MWO vs Hawken

171 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO vs Hawken ++ (434 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will reign supreme

1. Mech Warrior Online (279 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Hawken (20 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

3. I'll Let you know when I play both Beta's (135 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

Will you even try Hawken ?

1. Yes I try out every FTP that looks good. (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

2. No .. MWO is the only Mech franchise for me (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

3. I'd play any Mech game atleast once. (184 votes [42.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.40%

The most important quality of a Mech game for me is

1. Customization of my mech * like ChromeHounds * (263 votes [29.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.42%

2. Realistic Simulation style Mech combat (356 votes [39.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.82%

3. A Faction based territory battle system .. * Like ChromeHounds * (186 votes [20.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

4. Arcade style Frag and respawn game mode (23 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

5. Sci-Fi futuristic Mechs similar too Gundam Wing / Armoured Core series. (66 votes [7.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'll play both and enjoy both.

You don't have to pick.

#82 Morglum

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hawken isnt a mech game, its another FPS wrapped up in giant robot skins for all the ADD kids out there that are tired of CoD.

#83 Wooj

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSparta, IL

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hawken "mechs" = Protomechs.

And we know how well those turned out...

#84 siztem

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 03 August 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'll play both and enjoy both.

You don't have to pick.

What he and/or she said

View PostMorglum, on 03 August 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Hawken isnt a mech game, its another FPS wrapped up in giant robot skins for all the ADD kids out there that are tired of CoD.

Is not MWO an FPS wrapped in giant robot skins?

#85 Mr T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostStalgrim, on 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

"uneducated, undisciplined, etc etc people" NEVER said that, I said they prefered a jousting style of game play where tactics where minimalised which really IS the case.

Actually, you did, just in more words than he used to summarize what you said.

"Hawken seems like it was designed for teenagers"
"Hawken is the 'mech equivalent of C.O.D. MWO is a MW game, it wasn't designed to appeal to a bunch of kids"
"asking it in the Hawken forums will get you an utterly different set of results but with less grammar and punctuation."

Teenagers and kids, the two groups you decided to tie the focus of your reply to, are commonly considered uneducated and undisciplined when used in such a general, stereotypical manner, along with the whole connotation of the game designed towards those who like to think less, underlining this point you seem to be making. Then you go so far as to criticize the literacy capabilities of the same entire group of people you are referencing. So yes, you did say they were undisciplined and uneducated through oh so many words, even if you didn't say them specifically.

To further break down this self contradiction, you never said the word "Joust" either, so in one instance you can say you were talking about something that was merely implied, but not another because it suits you at that moment? No dice, my good sir.

Example:
If I type out a paragraph describing the properties of an apple, without using the word "apple", I'm still talking about an apple.

Example 2:
Person A: "I met this guy once, I sear he had the intelligence of a pebble. He would stare around like a neanderthal, mouth agape and drooling on the floor. His speech sounded as though he was trying to communicate with his long lost cavemen brethren."

Person B: "So you're telling me this person is a moron?"

Person A: "WHAT?! NO! I never said that."

Person B: "..."

P.S. I honestly don't care about the point you were trying to make or defending either side of it, it just ****** me off when people try to cover up the truth about their own actions in the most arrogant manner, where people can literally click once or twice and see the words you originally wrote.. which weren't even subtle to begin with. A good attribute for a life in politics, completely unnecessary, irritating and pointless anywhere else.

Edited by Mr T, 03 August 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#86 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

MW:O is different, it is a game of old, which I love so much for their longetivity, challenge and long lost ideas.

Hawken is... well, it seems to be just more of what I already see everywhere... I may be wrong, but I'll stick with the sure one.

#87 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostAym, on 03 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

So adjusting armor, heatsinks, ammo, engine size, and modules is not "a very high level of customization?" And weapon loadout is the same as weapon layout?

thats exactly what I am saying . you can change the internals but no real structure or cosmetic changes.. so every mech is the same and the options feel limited.. but again . Im used to Chrome Hounds which offered internal external and cosmetic customization.

not trolling I like MWO .. I just wish there was more ... how shall I say Detail ... but the game is young maybe I will get my wish . it just doesnt seem to be the BattleTech way

#88 Cencius

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

The level of customization and mech building in Chromehounds goes way, way beyond what the Battletech universe can offer. It's a necessary part of the game's lore; Clan omnimechs are probably the most modular you're ever going to get.

#89 Hidran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

hawken mechs look junky, and thrown-together. and they play like cougars with all the armor stripped. no wonder they are killed so fast. thats why you cant even compare the two. MW REIGNS SUPREME

#90 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

I still don't see how anyone can say Hawken is CoD with mechs. It's not even in closed beta yet.

#91 Harlock Fredrick

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMissoula Montana

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

i be up for trying Hawkens because its a mech game but it reminds me to much of some anime i watched as a kid that turned me away and when i look at alot of the mechs in that game i see Fat ballons bouncing all over the place. Tho i do like the steam punk typ look to it but Im to much of a Mechwarrior Fan and Robotech and so forth fan to realy want to play Hawkens. LONG LIVE BATTLETECH and MECHWARRIOR!!

#92 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

well there is defiantly some harsh criticism on Hawken in this forum .. and I Bet if I took the Same Poll too the Hawken Forums they would be telling me how all you MWO fans are sucked into some sort of Lame slow paced game and its for all those players that can track a target unless its slowly moving acrossed the screen .

Im looking forward to both game honestly .. I just hope that as new mechs appear in MWO it fulfills my need for Massive amounts of variety in Mech styles .. because if I cant build a custom looking Mech there better be so many mechs in the game that when I enter a battle noone else has that mech.

#93 ExecutionerNow

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I don't think there is much comparsion between Hawken and MWO. Hawken is more for the FPS crowd than the sim crowd.

#94 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hawken? oh! you mean that FPS, that looks like a mech? i didnt even notice it, i was too busy trying to get into beta.

#95 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation zone

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Will try both. Judging a game without playing is silly ;) .
I hope Hawken will have torso twist though, last i heard it doesn't...now that is a big negative point ;)

#96 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostTaigen, on 03 August 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

Will try both. Judging a game without playing is silly :( .
I hope Hawken will have torso twist though, last i heard it doesn't...now that is a big negative point ^_^

no torso twist would really kill the game for me .. it wouldnt be a proper Mech if it didnt

#97 Regurgitated

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSudeten

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm grateful for this topic... I actually hadn't heard or seen anything about it until now, just checked out some vids, it looked like my cup of tea.

I'm sure I'll spend more time with MWO and like it better because, **** yeah Battletech Mechs, but Hawken seems like the kind of game you could kick back and enjoy with some friends when you don't want to think or play too hard (hence why it's probably on Xbox...) Really I don't think we should have to choose, and not at least until we know a lot more about Hawken.

#98 BlazeOn

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

You guys should check out Reign of Thunder too. Spread the mech love. I will be playing MWO, Hawken AND Reign of Thunder.

#99 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Seems to me that 2012 marks the beginning of the age of mechs =P

#100 W0lfnMan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostScytale, on 09 August 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Seems to me that 2012 marks the beginning of the age of mechs =P

Let's us pray to internet gods that you are right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users