MercCorp Names - Bryan has spoken (at least for now).

46 replies to this topic

#21 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

To be honest, I don't get the need to follow canon if a real I.S. campaign system is implemented. Or rather, to avoid putting the cart before the horse; that there should be no need to stick to the canon once a "total war" system is implemented.

MPBT: EGA did not follow it, there was open warfare without consulting the novels. Nor was it planned for MPBT: 3025 to base campaigns and battles off the canon.

I have no problem with canon purists obsessing over weapon values, heat values, heat dispersion, and all the minutiae that goes into the mission-battles. However, I do not really want to follow the "history" making sure House X won Battle Y at time Z. That seems quite sterile to me.

Edited by Kyrie, 24 August 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#22 Kyrie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 20 August 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Most likely far down the road but not out of sight.

The Lyran loyalist that I work with is all about being the "very model of a modern major-general" and is looking forward to how the meta-game will play out. As in the other threads that deal with Community Warfare he hopes that he can rise to the upper ranks where realpolitiks come into play and he has to wheel and deal with the other Steiner high commanders.

And if not player "run" I hope it comes about that a player can "greatly influence" the canon, dev run unit they have always wanted to be in but didn't want to put up with the drama of a player run unit. The devs could always over-rule the influence due to canon events needing to be followed but the players could still see their actions having consequences.

Here's to hoping and patiently waiting.

BTW, I love the Gilbert&Sullivan reference. :-) Pirates of Penzance for the win!

I've been doing my damnedest to promote in the forums the system of running factions that I grew to love, I'm hoping it has an impact. I am sort of surprised that, comparatively speaking, there hasn't been an overwhelming response. Once we get some clarity on the direction CW is going to go in I'll have to make a stark choice to suffer through in House Faction or embrace the merc side of mwomercs.com. :)

#23 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostKyrie, on 24 August 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

Once we get some clarity on the direction CW is going to go in I'll have to make a stark choice to suffer through in House Faction or embrace the merc side of mwomercs.com. :(

Even then the first release, or perhaps even the second, third, or fourth release won't be the "final" iteration. I can see that early version being geared for the lower ranks as that's all we'll see for a while. Then as people climb the ladder(s) the devs flesh out more and more of the upper tiers fine-tuning as players figure out how to push the limits and perhaps do things that were not intended.

I would just ask people to have patience and give this game plenty of time to mature into it's fullest potential. Even if it takes another year.

#24 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Bryan? Bryan...?

anybody...?

#25 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

Maybe they didn't care for all the insinuations in your thread about egomaniacs and what not and you shot yourself in the foot being abled to have this stickied by your drama comments. I feel there is far more drama in House units than Merc units and your attitude for how people are wanting to play a game is far worse than their attitude of wanting to play how they want to play. People tend to forget all the hard work put into these units for decades. Most of these units that are being given a hard time to are some of the major reasons this community has survived and drove the reasoning behind pushing forward for new games to even be tried.

#26 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostStarkiller, on 03 September 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Maybe they didn't care for all the insinuations in your thread about egomaniacs and what not and you shot yourself in the foot being abled to have this stickied by your drama comments. I feel there is far more drama in House units than Merc units and your attitude for how people are wanting to play a game is far worse than their attitude of wanting to play how they want to play. People tend to forget all the hard work put into these units for decades. Most of these units that are being given a hard time to are some of the major reasons this community has survived and drove the reasoning behind pushing forward for new games to even be tried.

I said "drama" one time twice (!, oh nooooes) and that's all you got out of this thread? wow, just wow. talk about drama! :(

Edited by Morashtak, 04 September 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#27 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

bump for sticky

#28 Torroc Gnar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSol 3, Western Hemisphere, Northern Continent

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Forgive if I'm repeating a question ... this seems to imply that "the devs" are active players as well as implementers? Or is it that there needs to be some kind of structure so "the devs" decide on and provide that structure?

#29 Starkiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 04 September 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I said "drama" one time twice (!, oh nooooes) and that's all you got out of this thread? wow, just wow. talk about drama! <_<

If that is all you could get out of my post, well that is on you. Sorry, we do not tollerate the drama, it can stay in your unit. My post did not just talk about you saying drama, but the condescending manner in which you address units that do not fit what you are looking for in a unit or in how units are run when it differs from how you think it should be.

#30 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

now all they need to clear up is the clans!

#31 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostTorroc Gnar, on 15 September 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Forgive if I'm repeating a question ... this seems to imply that "the devs" are active players as well as implementers? Or is it that there needs to be some kind of structure so "the devs" decide on and provide that structure?

As fas as we know or can speculate devs will not play the game in that sense. They will direct the action to some planets while directing the action away from others so that planets are fought for on a canon consistent basis - ex. Davion in-game players will not be taking over a planet that in lore will be fought over and won back by Davion the next week according to any canon source. Going to look strange if ISN announces a planet changing hands due to player actions only for someone to go "Wait. This book says that planet was already owned by the faction for X number of years."

"Game generated contracts" implies conquests over planets whose outcome does not seriously impact BTU history as we know it.

So, yes, on your second question.

#32 Torroc Gnar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSol 3, Western Hemisphere, Northern Continent

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostMorashtak, on 16 September 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

So, yes, on your second question.

Fair enough. Thanks. It makes sense and to follow BTU history there needs to be method to the madness - or maybe the pattern in the chaos.

Too bad The Devs don't/can't play as well. I'd imagine it's both too much for work and play, but really into it to be good at what they do and enjoy it.

#33 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostTorroc Gnar, on 16 September 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Too bad The Devs don't/can't play as well. I'd imagine it's both too much for work and play, but really into it to be good at what they do and enjoy it.

There were those that floated the idea that it would be the devs that would be the first Clan pilots. As there are ~50 devs and associates it would make coding and playing a 24/7 job and even then there would not be enough play time to keep the IS pilots busy fighting clans.

Also, in the spirit of this thread, since players can not run canon units the above idea would, at the very least, give the appearance of a dev run Clan Merc Corp which would cause the forums to erupt in howls of protest.

Will be very interesting to see how the devs walk the fine line between playing while over-seeing the meta-game. Will they be officials or facilitators? Bureaucrats or Technicians? Then again, one person's perception will be another's reality. oh well

#34 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Obvious monthly bump is obvious.

#35 Lettuce Prey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationRedwood Forest Humboldt County California - in other words i live out in the woods

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

thanks for making all these bits of information available in one place.
it is something i wondered about.

#36 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Now that there has been some talk about CW, this thread with its associated links should be considered.

#37 Coastal0

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Sticky this thread!

#38 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Since the Clans will be factions, those units should be choosing what non-canon unit name they will be using that is part of Clan Blank, in the same manner that 9th Sword of the Dragon is part of the DCMS of House Kurita. What this will do is ensure that the units understand they are not THE Clan Etc, but of the Clan Etc.

But then faction is sooo not Battletech/Mechwarrior but of the Dark Ages (/worships porcelain god..)

DCMS is the military arm of the Draconis Combine. I do wonder if most clanners are even aware there are actual unit names ;).

#39 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

^^ We weren`t even aware that these were standing armies, we thought we were fighting the reserves all this time. At least that`S what it felt like. ;)

#40 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

We don't care. We shoot what's in front of us ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users