Victor, Kai, Hohiro,Sun-tzu,Phelen

91 replies to this topic

#1 THE 4thbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationN.Y.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

Witch is your favorite character out of these five, and why is he your favorite character. (and if your favorite character is a lady from the same time period you can write about why you like her)

#2 Vincent Hall

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

As much as I despise the capellen confederation, it would have to be Sun-tzu, because he managed to overcome the struggle he had against turning into the horrible tyrant that was his mother while her "ghost" stood over his shoulder trying to get him to kill practically everyone and praise his sister for the atrocities she had done.

#3 THE 3rdbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sun-Tzu:-XIN SHENG!!!

#4 The Kappa

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Phelen Kell, I just prefer his attitude and mannerisms and how he rose up through the ranks of Clan Wolf, and became the khan of Clan Wolf in Exile . That coupled witht he fact they are wardens not the crusaders from the clan is one more reason.

#5 The Paleo King

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWherever the C-bills flow

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Victor Steiner-Davion because he was a stand-up guy all around and actually tried to make peace with the Clans after the Great Refusal on Strana Mechty, and because he fought in so many battles that determined the fate of the IS for his whole life. Not like Kai Allrd Liao who was basically just a Solaris Jock.

Although I would probably pick Anastasius Focht if he was on the list, he's one of the coolest and most interesting Battletech characters IMO.

Favorite female characters are Melissa Steiner and Khan Kabrinski of the Ghost Bears. Melissa because of her all around lovable personality, and Kabrinski because she kept the Bears together during some very tough times and succesfully maneuvered around the intrigues and confusion of the Crusader Wolves crisis.

#6 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Kai, out of the ones you listed.

He was a talented mechwarrior, great tactician, and as loyal of a friend as you could have, he is one of those guys who would always have your back, and a good moral compass as well.

Anastasius Focht is without a doubt one of the best characters in all of the battletech series, but Galen *** should be on this list as well.

#7 THE 4thbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationN.Y.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Can't argue with you guys about Focht there. he is on of the best characters in battle tech

i would have to say Victor for the simple fact that he is able to lead so well and is Just as good in a mech.

#8 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hohiro. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Davion at heart, but Kai and Victor are TOO good, if you know what I mean. Hohiro was a true Samurai at herat, yet was able to realize the Draconis Combine needed to adapt in order to survive. And his best friend was Yakuza, and that's just awesome.

#9 Peter Bentley

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationTownsville, Australia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

They are all Great characters, but the best are the guys behind the scenes writing allthe stories for us to read and get caught up in.

#10 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

btw it´s Phelan, not Phelen... :)

#11 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

I always preferred Shin Yodama over any of those. Maybe cause he piloted a Phoenix Hawk.

#12 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

Kai! I'd go gay for him :)

I liked Phelan earlier on (Kerensky Trilogy), but later when he was Khan of Wolves-in-Exile he was way too seriously written, not the same guy at all.

#13 Concords

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Victor is a badass, a scholar, and a gentleman. Prince of Havoc was one of my favorite books growing up.

#14 Cassius Brown

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Victor and Katherine Steiner-Davion.

Not because they were super awesome best things ever, but because both were fundamentally flawed characters.

Victor was a fantastic leader of men, a superb strategist, and a decent mech pilot. He knew how to inspire loyalty and attracted people of excellent caliber and ability. If he had been the second child, and assigned to be the AFFC Marshal of the Armies, the Steiner-Davion armed forces would have been nearly unstoppable.

But he was a terrible First Prince. He just wasn't a political creature, and didn't really have the moral flexiblity necessary to deal with the things a House Lord would have to deal with. He also didn't have the mindset to look for and properly anticipate the treachery and back dealing that plagues the upper echelons of Inner Sphere power players. It just wasn't his nature.

Flip Victor and you have Katherine. A completely political creature, who couldn't have developed a military tactic or judged a military leader's value if her realm depended on it (which it did, and look how that turned out). But her lack of military expertise wasn't her only flaw, nor her largest one. She lacked morality, and she lacked a moral advisor she could trust and would listen to. Because of her lack of morality, she isolated herself, and basically had to go it alone. She didn't appoint people she could trust, because she didn't trust anyone, and instead appointed people she could manipulate. Which is why her military was run by (mostly) sycophants rather than strategists. She picked people who wouldn't turn against her rather than people who could get the job done.

If things had gone a little differently, and there had been a greater bond between siblings, the Fed-Com could conceivably have become the new Star League. With Victor tempering Katherine's ruthlessness and enabling her conquests, they would have been a nightmare for the other States. But because they were at odds, it gave us two people who were custom built to exploit each others weaknesses, which gave us some pretty good stories.

Brgrudgingly, I'd pick Sun-Tzu as a distant third. He was a Katherine without her weakness regarding appointing sycophants. He recognized ability and promoted it. He also displayed the patience necessary to play the long game that Katherine lacked in the end.

Edited by Cassius Brown, 26 January 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#15 Ross McKinnon

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I would go with Tyra Mirborg. She single handedly stoped the clan invasions by crashing her aerospace fighter into the clan battleship killing off there ilkhan Leo Showers. This gave the time necessary for the Inner Sphere to regroup and use new tactics against the clan.

The other people that you mention also did things that would help out during the clan war. But Tyra bought them the time with her life.

#16 Outlaw Wolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationStatus: Classified

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

my votes on Phelan. Great mechwarrior and leader, and his demeanor can be portrayed as a somewhat silent deadly type which is similar to my playstyle.

#17 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I liked Phelan in this time period. But Greyson Death Carlyle was da'man!

#18 Thoth

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Phelan was my favourite when the novels first came out years ago.

I've grown to appreciate Victor more and more as the years have gone on.

#19 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

He's not on the list but, Justin Allard.

Or, let's get really old school.....Rex "Grease" Anderson. A small time tech who just happened to save a small mercenary force from destruction by Kurita forces. Of course, wouldn't you know it, that small mercenary force proved pivotal in helping to stop the Clans from taking Luthien.

#20 DarkReaver

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationJihad Day,Hellgate

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Phelan for me. Victor is militarist while Katerine Steiner is schemer/media politican, Kai is the Solaris champion trapped in Sun-Tzu 's Xin Sheng Struggle to his realm Compact.Just to said all are awesome to their own individual characters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users