MWO vs Hawken

171 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO vs Hawken ++ (434 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will reign supreme

1. Mech Warrior Online (279 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Hawken (20 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

3. I'll Let you know when I play both Beta's (135 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

Will you even try Hawken ?

1. Yes I try out every FTP that looks good. (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

2. No .. MWO is the only Mech franchise for me (125 votes [28.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.80%

3. I'd play any Mech game atleast once. (184 votes [42.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.40%

The most important quality of a Mech game for me is

1. Customization of my mech * like ChromeHounds * (263 votes [29.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.42%

2. Realistic Simulation style Mech combat (356 votes [39.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.82%

3. A Faction based territory battle system .. * Like ChromeHounds * (186 votes [20.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

4. Arcade style Frag and respawn game mode (23 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

5. Sci-Fi futuristic Mechs similar too Gundam Wing / Armoured Core series. (66 votes [7.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Vultz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS, Canada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'll probably try Hawken but MWO will be the game ill stick to probably. I played the different mech games like armor core and heavy gear. But nothing beats the mechwarrior series that I grew up with!

#62 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostMonsoon, on 03 August 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

Non-customizable? How is MWO not, but Hawken is? Maybe your customization means something else then I'm familiar with?

defiantly i have a different Idea. only being able to adjust weapon systems layout is a very low tier customization in my mind..
if you were able to acctually make a unique Mech I would consider that a much higher Tier.

Now Im not familial with the whole BattleTech universe so I was a little unprepared for the generic Mech types. Im not trying to Troll or anything the Game is awsome so far .

But as stated in many other posts.. I am a ChromeHounds kind of Guy so I was expecting a very high swap arms torso legs pilot cabin etc . kind of options.

#63 Kanoku

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

For me personally Hawken feels like an FPS not a sim like MWO

just totally different games, like comparing Flight simulator to Star Fox (both good games, just totally different)

I love messing around with the mechlab, which i think isn't going to be a big part of Hawken (not sure tho)

#64 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

I reserve all comments until I see the dev interaction and playerbase/community there.

A great game with indifferent devs and a dbag community is not worth the time.

#65 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

At the moment it's hard to tell I think both games will do well in their own right

MWO is more of a simulation mech combat based game while Hawken seems like a fast paced FPS with mechs

And then you have a new heavy gear game being announced . But still hard to tell

#66 ChadWarden

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

You'd really have to have your head in the sand to say that Hawken doesn't look impressive... but, despite similar themes, the two games are quite different.

Mechwarrior is a Mech sim. Hawken is CoD robots. Both will be fun. Personally, I'll probably invest more time in Mechwarrior, since it's a deeper experience.

#67 Thornix

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hawken will probubly be more popular than MWO so I voted that Hawken will "reign supreme". I do think MWO will still be better, and I'm probubly not even going to try Hawken.

#68 Qarnage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hawken is like Call of Duty to MechWarrior Online.

#69 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostItsDevin, on 03 August 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

defiantly i have a different Idea. only being able to adjust weapon systems layout is a very low tier customization in my mind..
if you were able to acctually make a unique Mech I would consider that a much higher Tier.

Now Im not familial with the whole BattleTech universe so I was a little unprepared for the generic Mech types. Im not trying to Troll or anything the Game is awsome so far .

But as stated in many other posts.. I am a ChromeHounds kind of Guy so I was expecting a very high swap arms torso legs pilot cabin etc . kind of options.

I appreciate that you want to make your own mechs entirely, but consider what you are asking for. You want to be able to just replace any part on a highly complex, balanced, extremely expensive mech, so you can make it do what another mech can already do.

In the Battletech universe, you get many chassis, and you switch out the components. In other games you get parts of a chassis, with components, and switch them around. (Battletech does this later with Omnimechs, but that is a different story.) In the end you get very similar customization levels, just different styles.

#70 W0lfnMan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I LOVE...let me say that again...LOVE...once more, just for effect...LOVE...robot games. MW2 was my gateway drug. I hate FPS games. Never been very good at them, hence why I dislike them. That is not to say FPS isn't a great genre. I can see the appeal and a part of me laments not giving the time to it, to learn to be good. Yet I digress.

As I see it, both games are robot games. That much is obvious. However, from the in game play videos, it is clear that MWO has kept the feel of a walking turret that can not rapidly change directions and must be "driven" in the classic Simulator way. You have a turning radius, think driving your car. By contrast the FPS has the moving one direction then by the speed of button push moving a different direction, think the movement possibilities of a highly athletic person.

Hawken is clearly a robot FPS with jump jets. Now maybe we are seeing only one Mech type, but for now, that is all I can go on. You can clearly see strafing, rapid change in directions (moving forward then backwards at the speed of a button press vs. slowing down to stop then changing direction). Even the venerable Jenner must turn in an arc when moving and must follow Newton's First Law of Motion when going from forward to stop and/or reverse. Hawken has followed the very successful modern game model of FPS twitch gaming. I do not say this derogatorily. Twitch gaming requires rapid decision making, rapid reaction time, excellent hand eye coordination, all in a fast past, move or die environment. My point is the two games follow two different major game genres.

The similarities of MWO and Hawken end at both being Robot games and as such both games will appeal to different people for different reasons.

Now while I have said I hate FPS's, I've also said, in case you missed it, I LOVE robot games. As such Hawken will get some degree of my attention. Who knows, maybe it will be my gateway drug into FPS's just as MW2 was for robot Simulators.

#71 Snapster

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hawken seems like a pretty fun game, but for me, Mechwarrior is the franchise I grew up with. I'll have to side with Mechwarrior Online. And Battletech simply rocks.

#72 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm planning on giving it a try.

Signed up for BETA but need to recruit 3 people, please click the link to help me out...Thanks

http://www.playhawke...hp?ref=9007122D

#73 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hawken = Call of Duty: Robot Warfare.

No thanks, they can have all the screaming 12 year olds from that playerbase.

#74 ItsDevin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

I see a lot of people referring to Hawken as CoD for Mech ... is there re spawns in the game ??

#75 W0lfnMan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostItsDevin, on 03 August 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

I see a lot of people referring to Hawken as CoD for Mech ... is there re spawns in the game ??

That simple description normally is attributed to the style of gameplay controls, not so much minor aspects present in many different genres. I used to described all FPS's as "Doom Clones" many many moons ago.

Edited by W0lfnMan, 03 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#76 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Another one of these threads..... yay.

Hawken looks like COD

MWO would be almost comparable to Red Orchestra.

#77 Rebirth

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure. Its dark here.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

I think I will play hawken when I burn myself out on hours of MWO (You know, 24 hours at a time) and I want to go to a different style of play. But aside from that MWO will probably be the game I stick to because it is a more relaxing enviornment for me(Weird?). I prefer to have some time to think about my next move rather than to rely solely on twitch reactions. Besides, if I want twitch mech gaming, I will go play Armored Core.

#78 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

So adjusting armor, heatsinks, ammo, engine size, and modules is not "a very high level of customization?" And weapon loadout is the same as weapon layout?

View PostItsDevin, on 02 August 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

and for the record .. I dont consider MWO to be a very customizable game .. you can adjust weapon layout .. and thats just about it.
where other Mech Games provide a very High level of Customization which i feel bring more quality to the game.

#79 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hawkin vs MWO: Stll a better love story than Twilight.

#80 siztem

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Not gonna lie - I'm *veyr* interested in Hawken. Even though MWO is still in Beta and much of the game hasn't been released yet, I'm pretty sure - just by looking at the early gameplay footage of Hawken - that (Captain Obvious here) Hawken will be much more intense given that it will be focused around fast-paced, high-speed light-mech battles set in dense urban environments.

(get your pikes and torches out now, fellas)

And as much of a lover of the mechwarrior universe as I am, I feel like Hawken will be a lot more exciting to play, and has the potential to be an MWO-killer.

Edited by siztem, 03 August 2012 - 01:48 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users