows coated so that even high beams won't bother my eyes.

Jump ahead 1000 years into the future with mechs having energy weapons and gauss cannons powered by fusion reactor, and now I'm blinded by some flares?

What. Is. This.

#35 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Possibility: Flair could be somthing you fire some distance in front of a battle mech. (rather then at it.) Once it hits the ground it fire a an explosive that opops up and explods/flashes at 'about' eye level with a battle mech.

Also, if the flair bursts fast enough, still might be enough to blind the pilot before his glass tints.. but at the same time, lasers would do the same thing.

#36 Kagekun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

The only flares in MW are illumination rounds fired from artillery pieces. Throwing flashbangs would be useless if the mechwarrior is using MAG scans anyway.

#37 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

I'm cool with flares that make Thermal or Light Amplification useless for a short time. Common light flares are a giant hells naw.

By the look of the pre-teaser, smoke should be pretty effective as a visual disadvantage. Also if the simulation is done well enough then you would expect a certain amount of blindness from both launching weapons and being hit.

#38 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 10 January 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

NO on giant robot flash bangs,
YES on smoke and ECM.

So the flash is the flare, and what's the bang? Oh wait that's my AC20 to your face. Seriously though, has anyone ever seen a mech flashbang, no? Then keep them out, flares are what is canon, so leave it at that.

#39 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

All I have to say is this....

Posted Image

#40 vasile