MWO vs Hawken

171 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO vs Hawken ++ (434 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will reign supreme

1. Mech Warrior Online (279 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Hawken (20 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

3. I'll Let you know when I play both Beta's (135 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

Will you even try Hawken ?

1. Yes I try out every FTP that looks good. (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

2. No .. MWO is the only Mech franchise for me (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

3. I'd play any Mech game atleast once. (184 votes [42.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.40%

The most important quality of a Mech game for me is

1. Customization of my mech * like ChromeHounds * (263 votes [29.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.42%

2. Realistic Simulation style Mech combat (356 votes [39.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.82%

3. A Faction based territory battle system .. * Like ChromeHounds * (186 votes [20.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

4. Arcade style Frag and respawn game mode (23 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

5. Sci-Fi futuristic Mechs similar too Gundam Wing / Armoured Core series. (66 votes [7.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 oohawkoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

hawken looks rather games consoleish to me =X ... so not interested ... tho the graphics do look pretty =3.... and it looks very much like an fps with mechs...

the mechs are about the only thing in common with the game i should think =3

#42 Chief Tigris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed Location

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostStalgrim, on 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Hawken seems like it was designed for teenagers, it's a fast, fast shooty 'splosion game, MWO has decades of other games, books and tabletop to line up with. Comparing them is just pointless.

Hawken is the 'mech equivalent of C.O.D. MWO is a MW game, it wasn't designed to appeal to a bunch of kids who don't like taking strategy into consideration and just want to run at each other and fire their guns and hope they shoot the right part of the enemy. When things are moving that fast and in (from what I can see) confined war zones then all you get is a giant clusterf...udge of explosions and running behind cover. I'm not talking about the tribes style of speed here where everything is about predicting movements and knowing how fast to come off which cliff to get the best distance for a flag cap or which area to fire a fractal grenade at to choke off the enemies escape so you can lock them down in an area that you're better in.

I'm fairly sure asking this question in the MWO forums is going to get you a lot of biased asnwers my friend, asking it in the Hawken forums will get you an utterly different set of results but with less grammar and punctuation. All I'm saying is that when I watch Hawken...I see nothing to it, it's just a mess of explosions, speed, health bars and jumping with powerful weapons that can kill in seconds. That generally leaves little time for planning or tactics.

Just my thoughts on the matter, yours might be different.

Couldn't agree more. Their battlesuits and weapons are toys compared to our Mechs..

To me, they are the equivalent of infantry or battlesuits in our realm. Their weaponry and size can't compare but are quite agile.

#43 Cencius

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

So this is what I'm seeing from the Hawken trailer:

1. Your battlesuit responds instantly to your commands. You can change your speed and direction in milliseconds.
2. Seems like your left and right inputs control your movement direction (as opposed to MWO's turning only setup).

These two things make Hawken feel more like a FPS game than a "true" mech game.

I guess what I'm saying is that sluggish and/or non-intuitive controls are the gameplay mechanics that convince me I am playing a mech game. It's kind of silly, but if I am not fighting the controls as much as I am fighting the enemy, the game feels like a traditional FPS.

#44 Drow

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hawken and Mechwarrior are most likely hardly comparable. There's a reason that MWO is available for PC only, while Hawken has just been announced for OUYA as well. Hawken seems fast paced while mwo provides the mechwarrior simulation feel that most "veterans" in the battletech franchise hold so dear (I know I do).

Of course I will try out Hawken! It's a mech game! And it is most likely excellent fun! No need to separate the community with regards to "giant robot action"; why not play both? The more giant mech games being released, the better!

#45 Omniparlous

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

What light487 said.

Looked briefly at Hawken back when I first became seriously interested in MWO and dismissed it very quickly indeed. Might turn out to be a great FPS game, but it looks like it will be a FPS game to all intents and purposes, albeit possibly with a degree of customisation normally absent in the FPS genre. Happy to play such games on local servers, but I prefer the more level playing field we have when playing a slightly slower paced game.

What will be interesting to see is whether the customisation of Hawken turns out to be functionally as great as I think I read it's meant to be. After all, sometimes you can be given hundreds of customisation but few real choices. I'm looking at you, Global Agenda, and looking at you very hard indeed!

I have no special love for Battletech/Mechwarrior - just for strategic gameplay, vehicular warfare, and heavy customisation in general. So I've got philosophical affiliation with MWO, but rather it just suits me style a whole heap more than Hawken will I suspect.

Omniparlous.

Edited by Omniparlous, 02 August 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#46 Skoll Lokeson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMalmö

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostItsDevin, on 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

*sniff.. sniff* .. cause I miss my ChromeHounds.. they just closed the servers one day with no warning .. and ... and it was terrible.

its just the one Mech game I have played the most, so its all I really have to compair too .
ive tried a few of the MW games and Several of the Armoured core series. but CH was the one that sucked me into the whole Mech vs Mech genre

Me too...

A few things beat a Cannon Hound duel between two skill players in CH. And the "role warfare" between Sniper/Howie/Cannon/AR was just perfectly balanced. Too bad some players/squads couldn't play without using broken builds, thats what kill the game. It's interesting that the players who said that the broken builds were OK stopped playing when they were the only ones left playing the game.

#47 Cencius

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostSkoll Lokeson, on 02 August 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Me too...

A few things beat a Cannon Hound duel between two skill players in CH. And the "role warfare" between Sniper/Howie/Cannon/AR was just perfectly balanced. Too bad some players/squads couldn't play without using broken builds, thats what kill the game. It's interesting that the players who said that the broken builds were OK stopped playing when they were the only ones left playing the game.

It was those stupid double doubles with explosive ammunition that ruined the game. The homing missile launcher hounds were okay, the armored cockpit hounds were okay, even the pile bunker hover hounds were okay. But those DD hounds were downright stupid.

#48 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostNoth, on 02 August 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Which in turn comes down to just basic capture and hold points. It's nothing new at all.

And this is different to MWO... how?

#49 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostStalgrim, on 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

Maybe you could make a case for COD 4 being a decent game but anything after that was just a cheap cash in on the younger demographics, I would know because unlike my friends who saw it coming after Modern Warfare and jumped ship I decided to stick with the series untill Mordern Warfare 3 which is possibly the worst multplayer game I've ever seen with a playerbase on Xbox/PC/PS3 of (purely my own experience) children. Why? Because that's who it's there to appeal to, they have the formula just right to hit all of the key areas that entertain the average players of those ages. I only stopped playing maybe 4 months ago? When I got 10th pretige lvl 1.

However, even AFTER saying that I have to ask:

"uneducated, undisciplined, etc etc people" NEVER said that, I said they prefered a jousting style of game play where tactics where minimalised which really IS the case. Go into any Gamestation/Gamestop/any other game retailer and have a look at their charts for XBOX/PS3 games and you'll see what kind of stuff they enjoy on average. Big explosions, fast gameplay and lots of guns with an average kill-time on most weapons ranging between 2 and 5 seconds.

Watch ANY of the Hawken gameplay, the kill times are low, explosions are everywhere, the game has very quick pacing and it feels like a fast shooter. You have a ton of shakey screen and a general atmosphere that is very similar to other twitch shooters and lots of blur, lots of flashes and loud noises.

When you add those gameplay snippets up you come to around 10-20 minutes total which is more than enough for most people to guess the general direction a game wants to go in. If you have ever played an arcade game then you can tell by the pacing and style of the game that it KNOWS who it's trying to attract.

Cool, and I agree with you on just about everything you said, except, and I may well have been wrong in this, I got the distinct vibe that dislike for a game extended to automatic dislike for its playerbase, epitomized by your comment about poor punctuation. Granted, I haven't been on those forums so I can't tell, but it seemed a little.... well, I don't like this word, but snobbish. It really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I over-reacted due to a misinterpretation. (EDIT) Reading your first comment again in context of your response shows me I was being overly spiky - my apologies.

View PostNoth, on 02 August 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Probably pretty low. It is being designed as a fast paced shooter.

I'm not saying Hawken is or will be bad. I'm pointing out that the crowd it will gather will be different than MWO.

Agreed totally =P I guess my problem was with terminology~

Edited by Scytale, 03 August 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#50 Snotling

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

To me, the Mechs in hawken dont feel big. It looks like watching minature roboters fight. Am i the only one who feels that way?

#51 Carthoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationPrague

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

I dont know why, but I am very unpleased with graphics of MWO - Hawken looks much better, more customizable etc.

Yet we see here another cartel agreement. Its like COD and BF. Hawken is COD, MWO is BF....and for christ sake I hope theyll add many many things to MWO. I dont wanna end playing Hawken with fatty tenagers on their X-boxes...

#52 Biffa Buttocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 100 posts
  • LocationWiltshire England

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Maybe I'm too old but I've never really thought that COD was that different from BF...and I certainly don't want MWO to be like any of those, if there's no point to the battles then there's no point in playing, faction war will decide the strength of the game, its community and longetivity..

#53 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostCarthoo, on 03 August 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

I dont know why, but I am very unpleased with graphics of MWO - Hawken looks much better, more customizable etc.

Yet we see here another cartel agreement. Its like COD and BF. Hawken is COD, MWO is BF....and for christ sake I hope theyll add many many things to MWO. I dont wanna end playing Hawken with fatty tenagers on their X-boxes...

I wouldn't make that comparison if I were you =P you'll get a lot of unhappiness from the MWO crowd! But like you, I sure hope it doesn't devolve into that sort of clash-of-the-fanboys mess =(

#54 Noob Weapons

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 433 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostItsDevin, on 02 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ok taking a quick poll on how people feel about the up coming Hawken Game. http://www.hawkengame.com/

It seems very interesting too me and I am very excited to play it . I am not a Die Hard MechWarrior fan Im a Die Hard MECH fan .

I played ChromeHounds the day it launched to the day they closed the servers and I still cry in my sleep about it.

Id like to hear everyone opinion about Hawken vs MWO and where you stand .
the Pros and cons of each game and what you think either game will do better at.

Judging from the videos of both games.. They are absolutely nothing alike.

This would be like comparing Halo 2 to Dota 2. They both have 2 in their name, but they are a completely different style of game.

Mechwarrior is a slower-paced tactic oriented gameplay, where Hawken looks like a fast paced first person shooter. I'll play both for sure, but I like the slow paced tactical feel of mechwarrior much better.

#55 HerpidusDerpidus

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

yeah, hawken seems like one of those games that tries to appeal to multiple crowds. it's trying to appeal to the fast paced CoD crowd, mechwarrior and armored core fans, and hipsters and it looks like it's going to please nobody (except the hipsters). the only people that will be playing it a month after it's release are the same 10 people that are probably playing brink or borderlands right now. people who like games because nobody else likes them.

personally. if it doesn't even have some loadout customization, i won't go anywhere near the game.

#56 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for all the good input . ive certainly learn't that most of you are BattleTech fans and prefer the more tactical slower non-customizable mechs.

as for me at this point given my love for CH *rip* .. looks like i might be better suited for the Hawken universe .. however .. as many of you said .. we will just have to wait and play both of them before we decide.

#57 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostItsDevin, on 03 August 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Thanks for all the good input . ive certainly learn't that most of you are BattleTech fans and prefer the more tactical slower non-customizable mechs.

as for me at this point given my love for CH *rip* .. looks like i might be better suited for the Hawken universe .. however .. as many of you said .. we will just have to wait and play both of them before we decide.

Non-customizable? How is MWO not, but Hawken is? Maybe your customization means something else then I'm familiar with?

#58 Phii Phy Pho Phum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 261 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hawken bots are elementals. I can totally see in my head a game that mixed both. Little power suits swarming over a hunchback while the hunchies own teammate are forced to hammer it with .50 cal machine gun fire and flame to scrape them off. It would be glorious.

#59 WarLiege

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postlight487, on 02 August 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I'll certainly have a look once there is more information about the game. I've seen a couple of videos showing the gameplay and at this point I am not really interested. It seems to me to be more of an Unreal Tournament / Team Fortress / Quake / etc with you in a Mechanised Skeletal Machine.. it seems to be more about twitch gameplay like those games I've listed than about actual Mech vs Mech combat. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.. It does look like a very cool and fun game for people who like that style of gameplay. I'd certainly try it out to be 100% sure.. but I think I'm fairly close, in my assumptions based on the information available, to come to these conclusions.

Not sure why you continually reference "ChromeHounds".. just curious about that.. it's of no concern.

I agree and felt the same. The atmosphere seemed pretty decent but everything seemed to happen too fast, and appeared too "consolish" to me. MWO, all feelings of the past mech games came back to me, even before trying it out in beta. Just judging by the video footage of MWO the devs provided i could tell it was going to be good.

#60 Ikarus

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I want to reference another very successful game. World of Warcraft, it had 3 single person games to establish an entire back story and a very robust and well document world that the MMO game took full advantage of.

Now comes MechWarrior Online with probably 10 times the back story and history of Warcraft and I get chills thinking of all the options that this could lead to in the final game. For me it is about the content and history as much as game play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users