Mad Cat Vs. Warhammer

280 replies to this topic

Poll: MC Vs. W (574 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you think would win in a 1v1 fight?

1. Mad Cat (426 votes [74.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.22%

2. Voted Warhammer (104 votes [18.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.12%

3. Neither (44 votes [7.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

I feel that might happen as well Stormwolf, Dark Age, MW4, and several later era books give too much of a feel that IS can consistently defeat clanners when especialy when the clans first arive to have a shot at winning you would need around a company for every star your enemy brings.

#22 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

I voted for warhammer cause i like it better. (old school table top).
Unfortunatly the truth is the Timber Wolf. Hello? its clan tech.

#23 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 10 January 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I feel that might happen as well Stormwolf, Dark Age, MW4, and several later era books give too much of a feel that IS can consistently defeat clanners when especialy when the clans first arive to have a shot at winning you would need around a company for every star your enemy brings.

Yeah, they often tone down Clan tech to balance the game, I hope that doesn't happen with MWO.
We should instead get something similar to BV balancing and bidding among Clan forces.

#24 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Bidding I would LOVE to see, BV balance not so much though, more like a unit size thing, like having the company versus star games or company versus a significantly lighter binary since at the onset of the invasion there is little in the IS that can stand toe to toe with a clan mech with a minimum of a 20 ton weight advantage.

#25 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 10 January 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

And I'm pretty damn sure that if the game balance represents this, team sizes will also be in that range (2-3 IS players for every Clan player), so some people around here should start getting accustomed to being sandwiched by a pair of assault mechs ^^

#26 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

As most people have pointed out, the pilot is really what makes a 'Mech effective. That's why you can see an amazing pilot hop into a Locust and down an Atlas.

Wall of text, so BLUF: MadCat can level superior firepower at all ranges, has 2 tons more armor and can move ~20kph faster, making it a technically superior machine.

That point aside, the Warhammer is also a far older design than the MadCat/Timberwolf as I recall, not that that necessarily matters if we look at recent production models using similar materials. The Warhammer's paired PPCs don't give it any significant advantage over the MadCat, which, between the LRM20s and pair of ER Large Lasers can crush at long-extreme ranges. Moving closer, the Warhammer certainly becomes more effective, but it will eventually come to a point where field inhibitors must be disabled or else lose its PPCs, the MadCat conversely can continue to fire all of its energy weapons even if its missiles are rendered moot by ranges within their operating limit. 2 extra tons of armor and a top speed ~20 kph faster gives it more than enough ability to close and neutralise the Warhammer's main punch, while still retaining the majority of its own firepower.

Thus, we see the MadCat having fire superiority at all ranges, 2 extra tons of armor to give it more room for mistakes, and a much higher top speed with which to outmaneuver the Warhammer.

All that said though, I'm going with the Warhammer for two completely aribitrary reasons: 1) One of my two favorite 'Mechs ever and 2) I'm putting Natasha Kerensky in the cockpit. :lol:

EDIT: I forgot that we are dealing with CLAN LRMs for a moment here, not sure how I managed but oh well, all that does is turn the Whammy into a giant target at all ranges and move the balance into lulz range for the MadCat.

Edited by Brother Grim, 10 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#27 Wolf Hreda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHesperia, CA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 10 January 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I vote for, whomever the better pilot is.

Both chassis are CAPABLE of greatness, but it is only the pilot, who determines what a Mech is ABLE to do.

Also, we pronounce it "Timberwolf".

...freaking freebirths...

:lol:

I love it. Tell the surats the truth.

#28 Doctor Horrible

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Black

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostWraith-1, on 10 January 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

A very skilled pilot could use the 2 PPCs on the Warhammer to core or cockpit the Timberwolf pretty quickly, but overall, I think the 5 extra tons, Clan tech, and 40 LRMS that have no minimum locking range would win.

If you replaced 'very skilled' with 'extremely lucky' I'd agree. Hitting concentrated points at long range on a unpredictably moving target with slow PPC fire is beyond skill...though skill would improve the odds.

#29 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Timber Wolf wins hands down, unless there is a large disadvantage in pilot skill.

#30 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 10 January 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm getting the distinct impression that a lot of guys here are going to get slaughtered when the first wave arrives.

Most MW4 players aren't aware that the clans actually have an advantage....

Edited by Sug, 10 January 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#31 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Really? This isn't a contest. The Warhammer only wins by luck.

View PostSug, on 10 January 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Most MW4 players aren't aware that the clans actually have an advantage....

Same with mw2 & mw3...

Edited by verybad, 10 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#32 Kristof Bowen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

The Timber Wolf should win everytime, at least on paper.

In an actual battle it is going to come down to piloting, weapon choices, electronic suites, armor types, countermeasures, terrain, etc..

The Warhammer can win(I have done it many times), but it does require more patience and overall skill to beat the Timber Wolf pilot.

#33 Rhinehart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

The Marauder wins

#34 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well I'm an Old time Marauder fan also, and it certainly wins on aesthetics (unseen does, reseen is ugly as a 2 dollar ******), but it's not as well designed a mech as even the Warhammer in terms of actual capability (looking at base variants here)

When the MadCat came out, i think everyone pretty much dropped their jaws in terms of capability, the thing is simply a beast, I've never found it that good looking a mech though. I think the Warhammer and Marauder both look better.

Edited by verybad, 10 January 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#35 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

In a 1vs1 the Timber Wolf should always win(if not Kai Allard Liao is the pilot of the Warhammer).

Edited by Grayson Pryde, 10 January 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#36 Undead

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostTHE 4thbreed, on 10 January 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

i'd have to say Warhammer for the simple fact that it packs more of a punch then the timber wolf.

Someone is in for a rude awakening when the clans show up.

#37 Dillpickl55

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

you obviously can see what my vote is by looking at my sig. lol

#38 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

This is laughable, it's the Timberwolf everytime. All other arguments on pilot/circumstance aside the Warhammer simply doesn't have the heat sinks to play. The Timberwolf has such a variety of weapons at it's disposal that it can spike it's heat with little care because it still fire while cooling off. The versatilty of the primary configuration is amazingly well rounded. The Warhammer on the other hand can't even sustain a ppc barrage for any significant length of time before it either shuts down or its ammo explodes.

#39 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

The Timby, always, provided it is piloted by a competent Clansman

#40 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

If you were to match a Timber Wolf against another similar Heavy Clan Mech or the WarHammer against another similar IS Heavy than it would be much more even. Sorry to all you who love the WarHammer(It is one of my fav. IS mechs mind you)out there but the Timber Wolf will win 95 out of 100 fights 1v1 and probably more even with all things considered. The ONLY reasons the IS was able to beat back the Clans was because of their dirty fighting(Leave it to IS Surats to ******** a single clanner with a whole lance, lol), attacking ammo and supply lines behind clan forces, teaming up on single clan targets, etc. It was these things that allowed the IS to have victories. It was also that the IS had a much greater production capacity and population than the Clans did and it was still a very close victory for the IS... To be honest it isn't fair to pit a Clan tech mech and an IS tech mech in a 1v1 fight. The IS learned this early on and thus went into their "dirty fighting" methods...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users