MWO vs Hawken

171 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO vs Hawken ++ (434 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will reign supreme

1. Mech Warrior Online (279 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Hawken (20 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

3. I'll Let you know when I play both Beta's (135 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

Will you even try Hawken ?

1. Yes I try out every FTP that looks good. (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

2. No .. MWO is the only Mech franchise for me (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

3. I'd play any Mech game atleast once. (184 votes [42.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.40%

The most important quality of a Mech game for me is

1. Customization of my mech * like ChromeHounds * (263 votes [29.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.42%

2. Realistic Simulation style Mech combat (356 votes [39.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.82%

3. A Faction based territory battle system .. * Like ChromeHounds * (186 votes [20.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

4. Arcade style Frag and respawn game mode (23 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

5. Sci-Fi futuristic Mechs similar too Gundam Wing / Armoured Core series. (66 votes [7.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Ok taking a quick poll on how people feel about the up coming Hawken Game. http://www.hawkengame.com/

It seems very interesting too me and I am very excited to play it . I am not a Die Hard MechWarrior fan Im a Die Hard MECH fan .

I played ChromeHounds the day it launched to the day they closed the servers and I still cry in my sleep about it.

Id like to hear everyone opinion about Hawken vs MWO and where you stand .
the Pros and cons of each game and what you think either game will do better at.

Since the Hawken Beta is not out yet I'd like to post this Link http://www.playhawken.com/index.php?ref=37121077

Get yourself enlisted for the Beta aswell so we can all try it out and make another more informed opinion at a later date

Edited by ItsDevin, 03 August 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

I was all set for Hawken to be my mech fix, then MWO came out and I was like, "Hey! You can't just decide to make me remember how much I loved MW2 and take my money *buy's verteran pack* like you didn't leave me in the lurch for all those years. Hawken looks mightycool, and I think I'm just going to wait *upgrades to elite pack* and see what ends up being better. Hey, where'd my $60 go?"

Edited by Greyrook, 02 August 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

HAWKEN WINS.

Fatality....

#4 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostGreyrook, on 02 August 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

I was all set for Hawken to be my mech fix, then MWO came out and I was like, "Hey! You can't just decide to make me remember how much I loved MW2 and take my money *buy's verteran pack* like you didn't leave me in the lurch for all those years. Hawken looks mightycool, and I think I'm just going to wait *upgrades to elite pack* and see what ends up being better. Hey, where'd my $60 go?"

So true . so so true .. im still hoping that Hawken will be a little more arcade like with a customization style similar to ChromeHounds.. that what would sell me into the game .. I like MWO so far .. but I hate the Lack of Customization .. but thats just part of the whole MechWarrior world.

#5 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'll certainly have a look once there is more information about the game. I've seen a couple of videos showing the gameplay and at this point I am not really interested. It seems to me to be more of an Unreal Tournament / Team Fortress / Quake / etc with you in a Mechanised Skeletal Machine.. it seems to be more about twitch gameplay like those games I've listed than about actual Mech vs Mech combat. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.. It does look like a very cool and fun game for people who like that style of gameplay. I'd certainly try it out to be 100% sure.. but I think I'm fairly close, in my assumptions based on the information available, to come to these conclusions.

Not sure why you continually reference "ChromeHounds".. just curious about that.. it's of no concern.

#6 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

hawken will surely have a bigger playerbase, since it gets hyped to the universe and beyond and blahblahblah

but true mechwarriors will always go with the real deal :P
and hell.... i bought a fckin founders pack, so why would i dare to even try hawken ffs!?!?! :)

#7 MikeMurdock

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7. residental district

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

for myself i'm doing the have your cake and eat it to. Going to play both games actually cause I do love the art style of hawken and it will be set in a new universe and such. MWO i'm going to still play cause i love battletech

#8 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

View Postlight487, on 02 August 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Not sure why you continually reference "ChromeHounds".. just curious about that.. it's of no concern.

*sniff.. sniff* .. cause I miss my ChromeHounds.. they just closed the servers one day with no warning .. and ... and it was terrible.

its just the one Mech game I have played the most, so its all I really have to compair too .
ive tried a few of the MW games and Several of the Armoured core series. but CH was the one that sucked me into the whole Mech vs Mech genre

#9 BoxDrunken

• PipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMesa,AZ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hawken = Yawn...

MWO = Me throwing money at the screen...

#10 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

and for the record .. I dont consider MWO to be a very customizable game .. you can adjust weapon layout .. and thats just about it.
where other Mech Games provide a very High level of Customization which i feel bring more quality to the game.

#11 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Lore needs to be a "Most important thing." For me its gameplay, but for others its the extension of 25 years of a gaming and backstory.

I will admit that my greatest fear is my children will like Hawken more because its faster and more pew pew.

#12 Graefin Zeppelin

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Looks more like Power Armors then Mechs to me. Not impressed at all.

#13 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostItsDevin, on 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

*sniff.. sniff* .. cause I miss my ChromeHounds.. they just closed the servers one day with no warning .. and ... and it was terrible.

its just the one Mech game I have played the most, so its all I really have to compair too .
ive tried a few of the MW games and Several of the Armoured core series. but CH was the one that sucked me into the whole Mech vs Mech genre

Oh right.. :P Fair enough.. I can understand that.. I have the same feeling about a few games. In this genre, that game is Mechwarrior 2. So for me, MWO is a natural evolution of that. There's a decent amount of customisation in MW games.. and while I can't fully customise, at least not without omni-mechs etc, I believe the customisation will be enough for me to enjoy it. With MW4, I was also overwhelmed by the mechlab and almost always opted for standard loadouts.. and when I did make changes it was just little tweaks to compliment my style or whatever the next campaign mission was about.

#14 DarkraiOfDoom

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

i miss chromehounds =[

the customization was a beautiful thing...

#15 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

play both. each fills a different genre of giant robot action- to the point where to compare them is silly

#16 Finity1

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLooking down from angels 40

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 02 August 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

play both. each fills a different genre of giant robot action- to the point where to compare them is silly

This.

I've been watching both games for quite some time now, and I don't really compare the two.

Hawken will have the fast-paced, Unreal Tournament-style game play where reaction times, dodging and accuracy on the fly are some of the more important skills.

Mechwarrior to me has always been more of a Mech simulator with an emphasis on strategy, mech builds and team play-with a focus on managing Mech systems, heat and weapons.

It's sort of like comparing Unreal Tournament to Armed Assault, in a way. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Edited by Finity1, 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#17 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostAfoxi, on 09 July 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Here's how it usually works:

Two games start development.
These two games have something in common in a landscape barren of their common premise (Multiplayer First Person Giant Robots).
Fans of these games notice similarities.
Fans start feeling threatened that someone else has the audacity to copy their chosen franchise.
Cue fans of both sides denouncing each other over little things like "generic run and gun" or "no skill laserboats", despite never having the opportunity to try both.

Who loses? Fans of the PC Multiplayer Giant Robots genre.

#18 Stalgrim

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hawken seems like it was designed for teenagers, it's a fast, fast shooty 'splosion game, MWO has decades of other games, books and tabletop to line up with. Comparing them is just pointless.

Hawken is the 'mech equivalent of C.O.D. MWO is a MW game, it wasn't designed to appeal to a bunch of kids who don't like taking strategy into consideration and just want to run at each other and fire their guns and hope they shoot the right part of the enemy. When things are moving that fast and in (from what I can see) confined war zones then all you get is a giant clusterf...udge of explosions and running behind cover. I'm not talking about the tribes style of speed here where everything is about predicting movements and knowing how fast to come off which cliff to get the best distance for a flag cap or which area to fire a fractal grenade at to choke off the enemies escape so you can lock them down in an area that you're better in.

I'm fairly sure asking this question in the MWO forums is going to get you a lot of biased asnwers my friend, asking it in the Hawken forums will get you an utterly different set of results but with less grammar and punctuation. All I'm saying is that when I watch Hawken...I see nothing to it, it's just a mess of explosions, speed, health bars and jumping with powerful weapons that can kill in seconds. That generally leaves little time for planning or tactics.

Just my thoughts on the matter, yours might be different.

Edited by Stalgrim, 02 August 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#19 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Pffft, two weapons. Hawken is barely comparable to an updated Mech Assault. Enjoy your Xbox game, I'll be over here with multiple weapon loadouts, indirect fire and role warfare in the real Mech game.

Edited to Add: You also left off some options on your poll. Most important things for a Mech Game: Appropriate utilisation of different weight classes, Tactical combat, Well implemented indirect fire, Good maps, etc. You might as well have changed the poll to 'which of the things from Chrome Hounds do you think is most important for a Mech game'.

Edited by BlackAbbot, 02 August 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#20 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

I like how you all say Hawken is a simple game when MWO is the one with Deathmatch/CaptureTheBase.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users