• LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

cool!

#1183 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Okay, I'm an old timer, so my first Battletech/Mechwarrior computer game was "The Crescent Hawk's Inception", where I had my first digital introduction to the commando. So here is my take on Rex Pearce's Commando in Unit Color's

Posted Image

Edited by Hartsblade, 27 February 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#1184 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 26 February 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Second, the Nueva Castile feels ill-represented, so here’s a re-take of Fanjoy’s miniature art from 2004, with a few elements added. The division insignia is conjectural.

Posted Image

All I see when I look at this is a dude in jester tight. :)

Great work as always.

#1185 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Here is my first attempt, sorry for the poor quality but I'm just getting started.

I decided to do a camo scheme from a famous event. This is a 2nd Kearny Highlander Commando just prior to the ill fated recon of the planet Mira in 3028. The paint scheme was described as bright green and orange striped.

I've put the Battalion logo as well as the Regimental logo along with the pilot's family tartan as described in the Mercs Supplemental source book. In this case I used O'Connor dress :)

Page 51:
There is no uniform paint scheme, with each command using a camouflage scheme appropriate to their mission.
The brigade logo is displayed on the left chest, turret, or fuselage, with a slightly smaller regimental crest displayed on the right side. A swatch of the regiment’s tartan is displayed below the regimental logo, while the warrior’s personal family tartan is displayed on the right leg, right wing, or front of the vehicle.
Posted Image

#1186 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 27 February 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Here is my first attempt, sorry for the poor quality but I'm just getting started.

I decided to do a camo scheme from a famous event. This is a 2nd Kearny Highlander Commando just prior to the ill fated recon of the planet Mira in 3028. The paint scheme was described as bright green and orange striped.

I've put the Battalion logo as well as the Regimental logo along with the pilot's family tartan as described in the Mercs Supplemental source book. In this case I used O'Connor dress :D

Page 51:
There is no uniform paint scheme, with each command using a camouflage scheme appropriate to their mission.
The brigade logo is displayed on the left chest, turret, or fuselage, with a slightly smaller regimental crest displayed on the right side. A swatch of the regiment’s tartan is displayed below the regimental logo, while the warrior’s personal family tartan is displayed on the right leg, right wing, or front of the vehicle.
Posted Image

Great first go! Are you using Photoshop or something else like GIMP? Just a quick tip, for your decals you want to make them layer masks (in photoshop, alt+click between layers). If you do it right you will still see the line art under the tartan on the upper right leg :)

edit: this is what my Layers look like for the Crescent Hawk's Commando. All of my decals are in layers 4 -7.

Posted Image

Edited by Hartsblade, 27 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#1187 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostGrafvitnir, on 22 February 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Request: A non-canon Dragon 'Mech for my pilot.

FRR insignia, GRAFVITNIR written somewhere on it.
A Valnott (http://www.sunnyway....nes/valknot.gif) and an Aegishjalmur (http://upload.wikime...shjalmr.svg.png, http://www.thebigide...protection2.jpg) on it as well would be awesome.

As for the colours themselves, I'm thinking heraldric blue and yellow on most of it, checks, chevrons, quarters or whatever you fancy, with dark Khaki or Olive Drab on the less important areas; a single band of tartan around the upper arm or thigh would be great for reflecting my old-days RP character's partial Northwind and Skye heritage as well.
Inspiration: (http://2.bp.blogspot...ellow+check.jpg, http://images.suprem...-1?$mainshot-2$)

In the RP backstory for Gravfitnir, the 'Mech also has various small runes hand-painted on it's feet and shins by local villagers during it's 'retirement' on a backwater planet after my father was injured in the Ronin Wars. Runes of protection and gratitude for helping raise barns, fell trees, and basically acting like a glorified IndustrialMech until Graaf was old enough to pilot it and leave to join the KungsArme.
Here are some sample runes if you want to do the little details: (http://www.sunnyway....es/warrior.html, http://img1.liveinte..._myth_runes.jpg)

Many thanks for helping a sentimental roleplayer bring his 'Mech to life; whatever you come up with will be great if it's as professional-looking as your stuff so far!

Commandos have left the building. Setting up paintshop for your 'Mech as per MWO template base. Just park it somewhere and we'll do the rest. You don't mind if we test drive it just a bit, do you?

Edited by Ironhawk, 27 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#1188 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hayden, love your St Ives Commando repaint. I can see why you love them.

#1189 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostHartsblade, on 27 February 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Great first go! Are you using Photoshop or something else like GIMP? Just a quick tip, for your decals you want to make them layer masks (in photoshop, alt+click between layers). If you do it right you will still see the line art under the tartan on the upper right leg :)

edit: this is what my Layers look like for the Crescent Hawk's Commando. All of my decals are in layers 4 -7.

Posted Image

Thanks for the advice, I'm using Photoshop CS5 and I'm just getting a feel for the layering and all. I hope to do better very soon. Any technical advice is always welcome.

#1190 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostIronhawk, on 27 February 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Hayden, love your St Ives Commando repaint. I can see why you love them.

Looks great, but quickly getting lost back some 4 or 5 pages :) Hayden, I know you like to append your posts with your new repaints, but we may be missing them without a new post to link to or at least a mention of the edit.

#1191 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

I'm afraid I agree with Hartsblade. Even just going back several pages in this now 61 page thread and I get completely lost. Perhaps Mason or one of the PGI boys can do something about splitting the thread, or helping with references, etc.?

#1192 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

@ Hayden

I love your work. Awesome. I know that it might not be easy to try and research the various colours of the various factions. So, great job once again.

As a note:
The best Atlas presented is - for the biased me :) - the Gray Death's one by far! SUPEERRRR!

#1193 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Loving everything I've seen on this thread, this is always my first stop.
I, of course, have a request. In the book "The Ruins of Power" (It's Dark Age, if anyone is wondering), The Baron fought for Devlin Stone in a Centurion. The paint scheme is as follows

...yellow stripes on the legs and red hash marks on the arms, lasers and LRMs...

I imagine the rest would be Camo.
Side-note: The Baron's Son nicknamed the 'mech ​ Sargent Death but that doesn't appear anywhere on the 'mech.
Thank you for the awesome work you've done, I can't wait for more!

#1194 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hey guys,

Are these 7 designs final? I mean, will the game’s 3d renders be based on them? Because they really rock, honestly. B)Especially the Atlas whose image was so much nerfed and ridiculed in MechWarrior games, not to mention the scandalous MWLL render!

I always said that the Atlas from MWOL (you know the trailer...) is THE best representation ever (and the closest one to the original Battletech drawings albeit much better) but this one (is it Alex Iglesias’ I presume) looks even cooler.

Ohh, I really, really look forward to this game, a franchise so long neglected in the benefit of other boring ones!

#1195 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Shoving priorities aside to work on MW:O Trailer Atlas style concept art repaint... More to come later.

#1196 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostHayden, on 22 February 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

Next series of 10: All Commandos.

My first and only upload for tonight is in a color scheme that's fairly near and dear to my heart... no, I'm not sponsoring this unit, I just really like this color scheme... a Commando in Blackburn's Raiders livery!
Posted Image

EDIT: This next one is something of a blast from the past. Destroyed in the 4th Succession War, this 'mech is meant to depict a machine from Vincent's Commandos, a unit of the Liao Reserves. Both the commandos and their sister unit, Trimaldi's Raiders were wiped out in the 4th Succession war by (who else?) the AFFS. That said, they can still live on in our hearts. Or something like that...
Posted Image

EDIT: Returning to it's roots. This commando represents a unit from the Lyran Commonwealth's 5th Donegal Guards. I chose this unit over other Donegal Guards units, because they have a little more contrast, without the insanity of the 6th Donegal's paint scheme. This particular one was hastily repainted into a kind of ad-hoc "ridge line" scheme, by leaving the upper half in normal colors, and repainting the lower half.
Posted Image

EDIT: This one is from a very obscure mercenary unit that very few of you have probably even heard of. Very obscure. Not even really sure why I'm putting it up.
Posted Image

EDIT: Last one for tonight, I think. Running low on steam for now. Marik Militia Commando. Text on the side of the cockpit reads "spartan" in Greek.
Posted Image
EDIT: So I lied. One more for tonight... maybe one to follow? Basically, I'm really tired, but I may not have this much free time again for a few weeks :D anyway... this potential last one is another Commando, and again from another defunct liao unit, MacGregor's Armored Scouts.
Posted Image

Edit: 2nd St. Ives Lancers.
Posted Image

MORE TO COME!! On this page... When I have time... someday...

ED:

I will put it up soon!

Love these! Especially the GDL one, so cool I found your art on DA

#1197 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

MW:O Trailer Atlas rendition. A few elements may have been missed, and those reds are hard to get right (especially from various screen gammas). Please give me appropriate feedback and I can perform a revised version as required. Here goes...

Posted Image

#1198 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Looking good, but if you are going for the Trailer version you need to "remove" the LRM tubes on the right torso.

#1199 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostHartsblade, on 28 February 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Looking good, but if you are going for the Trailer version you need to "remove" the LRM tubes on the right torso.

Oh geez you're right!

#1200 Bullet Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 28 February 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

MW:O Trailer Atlas rendition. A few elements may have been missed, and those reds are hard to get right (especially from various screen gammas). Please give me appropriate feedback and I can perform a revised version as required. Here goes...

Honestly, with the exception of that right lrm launcher that has already been mentioned, I can't find anything missing. I've been switching back and forth from the trailer to the art, and you seem to have nailed every other detail, down to the 205's and the slight carbon fiber-ish looking pattern to the armor.

Maybe dirty up the feet a bit more? In the beginning of the trailer they look pretty scratched and dingy, with a bit less red, and more greys. Maybe I'm wrong, dunno.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users