Early death in a 20 minute match.

600 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawn preference (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preference for respawning?

1. No Spawn (170 votes [46.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. Hybrid - Destroying your mech brings financial and xp strife (47 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. Free Spawn - I hate waiting, and I want to shoot stuff (16 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. Separate Servers - Let people play how they want, as long as I don't have to play with them (60 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

5. Limited Spawn - You get to spawn 3 times. If you lose all 3 in the first 5 minutes, you deserve to wait. (51 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

6. I don't care - You all are too emo (22 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

Vote

#581 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostChuckie, on 20 January 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

WoW Is different, but the queuing issue is true no matter what style of game it is.. if anything queuing can take longer in a simulator game due to map size.

Its like anything else, to be successful they will want to immerse the players into the game.. NOT immerse them in a queue.

Remember as far as we are aware right now there won't be any place to walk around, no worlds/ships to explore on your own, no sandbox to play in, so you are either in game or in a queue.

Now IF a nOOb is already part of a team/lance/group then he will have to wait for them to get out of the game. If he isn't he won't get to meet and develop relationships with anyone in the game if he can't be active in anything but the instance and dies quickly because he is a nOOb.

As for optional no spawn areas.. I don't have a problem with that. But whatever the rules are they have to be the same no matter what for instances that actually affect the "World"..

In Arenas, I can see having a choice to spawn or not.. but not in instances.

Those are things to consider is all.

waoh.. your all over the board there..

i guess for starters: Map size has nothing to do with how long it takes to Que. 3 lances is 3 lances is 3 lances. its going to take roughly about 12 mechs to make up one team.

Second, are you for or against 'spawn' in MW:O it sound slike your looking for difrent game types and are arguing something a little off topic..

#582 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostChuckie, on 20 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

OK apparently you haven't queued or looked for a team to play (especially if only certain levels play certain levels.. ala WoW).

I can envision something I ran into a lot especially on other MMOs. Take 10-30 mins to find a group to play in an instance.. then you play 5 minutes and die (especially if you don't have a place to play in a sandbox and learn the game (ALA MW:LL).. so now you get to wait 25-30 min for this group to finish to play again, or spend another half hour looking for a group.

Yea that would work well.. that would keep new people to the BT/MW universe interested in the game and have them want to stay around.. ESPECIALLY if there is no place to walk around.

actually i played WoW for several years. i quit it due to several reasons, not just cause of one reason, like everyone brings it up here (no respawn).
i also played WoT, which might have a comparable mechanic than this one. i did quit this, too. also cause of various reasons and not just one.
over the last like 15 years or more i played a lot of games, with a lot of different mechanics, so i think i experienced quite a lot of ques and stuff, but this was not once the reason for giving up on a game.

It's simply common sense.. Casual players, and many other regular gamers only have a few hours to play. So your saying it I have a choice to play a game I am active in for 3 hours, or a game I get to play maybe a third of the time or less because I have to find a group or que the rest of the time because I am new to the game.. I will choose the other game. That in the end will kill this game.

In todays day and age, people have less time to spend on games. NO ONE will want to "play" a new game if all they do is look for groups to play with and que... over 50% of the time. To think otherwise is just simply shortsighted, its common sense. I know I wouldn't play MW:LL as much as I do it I had to wait up to the hour between matches..

hmm dunno, maybe i am the special kind of player out here, but when a game is well made and i have fun playing it, i play it even when i have to expect some waiting time, even when i have not that much time.
in the end it is a question if the game is fun or not. if you don`t have the patience to wait once in a while, maybe a game that has strategic elements is not the right choice for you, cause sometime strategic means waiting or to use the infamous word camping. which means nothing less than waiting.

its also common, that players state they would even wait longer for something to be better in the end (example WoT: people stated they wouldn`t care to wait even minutes at the matchmaking to ensure a really balanced match, rather than jumping instantly into the next battle and facing some stupid setup).

Dude.. you need to chill..

hmm guess what? its weekend here, so chilled to the extreme ;)

I think I have been speaking my own thoughts.. and NO ONE will KNOW really anything until we have a game to play.. so right now we are just kicking around ideas..

actually you were speaking your thoughts about what other people think ;)
you said what in your opinion others will think and do when we have respawn matches only. there was no "I" in your sentences, you were always talking about the big player base out there, what it will do or not do. and THAT you simply can`t know, except we were borg and you the queen :D

And what ONE argument..? I put up a whole game mechanic I think would work keeping people active in the game and still make respawning not desirable over death.

It not just about new players, its about players staying immersed and excited in and about the game. Which no one will do sitting in a queue.

the one argument about how non respawn will affect the game and will be the key factor to ruin this game
everything else is explaining why this will be the case. that is why i said the ONE argument.

No one is saying to sacrifice game play to make more playable..

sadly this was mentioned by others in this topic.
"we hardcore battletech fans have to step away from the idea of no respawn, so that this game has a chance to become a great success, otherwise it will fail"
like a great man said "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"... well great... at least famous B)

that is why i react somewhat intense on that subject lately...

#583 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostOmigir, on 20 January 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Did the podcast mention anything abour after match repair mechanics?

Nope, didn't cover any of that, just an account of the action that went on in the match. Quite entertaining, I highly recommend a listen.

#584 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostDihm, on 20 January 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Nope, didn't cover any of that, just an account of the action that went on in the match. Quite entertaining, I highly recommend a listen.

Damn... the conspiricy goes far deeper then I first thought...

XP

You got a link hidden some where, or a link to a link?

#585 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostOmigir, on 20 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

XP

Oooh, and I just found out it goes even DEEPER!

Link to the Podcast #11 thread

View PostCattra Kell, on 20 January 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

In the notes they sent us it specifically said respawn was on because it was a dev/test build, just to clear that up for you. ;)

Okay, at this point, I'll just admit all I managed to do was stir the pot. ;)

#586 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostOmigir, on 20 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

XP

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/

its the blog nr.11
did take some time to start for me, just keep the browser working ;)

and yeah, i laughed a lot about that battle report ;)

#587 FlyingMonkey

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostRustic Dude, on 10 January 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

A broadcast of Solaris matches with loads of Pharaoh beer advertisements.

Makes me want to go wax the ol Alacorn...

#588 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostKhushrenada, on 20 January 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

sadly this was mentioned by others in this topic.
"we hardcore battletech fans have to step away from the idea of no respawn, so that this game has a chance to become a great success, otherwise it will fail" like a great man said "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"... well great... at least famous :rolleyes:

that is why i react somewhat intense on that subject lately...

NP..

And we will just have to agree to disagree on this one topic.. :)

Since it looks like from the play testing they do have spawning in and thus I win anyway :)

Just Kidding.. although I do think it is almost Beer:30 and time to launch into some MW:LL which thankfully has spawning cause I suck at it right now.

Edited by Chuckie, 20 January 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#589 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostChuckie, on 20 January 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

NP..

And we will just have to agree to disagree on this one topic.. :)

Since it looks like from the play testing they do have spawning in and thus I win anyway :)

Just Kidding.. although I do think it is almost Beer:30 and time to launch into some MW:LL which thankfully has spawning cause I suck at it right now.

Honestly, I think this is rather accurate. We have very little info and what do have leans twoards Multiple game types wich probably one or the other spawn type.

so pretty much anything after this is going to be slipping hairs without having more information.

#590 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

30 pages?! It's gone on this long? And without a beta in sight.

This is why we need spies and counter-spies, paid informants, plants and moles in the game. Would make the drop more interesting - "What's the intel?" "Our sources say the defenders have one Jenner, one Urban-mech, one Catapult and one Vidicator." "Good, let's roll."

People love to talk and this has always been the easiest way to gather intel - just let 'em talk. :)

#591 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

How exactly would respawning work with salvage and not-fully destroyed 'mechs?

If you have a 5 v 5 20 minute skirmish, you basically could have something like 20 'mechs destroyed by the end of the 20 minutes. How do you deal with salvaging parts and 'mechs?

Furthermore, how do you represent this visually? Say you knock out a Jenner's leg and fry the pilot, the stricken 'mech should still be pretty salvageable. What then, do you do visually? Leave the fallen mech on the ground for the 20 minutes? Once you have say, 8 'mechs with pilots shot out it starts to clutter the battlefield. Mech rubble that just disappears is no less cheesy.

I say the WoT method is the best - once your mech is destroyed you sit and wait. It's your prerogative whether you want to sit and watch the remainder of the skirmish or quit back to the mech bay and start up a new mech. This also partially alleviates the time based repair system, whereby you can then have 'mechs out of action for minutes or hours which encourages people to buy lots of 'mechs with their modules and parts and weapons, which in turn helps fund the freemium play model even though it's still just one real person playing.

#592 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'm ok with respawn now as long as it stays away from campaign and can't be used to power level.

Also, if there is a respawn mode, dead mechs should litter the battlefield and pose a tripping hazard... that would just be neat.

Edited by Ravn, 20 January 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#593 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

View Postautogyro, on 20 January 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

How exactly would respawning work with salvage and not-fully destroyed 'mechs? If you have a 5 v 5 20 minute skirmish, you basically could have something like 20 'mechs destroyed by the end of the 20 minutes. How do you deal with salvaging parts and 'mechs? Furthermore, how do you represent this visually? Say you knock out a Jenner's leg and fry the pilot, the stricken 'mech should still be pretty salvageable. What then, do you do visually? Leave the fallen mech on the ground for the 20 minutes? Once you have say, 8 'mechs with pilots shot out it starts to clutter the battlefield. Mech rubble that just disappears is no less cheesy. I say the WoT method is the best - once your mech is destroyed you sit and wait. It's your prerogative whether you want to sit and watch the remainder of the skirmish or quit back to the mech bay and start up a new mech. This also partially alleviates the time based repair system, whereby you can then have 'mechs out of action for minutes or hours which encourages people to buy lots of 'mechs with their modules and parts and weapons, which in turn helps fund the freemium play model even though it's still just one real person playing.

Dude.. you are like 29 pages behind the power curve, its all been talked about. Trust me. I been in it for all 30 glory hole pages.
Also, the salvage thred kinda has said that salvage wont make sens even in a no respawn game so probably will not see Salvage in any other form other then liquidated assets into C-bill that is evenly devided. Just speculation but its beena very indepth convo..

on a side note, i think im just going to start posting what ever in this thread. XD

Like, LET THE SALMON RUN!!!!!

Edited by Omigir, 21 January 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#594 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostOmigir, on 21 January 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

on a side note, i think im just going to start posting what ever in this thread. XD

This would be bad.

#595 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 21 January 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

This would be bad.

but grim! there is nothing left to discuss on the topic?

or the spawning of salmon?

#596 Gaizokubanou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

This really depends on the game type.

On rather blend DM or TDM, respawn should be free. On more objective based matches, respawn should be restricted through either longer wait timer or limited numbers.

#597 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostOmigir, on 21 January 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

Dude.. you are like 29 pages behind the power curve, its all been talked about. Trust me. I been in it for all 30 glory hole pages.

YES, and let the Salmon SPAWN while they are at it... !!!!

Edited by Chuckie, 21 January 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#598 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostChuckie, on 21 January 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

YES, and let the Salmon SPAWN while they are at it... !!!!

Woah, I dont know what you are trying to get involved in, but I think it might breach the tearms of use. unless you are a salmon... then its probably ok. And if your not a salmon, you must die after you spawn...

and remeber Salmon only spawn once!

#599 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostOmigir, on 21 January 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

you must die after you spawn... and remeber Salmon only spawn once!

:)

#600 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Has anyone here played TradeWars 2002 ... the classic ansi graphics game? If your ship gets blown to bits you're out for a whole 24 hours! Yet, you love it because when you blow your opponent away you know what you're inflicting! Death has meaning!

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users