Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#341 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

im liking the idea of having a 2nd spawn as a different mech
but i would think it should be forced to be of a different class to prevent mass assault mechs / encourage a scaling battle

also, perhaps it should only be available if your team owns the correct assets
... ie, a dropship, mech hanger, mobile repair bay, static repair bay or palace
if you own the correct team asset you can take another spawn, if it is destroyed or captured you cannot use your second life

this could even be dependent on the state of your planetary assault, reinforcing a fresh invasion will be harder than if you have an established beach head
this worked very well in battlefield 2, commander assets could be destroyed that denied its functions (satellite scan, artillery, supply drop)

its the same premise but its a respawn control , i think people will understand it quite quickly
also , sometimes it just wont be worth attacking.... a heavily armed dropship is a difficultly target id think

#342 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

To help solve this problem the developers, after yesterdays playtesting, have declared all matches have a maximum timer of 1 minute. That's right! You now have 60 seconds to do everything in the game.

Really?!??!

#343 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 14 January 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

To help solve this problem the developers, after yesterdays playtesting, have declared all matches have a maximum timer of 1 minute. That's right! You now have 60 seconds to do everything in the game.

Really?!??!

But-but what if I die in the first 5 seconds? I'll have an entire 55 seconds of doing nothing. :)

#344 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

Other than thinking *** happened? (The answer from the playtesting was backshot by one of your own side - so FF is in at the moment :))

#345 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostRavn, on 12 January 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

You answered your own question there. The enemy knows where I am after the initial contact... so the first part of the game is about information and electronic warfare. If this doesn't set the stage to cause victory or defeat, it is useless to me. Information warfare is useless with respawn. Can I get a "like" in this mother-?

Ok Ravn, we both know, I'm not your Mom, but I like your thinking anyway.
There's some undeniable logic behind your arguing. The point is, if Paul, David and Bryan or who ever , ...goes for the no respawn approach, .... shortens play time a lot! We face a fast paced rush against the clock. I bet fear . Adrenalin is key - suspense gaming.
That's not what I portrait as being a Mech jockey.....
We need more time.

S!

"Here they come....." " We got one ......we need more time."

Edited by Odin, 14 January 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#346 MitchellTyner

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 14 January 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

Really?!??!

Please say your joking

#347 Mana211

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTN, USA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

View PostDeamented, on 10 January 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

So, I'm playing a scout and doing my job, when another scout (Perhaps a better player, perhaps just one with the luck of the fox.) sneaks up on me, and TAG's me. The Catapult off in the distance unloads, the scout unloads, and everything else gets me, Boom. A luck crit and so much damage, I'm gone. We are 5 minutes in the match, and I'm dead. What do I do for the rest of the match? Sit around and do nothing? Chat with my allies pointlessly? 15 minutes is a long time (Assuming it doesn't end fast with 5 vs 4)

We need something to do

Go pee, grab a Coke or a beer, grab some pizza, tons of things you can do between matches.

Oh, and you'll still have access to the mech custimization / money / whatever is outside of battles interface so you can be fixing / buying / thinking about your next mech. You don't have to stare at a blank screen or watch the battle if you don't want to.

#348 B Airborne

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

I feel that no respawn would be best, but people should be able to be infantry IF they were able to eject in time to not go up in flames with their mech. That would give people a reason to eject and would make them pay more attention to their mech's "health".

#349 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostMitchellTyner, on 14 January 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Please say your joking

Nah, he's role-playing Saruman. :P

60 seconds is obviously far too long, a match time of 15 seconds will totally do. You can do enough scouting in 15 seconds to make a light Mech worth its money. :)

#350 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 13 January 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

If this whole faction warfare concept is going to work, then death cannot be cheap. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive either, but it shouldn't be cheap. If during a battle, your 'Mech gets blown out from under you, then you should be out of the battle permanently. No respawning. Heavily damaged 'Mechs should be able to return to base for repairs or to rearm during the battle, but once you're all the way out, you should be out.

Once out of that battle, you should certainly have the option of a) waiting for your 'Mech to be repaired by your personal technician (this time can spent offline); :) paying a premium for a rush repair job and join another battle; c) get another 'Mech from your stable and join another battle. Which option you choose should be determined by your available playing time and your resources.

^This! this is the Mechwarrior Battletech standard I thin. This is a Simulator standard. This is good.

As a side bar note, THE GAME SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER SACRIFICE ITS GAME PLAY TO MAKE ITSELF 'MORE PLAYABLE'
<Microsoft did this and that is how we got Mechassault. >

People that suggest a 'respawn' because they think people wont come play should probably just leave... really. If this were at all true, no one would play WoT or EVE or any other simulator game. And all of these games are thriving and are actually expanding.

So take a step back, take a look at what 'Mechwarrior: Online' is. Take note, it is not CoD, Battlefeild, Socom or any other FPS. It is a mech piloting simulator game.

It is not going to be a game, from the get go, that all people can just jump into be automatically good and have everything. There will be a learning curve. That does not mean a new player is going to die the first time, and they will quit.

If that were the case, the first lost match because they sucked and rushed over and over in a respawn game, they would still quit. After a score of like 2 and 30 they definitely would have as much chance of sticking around if they had 0/1. Particularly when they get out of that 2/30 game and had to pay to have their mech repaired 30 times.

And lastly, 'new players' will have a disadvantage compared to vets no mater what the game style, vets will always know what is going on before a new player. They will also have XP vetted mechs and pilots. So are you going to ask that they take away XP from Mechs and Pilots too so New players wont quit?

Edited by Omigir, 14 January 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#351 Soturi05

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostOmigir, on 14 January 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

^This! this is the Mechwarrior Battletech standard I thin. This is a Simulator standard. This is good.

As a side bar note, THE GAME SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER SACRIFICE ITS GAME PLAY TO MAKE ITSELF 'MORE PLAYABLE'
<Microsoft did this and that is how we got Mechassault. >

People that suggest a 'respawn' because they think people wont come play should probably just leave... really. If this were at all true, no one would play LoL or WoT or EVE or any other simulator game. And all of these games are thriving and are actually expanding.

So take a step back, take a look at what 'Mechwarrior: Online' is. Take note, it is not CoD, Battlefeild, Socom or any other FPS. It is a mech piloting simulator game.

It is not going to be a game, from the get go, that all people can just jump into be automatically good and have everything. There will be a learning curve. That does not mean a new player is going to die the first time, and they will quit.

If that were the case, the first lost match because they sucked and rushed over and over in a respawn game, they would still quit. After a score of like 2 and 30 they definitely would have as much chance of sticking around if they had 0/1. Particularly when they get out of that 2/30 game and had to pay to have their mech repaired 30 times.

And lastly, 'new players' will have a disadvantage compared to vets no mater what the game style, vets will always know what is going on before a new player. They will also have XP vetted mechs and pilots. So are you going to ask that they take away XP from Mechs and Pilots too so New players wont quit?

I would pay attention to this all of you and not just let it slip in your eyes and out your arse before it has a chance to be comprehended. :)

#352 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Omigir LoL has respawn... though that is just nit-picking

I agree with what dragonlady has to say sans one thing. You should not be able to go back to base and repair and rearm. These things encourage base camp and rearm devalues the need to carry a larger than minimum ammo load.

#353 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostGorith, on 14 January 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Omigir LoL has respawn... though that is just nit-picking

I agree with what dragonlady has to say sans one thing. You should not be able to go back to base and repair and rearm. These things encourage base camp and rearm devalues the need to carry a larger than minimum ammo load.

There LoL was removed XD Eve and Wot is good enough.

#354 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostOmigir, on 14 January 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

There LoL was removed XD Eve and Wot is good enough.

HAHA atleast someone gets when im just proding them

#355 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostMana211, on 14 January 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

Go pee, grab a Coke or a beer, grab some pizza, tons of things you can do between matches.

Oh, and you'll still have access to the mech custimization / money / whatever is outside of battles interface so you can be fixing / buying / thinking about your next mech. You don't have to stare at a blank screen or watch the battle if you don't want to.

You are absolutely right, I should go and play another game and never come back because of a most irksome game mechanic. Now before anyone says "oh but its a simulation, not an arcade game", Arma2 is a very hardcore sim, but has very popular gamemodes with respawn included.

View PostRavn, on 13 January 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

You know a lot of the responsibility for keeping little billy from getting scrapped falls on his teammates. It's our job as a community to make it fun for the new guys. If someone is in my clan I am not going to throw him to the wolves and yell at him for sucking. "Billy, you really sucked last round, so this is what you should do next time... " That's one of the reasons Halo, COD, SOCOM all have respawn. There is no community. It's just a bunch of faceless gamers killing each other over and over unless you role with a team everyday.

While I agree, that teamwork is important, Halo and that having bad communities isn't anything to do with respawns, its the existing communities hatred towards change and obsession towards being the best/elitism. Which you can see elements of in this thread.

View PostDragon Lady, on 13 January 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

If this whole faction warfare concept is going to work, then death cannot be cheap. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive either, but it shouldn't be cheap. If during a battle, your 'Mech gets blown out from under you, then you should be out of the battle permanently. No respawning. Heavily damaged 'Mechs should be able to return to base for repairs or to rearm during the battle, but once you're all the way out, you should be out.

Once out of that battle, you should certainly have the option of a) waiting for your 'Mech to be repaired by your personal technician (this time can spent offline); :) paying a premium for a rush repair job and join another battle; c) get another 'Mech from your stable and join another battle. Which option you choose should be determined by your available playing time and your resources.

I would consider a long game time + no respawns to be prohibitively expensive. c isn't really an option if you plan to play mostly with friends as it splits teams.

View PostGorith, on 13 January 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

.I would point that if the game sticks true to it's roots in that it will be more simulation than action you cannot hope to get nearly the numbers of LoL or TF2 even with insta-respawn. Simply put it's not going to be frenetic enough for the majority of the online gamer demographic to stick around. However there are enough tactical and simulation gamers and enough people who want something truly different to make it successful. The problem is if you make large concessions to attract massive ammounts of people alot of those people I mentioned will also not want to stick around. I have said it several times make a game that is quality and targets a certain niche audience they will come out of the woodwork and that trying to do something similar and compete with these well established games just simply will not work.

TBH it really depends on the mechanics as a whole, you cannot try to be a slow-paced shooter without respawns if you can be easily killed.

View PostSug, on 13 January 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

For me this was one of the best points brought up for no respawn.

I've never played a paintball match where if you got hit you run back to the starting area, wipe yourself off, then get to go back out on the field.

If your attention span is so short that the prospect of waiting more than 30 seconds is too much for you than this is not the game for you.

better have a look at this then, http://www.ddaypark..../RULES-2011.pdf, respawns is all about flow, no respawns in general encourage more cautious behaviour and mean that once people start dying its usually one sided.

#356 JackT uP

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Personally from what Ive played in "World of Tanks" seems to be a VERY solid system to maybe follow or adapt off of. If you die, you can back out of the Battle map and choose another Tank to go into another battle, as any tank that you joined a battle with is "locked" until the battle is fully over. Also the fact theres a timer (15:00 rounds max) it may force camping for awhile, but if a team really wants to win, that last 5 minutes will be a hectic race for the objectives.

I really enjoy this setup that WarGaming has used for their game, and would really like to see a system somewhat based off of it. Even though like earlier posts have said, theres mass ADHD now a days, and just overall impatient players that cant wait 5min to get into another game.

Edited by JackT_uP, 14 January 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#357 Zakski

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostJackT_uP, on 14 January 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Personally from what Ive played in "World of Tanks" seems to be a VERY solid system to maybe follow or adapt off of. If you die, you can back out of the Battle map and choose another Tank to go into another battle, as any tank that you joined a battle with is "locked" until the battle is fully over. Also the fact theres a timer (15:00 rounds max) it may force camping for awhile, but if a team really wants to win, that last 5 minutes will be a hectic race for the objectives.

I really enjoy this setup that WarGaming has used for their game, and would really like to see a system somewhat based off of it. Even though like earlier posts have said, theres mass ADHD now a days, and just overall impatient players that cant wait 5min to get into another game.

Firstly its really gorram offensive to people with ADHD to use the term the way that you do.

Secondly as I have pointed out, WoT has an incredibly bad system if you are playing with a fixed team of people that you know. It is only ok for lone wolves who have no real commitment to the rest of the team.

Edited by Zakski, 14 January 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#358 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Page 18!
:P
We're well past Bryans third Valium, and there seems to be no sane way out of it, no end in sight ^_^
Folks we all want the same thing! That 's obvious. The best Mechwarrior ever made .... and the crazy mind scrapping thing is, we're just a couple month short of seeing it! Spawn, respawn or just plain death :)

S!

#359 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Ups... I lied ! :)

#360 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostZakski, on 14 January 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Firstly its really gorram offensive to people with ADHD to use the term the way that you do.

Secondly as I have pointed out, WoT has an incredibly bad system if you are playing with a fixed team of people that you know. It is only ok for lone wolves who have no real commitment to the rest of the team.

Thank you for your opinion.

I think it would work great for a group of friends. You die, you sit tight and you wait for your friends to complete the match. If you don't want to wait on your friends, you can go play another match. I have a group of friends (whom I play EvE with) and they frequently play WoT together as a team/group.

51 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users